Image soften with VGA on DVI port

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I have a older PC with a core duo and a HD4800 with a native VGA port, i was using it to play PS1 games on a AccuSync LCD 5V (1024x768) and on the HD4800 the picture was crisp and clear so a few days ago i decided i wanted to emulate more then PS1 games so i moved out the duo core PC and moved in my old 2600k system with a HD7850 and it only has digital ports on the back so i used a adapter to convert to VGA unfortunately the image now on my Accusync is really soft and washed out.

Before some one says just change the monitor, I would but my options are limited and this one is the right size and weight for what i need it for so i would like to know is there something i can do to improve the current setup in software or is the adapter im using just shitty or it this a fact of using VGA on DVI, if a different video card works better with VGA also let me know i have countless HD6950's and of course the HD4800 but that card is getting dated.

I appreciate any help with this matter.

pretty sure its the adaption of the signal that causes it, the dac. if you cant do the monitor look for a card with native vga or dvi-i .

The HD7850 port is DVI-I but i thought i should try out a HD6950 just to see if it is the GFX card it's self and after switching the cards the image quality is sharp and correct again, going from a 7800 to a 6900 card is abit of a down grade but im playing at a low rez so the GPU load should be rather lowish

Thats odd. DVI-I carries the VGA signal so no conversion in done, I assume the VGA signal was bad to begin with.

Yeah, it's a bad analog output on the card.

Pretty rare at that low resolution, but I guess it could happen?

Older on-board VGA ports used to get fuzzy hen you went beyond 1024x768. But even those have gottten better in recent years. I just can't imagine an add-in card not having top quality.

Back