Imagine if BF2 used the HalfLife2 Source engine

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just playing some HalfLife2 again, after reinstalling it on my newer rig, and man this game is breath taking in the graphics department for outdoor area's, the game looks so crisp and clean and extremely detailed. Well mainly because I have it set at 1900x1200res with 2xAA

I have also been playing alot of BattleField2, and I like the gameplay, but the graphics are disapointing, they are good but look's more like BF1.5. Now how about if BF2 used the source engine, or better yet, where is TeamFortress2, thought that was supposed to be a BattleField killer

Labrador said:
...where is TeamFortress2, thought that was supposed to be a BattleField killer
It's using the Source Engine. Hey, you just answered your own question about BF2 using the Source Engine!

Meh. As powerful as the Source engine is, I wouldn't trust it for Battlefield 2. The only other game using the Source engine was Vampire: The Masquerades if I'm correct, and it sucked.

That's because the people who did the artwork are no where as near as talented as Valve's art team.

I suppose your right. There's really no issue of netcode, as both games' netcode is pretty bad. 64 man servers... *Quiver*.

Despite it's flaws, I still liked Bloodlines. It's the closest game to Deus Ex that has been made in a while.

Yeah lol, and running through steam, I could see and hear it now on my system when i'm playing, "I n-n-need-d-d a medic-c-c-c over here-e-e-e!!" or howabout "Hey! I-I-I I need a pick-up-p-p-p!!". lol well I don't know, it would be cool to see it using it though.

What? so we can have 'Loading' pop up halfway across a map? I'll stick with what we have thanks ;)

Dano.

Source isn't that impressive, at least HL2 isn't. The textures were horribly low-res. Now CryEngine, yummy :D

I think BF2 has great graphics. I am a graphics whore and it stacks up pretty well in most areas to all the other latest titles. Although FarCry and Doom 3 are certainly the two best looking out there right now. Third is probably BF2 or HL2.

Hopefully Team Fortress 2 gets released sometime soon, although Im not holding my breath. I think the source engine had great netcode. HL2DM ran much smoother for me, even wiith a whole lot of people, then BF2.

The thing that would kill it would be the memory errors present in the source engine. :eek:

Source is a good engine in the way that it needs very little resources in comparison to the other highend. Visually though, it doesn't knock me out.

edit: Must. Have. TF2.

PCJ said:
Source isn't that impressive, at least HL2 isn't. The textures were horribly low-res. Now CryEngine, yummy :D

What are you talking about? Low res textures? What system were you running it on?

I would love BF2 on Source, mainly because the source engine has mercy on my crap system :D .

PCJ said:

ummm what have you been smokin'? The textures for the most part are high res dipshit.

The Source engine is the most over rated engine ever. Sure it looks good but it is no better than Farcry (except that it works on almost all machines) or any others. I am most impressed with Unreal 3.0 and I am glad to see that everyone and their sisters are using it.

As far as the BF2 engine, well it is pretty good but it sucks at the netcode.

I for one would not want Gabe associated with the BF series in any way, shape or form. Dice does a decent job, and they don't need the corruption.

Personally I find the net code in BF2 much better than HL2DM. In HL2DM everything jump around and jittered even with smooth FPS. BF2 atleast goes pretty smooth. That said I loved HL2's graphics. BF2 is "ok".

I never played FarCry online so I can't comment on its netcode, but it sure is pretty!

Staples said:
The Source engine is the most over rated engine ever.
Are you for real? I hate people like you. Why don't you go and do something productive with your life and make a better engine rather than wasting our air.

JayD said:
Are you for real? I hate people like you. Why don't you go and do something productive with your life and make a better engine rather than wasting our air.
Actually, Staples has a point. While I wouldn't call the Source engine the most overrated ever, it was over-hyped and out of the three game engines he mentioned, the Source engine does not seem to perform across all platforms as well as the FarCry engine, and lacks the adoption rate that Unreal 3.0 already has.

JayD, you need to not overreact so much to a fairly insightful comment.

Torgo said:
Actually, Staples has a point. While I wouldn't call the Source engine the most overrated ever, it was over-hyped and out of the three game engines he mentioned, the Source engine does not seem to perform across all platforms as well as the FarCry engine, and lacks the adoption rate that Unreal 3.0 already has.

JayD, you need to not overreact so much to a fairly insightful comment.

I just don't think you have any room to talk considering you couldn't do any better. That's all.

Badger_sly said:
I for one would not want Gabe associated with the BF series in any way, shape or form. Dice does a decent job, and they don't need the corruption.

You mean they don't need the added cost of having to feed the walking whale, which is Gabe.

:D

JayD said:
I just don't think you have any room to talk considering you couldn't do any better. That's all.
That's not the point. Someone was praising source as the best thing ever, all we did was say that it has its weaknesses and there are better things around.

And as for the guy who asked what kind of a system I played on...
The best one so far was a A64, 1gb RAM and a x800pro. 1280x1024, everything on highest. That would bring out all the detail, wouldn't it?

My opinion is just that HL2 doesn't look half as good as other games when it comes to environments, mainly due to crappy textures. I might go and take some screenshots later today to show what I mean.

JayD said:
I am not saying their engine sucks. Only if I could make something better would I ever say that. I am just saying that is isn't what everyone makes it out to be. Everyone acts as if it is leaps and bounds above everything else out there. It is not. If it truely was, more developers would be licensing it.

All the new engines look great.

Farcry is probably the least desirable because it causes hell in my system and so many others.

Source looks great but there is nothing that sets it appart from Farcry except that it works.

Doom 3 looks great but outdoor rendering is still unproven.

UE 3.0 looks just as good as Source but since the UE has been around forever, it probably has the best development tools. Quake engines have always been lacking in this area but community support has always been so big that a lot of tools were made by ordinary people. I don't think that is the case with D3. I doubt anyone outside of ID published games will be using it.

Yes I am, and I waste my free time reading these pathetic forums.

bonkrowave said:
You mean they don't need the added cost of having to feed the walking whale, which is Gabe.

:D

That too. I really meant Gabe's lying to consumers to sell other companies hardware he has made deals with. Your point is valid also...... it must be a chunk of the budget to fill his belly day after day for all those years, LOL.

bonkrowave said:
You should use you free time to go to the gym. :p

LOL......

JayD said:
Yes I am, and I waste my free time reading these pathetic forums.

that explains a lot. So instead of spending the time makeing the source engine bug free, you spent it on internet forums.

JayD said:
Really? Huh, that's funny. Last I checked (and it's been a while) my games sold over 15 million copies worldwide. Pray tell, what have you done?

You have just been p'wned. Hope you enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, just wanted to add that Microsoft (at the time) mentioned to us that out of all Microsoft products, both games and office related, we had the fewest bugs reported back to them.

Well if you like HL mods, theres a Mod called insurgency for HL2 coming out and the screens look awesome. They are one of the competers(SP) in the valve mod competition!

Torgo said:
Check my profile.

lol yeah I would agree that the AoE engine pwnd the source engine as far as bug free and engine stability goes. AoE was a damn nice game btw thank you for developing it.

Torgo said:
Actually, Staples has a point. While I wouldn't call the Source engine the most overrated ever, it was over-hyped and out of the three game engines he mentioned

A dozen gaming sites gave the game 10/10 even though it was bugridden the day it came out. That's an overrating ;)

Torgo said:
Check my profile.

So, did you have anything to do with "e=mc2 trooper," "big daddy" or "jack be nimble?" :D

I spent many hours playing that game. Never once did I have a problem with it. It may also make you smile to know my dad STILL plays that game like crazy. :p

Back