Impact to adding WD M.2 2280 (2TB, sata) to existing setup

sh0rty

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure if this is post is better placed in mobo or here, but had to start somewhere.

New build:
ASUS ROG X570 CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 PCIe NVMe (1tb)

I have a brand new WD Blue M.2 2280 (2tb, sata III) laying around that i was thinking about adding to my second M.2 slot. Do you think there will be any issues or really performance loss since this drive is not PCIe?

I already have a WD black 1TB inside as a download drive, but was thinking about replacing with the WD blue.
THoughts?

Shouldn't be a huge difference–sata SSDs are already very fast, usually faster than your network connection (with exceptions, of course).

You might notice a difference in local reads/writes and transfers of large files, datasets, and loading times for some games, but for small individual files it'll be unnoticable.

Shouldn't be a huge difference–sata SSDs are already very fast, usually faster than your network connection (with exceptions, of course).

You might notice a difference in local reads/writes and transfers of large files, datasets, and loading times for some games, but for small individual files it'll be unnoticable.
I was reading somewhere, that once I install the second drive that they then share resources or split them, but wanted to make sure. I guess I could run benchmarks before and after just to see.

I was reading somewhere, that once I install the second drive that they then share resources or split them, but wanted to make sure. I guess I could run benchmarks before and after just to see.
Ah, I'd have to read the mb manual to be sure. But you already have a drive in the slot, so if that were the case, I imagine it'd be the same before and after? Unless switching to a sata is the reason, but that seems a weird restriction...

Yeah, need to look at the manual. Gotta get ready for work now, though.

Ah, I'd have to read the mb manual to be sure. But you already have a drive in the slot, so if that were the case, I imagine it'd be the same before and after? Unless switching to a sata is the reason, but that seems a weird restriction...

Yeah, need to look at the manual. Gotta get ready for work now, though.
Agree and reading up now. thanks for the replies.

ASUS ROG X570 CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
on amd x570 (sure its the same on X370/470 as well) both slots can be used for SATA and NVME m.2 ssds (but strongly recommended to use top slot for NVME m.2 and bottom slot for Sata m.2, due to top slot is directly connected to CPU for NVME)

you lose 1 Sata port per m.2 slot if sata m.2 ssd is used, if both slots are NVME m.2 ssds you get to keep all sata ports (it's not like intel where you lose 2 ports if bottom slot is used)

Back