Immortal: Unchained- Souls-like RPG-shooter

polonyc2

Fully [H]
yes another Souls-like game...can never have too many of those :D ...Immortal: Unchained blends hardcore Souls-like combat with shooter mechanics...The developer also announced that the game’s closed alpha will take place March 8-12 on PC...the alpha will offer up two of the game’s locations, and you can sign up for it today at the official site...

http://immortalthegame.com/

The studio purports that Immortal: Unchained is "the first hardcore shooter for the Action-RPG genre", in which you'll need to "guard yourself with a range of unique guns, armor and special weapons as you fight your way across the nine worlds to find the heart of decay."

Looks good. Signed up.

The Surge was fun, but pure melee combat and running around a warehouse got old. This looks like it might deliver what I've ultimately wanted in a Sci Fi Souls-like: dark and atmospheric, with a clever, complementary mixture of melee and ranged combat. Art style looks like a blend of Dark Souls 2, Mass Effect and Warhammer 40K. Definitely promising.

Interest is also piqued by what looks like Bloodborne style dash-dodge in the trailer, as well as fast and seamless transitions between firing ranged weapons and slashing with swords. Could make for some crazy fights, assuming a skill curve with some depth to it that rewards practice and mastery.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I'm hopeful. To me, I'd actually be really interested in something like Dead Space with melee combat.

Thanks for the heads up. My key went straight into Spam. Hopefully it's far enough along to be enjoyable.

I got an alpha key as well...looks like everyone in here that registered got one...when I went to activate it on Steam the name was 'Project Fluttershy' :)

Put me in the not impressed category, its like a half assed attempt at merging Warframe and Dark Souls.

is it possible to remap keyboard controls?...every time I select a different key for any control it never keeps it and always goes back to the default layout...is it disabled for the alpha?...why is 1440p not supported?...gameplay and setting is OK but nothing special...I think the dash and melee functions have the potential to really play a major role in combat...nothing in the alpha has wowed me thus far

Played it for about 5 minutes. Not seeing an option for "normal" 4K (3840×2160) at the moment. Instead it has that weird 4096x2160 res. Just went with 1080p instead.
It feels way more "loose" than Dark Souls. Basically when you hit a button it takes a milisecond to do anything. Movement feels heavier and momentum is clearly taken into account.
Will hopefully have some time to actually accomplish some things tomorrow.

are people able to remap keyboard controls or is it just me it's not working for?

I played a little this morning. I think it's okay. Obviously it's pretty early, but I can see it being pretty good once they're finished with it. It already feels better than the Surge does. Right now everything is a bit too sterile, though. As plain as the environment is, it should pull hundreds of FPS in 4K.

Well 94 minutes should be enough to say it sucks, I get its alpha but man... Shooting drains stamina, lock on mechanic is a mess, melee, don't even get me started on that. Just pickup Warframe and you have a superior gaming experience. I am not even going to compare this to DS anymore...

there wasn't enough of a balance between guns vs melee in the alpha...felt like a typical shooter where there was almost no point to using your sword...so Dark Souls with guns :)

It's a closed alpha, guys, so give the devs all the feedback you can.
Played it for about 5 minutes. Not seeing an option for "normal" 4K (3840×2160) at the moment. Instead it has that weird 4096x2160 res. Just went with 1080p instead.
It feels way more "loose" than Dark Souls. Basically when you hit a button it takes a milisecond to do anything. Movement feels heavier and momentum is clearly taken into account.
Will hopefully have some time to actually accomplish some things tomorrow.
4096x2160 is DCI 4K, which is a standard along with UHD 4K (3840x2160). Odd that they would choose it over UHD 4K when the latter is much more common. I can only think of 2 displays off the top of my head that are native DCI 4K.

I found this game very bland. My son watched me play it for a hour and we both agreed the environments were drab and all the same and the combat felt clunky. My son then asked for me to reinstall Dark Souls 3 and he ended up playing it all weekend.

It's a closed alpha, guys, so give the devs all the feedback you can.

4096x2160 is DCI 4K, which is a standard along with UHD 4K (3840x2160). Odd that they would choose it over UHD 4K when the latter is much more common. I can only think of 2 displays off the top of my head that are native DCI 4K.

even the 1440p option was weird...I forget now what it was since the game is no longer in alpha but it wasn't 2560 x 1440...it was something like 2490 x 1440

The game was seemingly removed from console stores in August. There is no information as to why this happened. The game is still available on Steam, but it could very well disappear at some point. Has the developer abandoned the game?

Back