Imitation Guns Banned From Games Convention Over Security Fears

HardOCP News

[H] News
While I totally understand this action being taken, it's pretty damn sad that it has come to this. I bet these guys are going to be pissed:

Imitation weapons have been banned from one of the world's biggest video games conventions following recent terror attacks. "Due to the terrible incidents of the past weeks, the safety and preventions measures at Gamescom 2016 have been adapted," the organisers said in a statement. "The measures apply for all participants of Gamescom."

what terrible incidents involving guns from halo or other video games? What did i miss? Did someone kill people with a portal gun?

LOL, smart organizers have adapted years ago a policy of requiring all weapons be marked with a special tag upon check in and badge pickup where the weapon is inspected to make sure it's not real and not functional.

My only issue with this in smaller cons like PAX east/ Katuscon/ Otakon is that non gun people are doing the inspection. They have no idea what is real or fake or harmless/harmful.

Not to mention an ugly orange tag that ruins your pictures.

Do they metal detect everyone? If not then gtfo. It's a pussy window dressing move then.

Real terrorists could just bum rush the entrance.

Supercon in FL had a no weapons policy last month. There was a huge reduction in costumes because no one wants to walk around as a soldier or villain without a weapon/gun.. it just looks lame.

that many strange people, wearing costumes that hide who the are. I kinda understand that. Wearing an open carry when people know you are both armed and can take a picture of your face and or at least know who attacked you... I would still allow the melee weapons though. grin. The funny thing is if you can get a German permit ahead of time you can still carry a normal weapon in the streets. Certain parts of Berlin I would openly carry a gun others I would grin and take in the sights only worrying about pickpockets. I wonder is someone noticed the call of duty guns are usually ar-15's as in real working semiautomatic guns. At the MW3 launch party it was actually the saw version with the m249 and full selector switch version of a HK upper M-16. I had to field strip and shoot those while in the military. The look on the guns face when I rucked it was funny. The photographer grinned and took a picture but one of the active duty military advisors freaked out and said don't do that in front of civilians. I think most people were drunk at that point, but likely the event organiztor does not want to deal with live weapons you have to fill out paper work to import weapons, register the serial numbers and ballistic negatives of the shot through ballistic jelly, and several images of fired round.

LOL, smart organizers have adapted years ago a policy of requiring all weapons be marked with a special tag upon check in and badge pickup where the weapon is inspected to make sure it's not real and not functional.

Even better, gun shows, where people are carrying real guns in the door to barter and sell, have their guns checked and tagged at the door. But in all these cases it will not stop someone from walking in and doing harm.

In fact, at a real gun show, you don't need to bring your own guns, the ones on the convention floor work just fine. All you need to bring is your own bullets loaded in your own magazines.

Do they metal detect everyone? If not then gtfo. It's a pussy window dressing move then.

Real terrorists could just bum rush the entrance.

True, but just like that event (in Texas I think), local security picked up on a terror attack and engaged them before they even got to the door.

Even better, gun shows, where people are carrying real guns in the door to barter and sell, have their guns checked and tagged at the door. But in all these cases it will not stop someone from walking in and doing harm.

In fact, at a real gun show, you don't need to bring your own guns, the ones on the convention floor work just fine. All you need to bring is your own bullets loaded in your own magazines.

Easier to just secretly bring a loaded weapon in than to find one that is not trigger locked and tethered to the table as well as fits your ammo/magazine that you brought.

Also it probably is a bad idea to try to shoot people in a room full of people with guns. Just sayin :p

You don't even need that. You can buy mags and ammo at the show too. Quick stop in the John and you're cocked and locked.

If you carry in, they tell you to leave mags/ammo in your car, but don't frisk you either.

Supercon in FL had a no weapons policy last month. There was a huge reduction in costumes because no one wants to walk around as a soldier or villain without a weapon/gun.. it just looks lame.
That's ok, everyone only really cares about women in sexy outfits... I should say at least somewhat sexy women in sexy outfits, no one wants to some fatty dressed up as Princess Leia in a gold slave girl bikini

My main concern would be the old ladies with their 5 gallon pressure cookers "to feed the peasants" or are they going to blow stuff up?

