image management system

mord

Limp Gawd
I have a project that I would like some suggestions for solutions to look into. I work with a small non profit that develops text and training books. The books are highly technical and have a large number of images and diagrams. We only have a few employees but work with a very large and constantly changeing number of subject matter experts. We need a way to make the images we own, or have rights to use available to our staff and subject matter experts. Thats so they can identify images we can reuse for other projects. They need to be able to browse through thumbnails, and look at larger versions to evaluate the sutability of the image. The system should be able to present a way to browse through the images in a meaningful hierarchy and be searchable. The search function should include the ability to add tags to images and groups or folders of images that are searchable.

Also I would really like the ability for users to save and share lists of images for admins to download. Lets say user "Joe" marks 100 images as "Project X". Admin "Sally" can click a button and download all the files marked for "Project X". The end result is Joe selected the images to use for the project but never touched the original high res images. Sally didn't have to hunt and find the images Joe wanted. The system let Sally click on Joe's list and download the images Joe selected.

Problems we face are:
Security- We don't really have a strong relationship with all the people that will use this. We only want them to be able to see a thumbnail and say a 1024pix max size version. We do not want them to be able to download the originals.

File size and types - From 2 KB gifs to 80 MB EPS files. A simple webpage won't display the EPS and other file types. We currently have about 1.5TB of images and it will grow constantly.

Fast and easy to add files - We would like a system thats as easy as drag and drop to add new folders fo files. It won't be an IT person doing the day to day admin of the system.

We have 2-3 office sites that will need access to view the images, plus a large number of remote users.

Back