Implications of 3D speeds at all times?

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
A trend which started with the GeForce FX, just about every modern GPU has separate 2D and 3D clock speeds. My question is this: does this separation increase the card's lifespan?

Would I be at risk running a Radeon X1950XTX at 3D speeds (or perhaps slightly higher) at all times? Is this something purely temperature-dependant?

Thanks.

Its there just to keep noise and heat down as well as power when not gaming. It will be fine but kinda pointless as well.

Wouldn't be pointless if you are folding@home with that X1950XTX (which you should be)

The reason I ask is it seems alot simpler in ATITool to simply leave the card running at 3D speeds all the time, versus messing around with the 2D/3D detection. I suppose temperature is out of the question considering how hot the thing idles in 2D mode anyway...

Not really. It's not a lot of trouble and it keeps temperatures and electricity use way down.

The reason I ask is it seems alot simpler in ATITool to simply leave the card running at 3D speeds all the time, versus messing around with the 2D/3D detection. I suppose temperature is out of the question considering how hot the thing idles in 2D mode anyway...

Use the latest rivatuner ;) no bugs and auto detects 3d .
Just set the clocks u want , job done :)

I underclock my 7900 GS to 50% of normal clock in 2D mode, i.e. drop it down from the normal 450 MHz to 225 MHz. To do this I use Riva Tuner 2.0. The GPU runs much cooler and uses less power

My GPU is only 38C right now. :D

When gaming I overclock it to 620 MHz

Well, realizing the low limitations of this card, I've decided to revert to stock speeds and the default CCC 2D/3D detection. So much for this thread!

Thanks for all of your reccomendations.

Back