How many events ever have people in shows of this nature in costume taken violent gun action? Most times it's some blowhard who either walks in a side entrance and mows people down or he comes right through the front door dressed normal.
This is just pandering to the anti gun people, no criminal ever was thwarted by a no guns allowed sign or policy.

Haha, no terrorist is going to shoot up a gun show. It's where they buy their weapons.

My only issue with this in smaller cons like PAX east/ Katuscon/ Otakon is that non gun people are doing the inspection. They have no idea what is real or fake or harmless/harmful.

Not to mention an ugly orange tag that ruins your pictures.
The Conventions in Kansas City (NakaKon, PlanetCon, ComicCon) don't bother with this bullshit. They post police officers at the entrance. There's only one possible entrance, but many exits which helps funnel everyone through a checkpoint. If your blade is sharp, take it to your car then come back. If your gun is real, take it back to your car. They don't care if your prop has a tag or orange paint on the barrel. Criminals can paint orange on the barrel of a real gun. Why not cut the bullshit out of the equation and just have someone do a quick inspection? It's pretty damn obvious to a police officer what is real or not. I've seen people walk around as Deadshot and Punisher decked out with full realistic looking M-16's without orange tips. I had to actually go up to them to tell they were props.

Not only that, they have about a dozen or more officers patrolling the conventions themselves doing everything from crowd control, coordinating EMT's, to simply looking for thieves. Which is what they should be doing in the first place.

I've been to other conventions and even Ren Faires where they required swords stay in scabbards, barrels have plugs, etc. Most times this has more to do with insurance than it does safety.

Will this impact cleavage in cosplay?
Only if the cleavage is the weapon itself.

ashley-madison.jpg

Think of a real terrorist attack.

Guy walks in to the entrance with a backpack and an AK47.

Yells "ALLAH SNACKBAR!"

Starts dumping rounds at whatever minimal security is at the entrance.

Knows there is no chance of someone being legally armed with their licensed concealed firearm, so can take his time to open fire, since the cops won't arrive for 10 minutes.

Or he comes in with improvised explosive devices with burner phones for activation, plants them all over disguised as props, and then walks out and kaboom.

If they can do this over and over again in France, which has strict anti-gun laws up the wazoo, they can do it in a "gun free zone" comicon.

This is just some poorly thought out pussification move by some leftist organizers that care more about "feels" than "reals". They will make up some excuse to why firearms shouldn't be in video games next, as this is just agenda driven nonsense.

<snip>
This is just some poorly thought out pussification move by some leftist organizers that care more about "feels" than "reals". They will make up some excuse to why firearms shouldn't be in video games next, as this is just agenda driven nonsense.

Hopefully not, but on some level I fear you're correct.

It's been shown repeatedly that violent crimes go down as the amount of video game playing goes up. It's not surprising if anyone bothers to think about it. We males are filled up with testosterone and an urge to just mix it up sometimes. Giving people a safe outlet which scratches that itch reduces violence. But again, if you can't see that perspective, the reductive and false analysis is that violent games = more violence.

I know I want to punch people less after playing DOOM. Your mileage may vary. :)

Wow what a bunch of terrible and shallow remarks.
Due to the ban they can pick up people carrying any kind of gun without thinking twice if it was fake or not, that might make it left wing for you gun fanatics but it saves you shooting innocent people.

In Germany they actually care enough about people to take these measures.

Due to the ban they can pick up people carrying any kind of gun without thinking twice if it was fake or not, that might make it left wing for you gun fanatics but it saves you shooting innocent people.

And in Germany the fucking government created the mess they now get to use to oppress more of their citizens because of their own derp ideals. And in GERMANY the chances of an actual fucking citizen bringing a REAL firearm to a "con" is NIL. So post some police at the checkpoints and be done with it and let the nerds do their thing.

GD Sheep are more worried about an inanimate object, when they should be worried about the fifteen chemicals in a normal house I can build a fucking explosive device with or the 9000 other ways someone that means to do actual harm can go forth and accomplish something. The NERDS have FAKE GUUUUUUNNNNS! Think of the CHILDREN!

The article said "all imitation weapons and weapon-like items." that means fake foam swords are banned too? Not just guns. What a retarded policy.

Good thing here in FL they can say no weapons and put up signs but we can still legally carry concealed. If they setup metal detectors they could refuse entry other than that it's non of their business.

