images just... not there....

BB Gun

[H]ard|Gawd
Spent a weekend with an old college friend in San Jose, took a hike on point lobos and took a decent amount of pics, in spite of the marine layer clouds flattening everything out.

I was able to preview the pics on the camera when I took them, but I put the card in my card reader when I got home, started transferring... in the middle of the transfer, my desktop disappeared and only the base windows color scheme color showed for about 5-10 seconds. It responded to a ctrl-alt-del to pull up task manager, but then the desktop came back on its own1. When it came back the transfer process had "completed" but about 2/3 of the point lobos pics I took (roughly a hundred of them) were just... gone. Not in a separate folder that I could find, not on my hard drive, not on the flash card not anywhere.

I used recuva to look to see if they registered as "deleted" files I could recover, and recuva saw nothing from that day.

The camera doesn't see anything either. It's like I never took them. Really pissed because I think I got some really good portraits of the friend and her fiance.

Anyone run into anything like this before?

Canon 70D, windows 10, latest build, system in sig.

BB

oh, and one of the images from the previous day looks like this in lightroom:
upload_2018-9-11_13-10-30.png

I have a feeling I had a system hiccup in the transfer that just blew away those files

I pointed it at the card in the reader. Recuva has a "deep scan" too. Nothing. I'll try recoverit as well.

update - nothing found the missing images while the card was plugged into the usb reader. However, the camera still saw the images, so I broke out an old USB cable and used windows import and BOOM, they have arrived.

I have no idea what the hell is going on, but I have the images, and the card is now getting its ass formatted!

BB

I would say replacing the card and toss it imo. SD card are not too expensive now a day. Who knows when this card gonna give you problem again and truly unrecoverable.

yeah, good point. Not sure if it was a windows, card, or reader problem. Cards are definitely cheap enough nowadays to eliminate that from the possible failure modes.

BB

The camera doesn't see anything either. It's like I never took them. Really pissed because I think I got some really good portraits of the friend and her fiance.

Yeah, i forgot that I had tried the camera already. Well, SOMEthing happened, because the camera found them when I tried again.

I put that card in the camera again for another reason, and there they were. Wasn't sure if it was just preview files, because computers card reader still didn't find them. But when I plugged the usb cable in, I was able to download all of them. Whatever black magic happened, I'm glad they came back.

Yeah, i forgot that I had tried the camera already. Well, SOMEthing happened, because the camera found them when I tried again.

I put that card in the camera again for another reason, and there they were. Wasn't sure if it was just preview files, because computers card reader still didn't find them. But when I plugged the usb cable in, I was able to download all of them. Whatever black magic happened, I'm glad they came back.

You owe somebody a fresh goat...

Back