iMac wireless "issue"

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Posted this in the Apple Forums, but it applies here as well...

My boss has a 2013 iMac... I have a UniFi wireless system setup and am currently running 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The "issue" I am having is that the iMac will CONSISTENTLY connect to 5Ghz and instead of the 5Ghz "N"... it connects to the 5Ghz "A" which is much much slower. Any ideas???

What version of Unifi are you using? Can you disable A? (Only ever used 2.4 Unifi APs)

Are you sure it's A? Where are you checking this? What speed does the Mac say it's connected at? What are your channel widths set to?

What version of Unifi are you using? Can you disable A? (Only ever used 2.4 Unifi APs)

Are you sure it's A? Where are you checking this? What speed does the Mac say it's connected at? What are your channel widths set to?

I am using 2.4.6

I CAN disable "A" in the software BUT it also disables 5Ghz N as well.

The reason I am sure it's "A" because the UniFi software is telling me it's connected as "A"... instead of showing a nice little round circle with an "N" in it... it shows "A".

I've tried setting channels widths to 20 AND 40, same thing...

Ahhh.... ok. Maybe so??

I will have to wait till the boss comes back I think his computer is locked.

Thanks for the info though!!!

on your iMac, hold the option key and click on the wifi status icon on the menu bar.

what info does this reveal?

Ok... logged in as a "guest" user and did what you said... it's definately connected as wireless "N" 5Ghz @ 300Mbps.

Thanks for showing me how to troubleshoot this. I guess it's UniFi that can't tell the difference.

Back