Good thing here in FL they can say no weapons and put up signs but we can still legally carry concealed. If they setup metal detectors they could refuse entry other than that it's non of their business.

So when that was created no one in the room said "So people can bring loaded guns in their pockets but plastic laser guns are checked at the door?"

So when that was created no one in the room said "So people can bring loaded guns in their pockets but plastic laser guns are checked at the door?"
No, it's so idiots posting idiotic signs can't prevent you from effective self defense. Businesses can prevent workers from carrying as policy, but it's not illegal to carry. You might lose your job if caught though. Businesses cannot prevent you from having a gun in your car either.

There's a bullshit loophole of the company deals with dangerous goods for some reason. Disney prevented worker guns in cars die to their fireworks shows. Ridiculous.

It's just more FUD being spread by the country that anyone can be an active shooter at any time.

As was said, its more of a feels than reals issue, and a statement against "glorifying" of firearms that many leftists are taking.

And there is nothing wrong with even checking props and marking them, so that no one is injured inadvertently or carrying without a permit. But to check a fake firearm, and then confiscate it anyway "just in case" is going full retard, since it wouldn't stop a mass-shooter.

And if they want a simple way to make cons safer and more awesome, hand out free bacon that is required to gain entry.

That will keep out the militant Muslims and vegans, who nobody wants there anyway, and everyone else gets free bacon! Win win!

I've been to other conventions and even Ren Faires where they required swords stay in scabbards, barrels have plugs, etc. Most times this has more to do with insurance than it does safety.

This is exactly the reason. With public events, Insurance and liability has as strong of a voice as the core idea of the event.

I think you guys are applying US gun-ownership ideas to a German convention. They don't have gun shows in Germany where you can buy live firearms. Firearms are strictly controlled and only available after background checks from registered arms dealers. They also require licenses and are very restricted in what is legal to own privately. It's not that surprising that they're say "no fake guns" because the culture in Germany is significantly different that it is in the USA.

Even then it's a bit of an overreach, they should probably just ban fake guns made out of metal (even idiotic show "security" people know what metal is). Plastic and wood only, and tag them, this covers almost all of the props that cosplayers normally have. It provides that same idea of safety that this does and doesn't mess with people's costumes as much.

Sounds like Germany needs to be liberated again....

I think you guys are applying US gun-ownership ideas to a German convention. They don't have gun shows in Germany where you can buy live firearms. Firearms are strictly controlled and only available after background checks from registered arms dealers. They also require licenses and are very restricted in what is legal to own privately. It's not that surprising that they're say "no fake guns" because the culture in Germany is significantly different that it is in the USA.

Even then it's a bit of an overreach, they should probably just ban fake guns made out of metal (even idiotic show "security" people know what metal is). Plastic and wood only, and tag them, this covers almost all of the props that cosplayers normally have. It provides that same idea of safety that this does and doesn't mess with people's costumes as much.

International trade fair | IWA OutdoorClassics
"Whether hunting accessories or personal protection: The world-leading trade fair IWA OutdoorClassics shows high-quality guns and outdoor products from international suppliers. Experience light materials, great comfort and improved functions. The equipment for civilian and official self-defense is also the centre of attraction.

The best-known manufacturers and traders meet here: The trade fair for hunting, shooting sports, outdoor activities and security starts on 3 March 2017 in Nuremberg."

Basically everything you said is exactly how it is here in the U.S the only false claim was that Germany doesn't have gun shows.

And in Germany the fucking government created the mess they now get to use to oppress more of their citizens because of their own derp ideals. And in GERMANY the chances of an actual fucking citizen bringing a REAL firearm to a "con" is NIL. So post some police at the checkpoints and be done with it and let the nerds do their thing.
GD Sheep are more worried about an inanimate object, when they should be worried about the fifteen chemicals in a normal house I can build a fucking explosive device with or the 9000 other ways someone that means to do actual harm can go forth and accomplish something. The NERDS have FAKE GUUUUUUNNNNS! Think of the CHILDREN!

Video emerges appearing to show a second shooter at Munich mall

I guess they do not like it when this happens and fake guns are usually banned anyway. Most people in EU are not that gun happy anyway. Very strict laws and that does not work all the time even.

Making an exception for the event prolly was not going to happen after the shooting in Munich..

Back