iMac G3 Question...

tim-bit

2[H]4U
I've been wanting to get a Mac to fool around with for a good period of time now, and it looks like I'll finally have a chance to pick one up for pretty cheap... Thing is I might have two options, might have because they belong to a business my friend works for and his boss still isn't sure about selling them.

#1 Blueberry 350mhz slot loading with 192mb ram (I'm guessing it's this one)
#2 Red 400mhz slot loading, unknown amount of ram but... there's an 'oddly shaped cd' stuck in the drive from what my friends boss told him. My guess is it's one of those business card cd things. I could probably get this one much cheaper, but my question is would I somewhat easily be able to remove the stuck cd? would the drive have good chances of still working?

Removing a non-standard disc from a slot loading optical drive is not easy. Best to pay a tech to do it. It's possible the drive may even need to be replaced, if the disc damaged it.

iMacs in general are not fun to take apart.. I'd go for the non-fubared one, or find a external firewire drive assuming it has one (my imac g3 400 dv did).

the 2nd Gen iMacs added FW800. I have one sitting on my back table here at work, and it'll take 2x512MB DIMMS. OS X loves 1GB o' RAM :D

Now apparently she doesn't want to sell the non broken one, so i guess that leaves me with the fubarred one, oh well thinkering with stuff is always fun ;)

mrweasel said:
the 2nd Gen iMacs added FW800. I have one sitting on my back table here at work, and it'll take 2x512MB DIMMS. OS X loves 1GB o' RAM :D
methinks FW400 is plenty good for any optical drive on the market

If I can't find someone to fix the optical drive on it, I'll just buy one off of ebay or something. I hate externals :p

the optical drives are pretty easy to get to on slot loading G3 iMacs.

Back