iMac networking - only allows connections on one NIC even if multiple connected???

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings!

I have observed this behavior on multiple Mac OS X systems from different organizations. Example: TeamSpeak server service is running, machine is connected to organization WiFi and also via wire by Thunderbolt adapter, TeamSpeak users are only able to connect to the TeamSpeak server using the WiFi IP address of the Mac even though both the WiFi and wired NICs are connected to the very same LAN. If WiFi is turned off, they can connect to the server using the wired IP address no problem, but is not true if WiFi is turned back on and reconnected to the wireless network.

Why? This problem doesn't happen in Windows as Windows will accept connections on either interface. I want to understand this behavior of Mac, why it happens, and if there is anything that I can do to modify that behavior.

Thanks!

Teamspeak binds itself to a specific IP on *nix platforms. Set the IP in ts3config to be one belonging to the adapter you want clients to connect over.

Ok today I encountered the issue again -- it isn't TeamSpeak, it is something with the OS. Today the scenario was that 'they' were trying to access the internet via a mobile WiFi hotspot from someone's iPhone. They connected to the hotspot but was unable to surf the internet until I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the iMac. More info: the iMac is connected to a wired network that has no internet connectivity.

We have exactly the same experience with the Macbook. It affects all programs. Our computers need to be able to remain in communication with audiovisual equipment on the network without having to be temporarily disconnected from that network (wired Ethernet) but simultaneously be able to use a WiFi hotspot as needed. On the Macbook it seems that even if we disable the wireless NIC, connect via Thunderbold Ethernet adapter, allow someone to connect, turn the wireless NIC back on and connect to the organization network (same network that the wired interface is connected to), people can no longer connect using the wired NICs IP address and are forced to connect to the wireless.

Go to System Preferences > Network and click the gear at the bottom of the interfaces list. Click "Set Service Order" and make sure that the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter is at the top of the list.

Go to System Preferences > Network and click the gear at the bottom of the interfaces list. Click "Set Service Order" and make sure that the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter is at the top of the list.
Is there no way to have it automatically figure out which NIC interface to send data based on the destination of packets? Also, thanks for the information -- I'll be sure to look at that as it may be a temporary thing we can do for the time being.

Here is another example: iMac is connected via wire to internetless network for audiovisual system control. Some singers need to be able to access their e-mail from the iMac to pull lyrics for a song they didn't inform us about until last minute (or whatever), and they use their phone's hotspot. They connect the iMac to that hotspot via the wireless NIC. They are unable to access the internet until someone unplugs the Ethernet cable from the back of the Mac. For live production we don't use the iMac on wireless, so it needs to stay on wired Ethernet for network connectivity. It's just a big inconvenience to have to unplug and plug cables in seemingly unnecessarily -- not very many people here are tech savvy enough about what Ethernet is for and why it is important.

Back