Imaging Windows NT 4.0

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I have a client that is a large paper company. They have machines called "Sheeters" which basically cut huge batches of paper into sizes appropriate for shipping.

There are two Sheeters and they are driven by Windows NT 4.0 boxes. It is a standard build of 4.0 with custom software running which powers the machines. The software was custom made and exists nowhere else but these two machines.

Now... the kicker. Both computers display a "SMART warning: hardware failure imminent" message upon POST. "

Both machines operate without issue as far as we can tell. However, I'd like to get an image made of these hard drives just in case something does happen.

We have already made Ghost images of the machines. However, the images were somewhat incomplete and inconsistent. Parts of Windows and the custom application were missing. This leads to believe that we're dealing with bad sectors.

In the past, I have had excellent luck with Acronis. However, the build that I'm using did not recognize the drives (Acronis 11).

I need some sort of solution ASAP. Does anyone have any personal experience imaging this OS? The drives are formatted via FAT so I don't really know why Acronis doesn't see them.

Is there an app that will image a drive while it is in the OS?

Not sure about while in the OS....due to changes while the system is running I'm not sure how the imaging software would handle that. Your best bet is to use a livecd/usb and use dd to image the drive. Should image anything that linux can recognize as a disk drive.

Are the drives attached to some specialized controller card? If so, there might be a driver missing from your Acronis boot disk.

Whatever you use, you're going to have to do it outside of the OS -- as in boot to something else and run your program from that. I'd look at what Robstar suggested above. As long as you get your syntax right with DD, it should build you a nice raw image of the disk.

No, they're not plugged into anything special. Good point on the driver thing.

I'll get a LiveCD built up and give that a try. Thanks guys.

Use Drive Snapshot which can create Disk Image Backups while Running Windows NT per below info:

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Drive SnapShot 1.40

Disk Image Backup/Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/7/2008/2008 R2/PE/x64/Vista

Create Disk Image Backups, While Running Windows
The Backup process will back up all your data into a single file, containing all data, including system data and registry, for total security, should your computer ever crash.
There is no restart (to DOS) necessary. Ever.

Continue your work, while the Backup is in progress
The new Snapshot technology ensures that all data are consistent, and reflect the PC's data at the start of backup. There are no difficulties with opened files. Ever.
This enables a very fast and easy way to back up servers and other computers, that must run 24 hours a day.

Easy Use and Restore of single Files or directories
Drive Snapshot creates a virtual drive, containing all your drive's data. You may use, compare, or restore these files directly from the Disk Image file.
This works with any program of your choice, including (of course) the Windows Explorer

Complete Restore of a disk in case of Disaster
If a disk is restored to its original state, it will be exactly the same as at the time of Backup - byte for byte.
Restoring a system partition will require DOS; other drives can be restored using Windows

Compatible with all Windows file systems (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS)
Supports Linux EXT2/3/4/Reiser

Compatible with all Windows RAID Methods

Very easy and comprehensive command line interface
This makes automation of regular tasks a breeze.

System requirements:
Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 3, 2000, XP, 2003 Server, Vista, 2008, 7, 2008 R2, PE, Windows-X64
2 MB disk space + space to save the disk images.
8MB RAM if active, 0 MB if not active.

You need administrative rights to execute Drive Snapshot

Back