iMac and WoW

ampedxc27

[H]ard|Gawd
anyone have a g5 or intel core duo that plays WoW? how does it play? can u turn the goodies on? thanks for any help :cool:

You'll only get more definitive answers later: Blizzard is supposed to release a patch late this month which turns World of Warcraft into a universal binary.

From reports, it's a lot faster than what most other Macs have managed so far (presumably because Blizzard can keep a lot of its x86-specific optimizations in the code now). You'll probably be able to run at native resolution with all the details on... though for best performance, I'd recommend custom-ordering a 20" iMac with the 256 MB video memory option.

On a 20in Intel iMac with 2 gigs of ram and 256mb ATI x1600 the game runs at acceptable speeds considering its being emulated on Rosetta. Several options had to be turned down, such as terrain distance drawing, for the game to run smoothly. It is also noticable that the graphics don't look as good compared to the game running on a Windows machine.

I'm sure when the UB comes out it'll be able to comfortably run the game at maxed out settings.

I have the iSight revision iMac G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM, and WoW at the native res with no advanced features on plays unacceptably poorly for me. Granted, I moved from a 4000+/7800 GT system with everything maxed, but I was utterly disappointed with the performance. Alone out in Westfall killing Defias, it's not that bad; in a major city or a Molten Core raid...terrible.

One would think it would play a little better on a Core Duo with the Universal Binary, but I can't imagine it'd be a sea change from the G5's performance.

The somewhat poor performance in Mac-WoW might have something to do with the fact that it doesn't cache ANYTHING in RAM.

Black Morty Rackham said:
The somewhat poor performance in Mac-WoW might have something to do with the fact that it doesn't cache ANYTHING in RAM.

I knew something stupid was going on when every mac user said it ran like shit.

Tonight I'm picking up a 20" with 2 gigs of RAM and the X1600 with 256mb... I'm excited to see how WoW runs with that setup, especially knowing that it's only going to get better once Blizzard releases the universal patch.

Just picked up my new IntelDC 20", 1 Gig ram, 256 vid card. This thing leaves the G5 iMac I had in the DUST. It is rediculous how much faster this iMac is than the previous G5 (which I had just purchased a few days before x-mas). Imported songs from my LaCie backup drive using firewire (1800 songs) in about 4 minutes, 8.64 gigs total of songs/videos. Safari opens INSTANTLY, as well as every other program.

AppaYipYip said:
Just picked up my new IntelDC 20", 1 Gig ram, 256 vid card. This thing leaves the G5 iMac I had in the DUST. It is rediculous how much faster this iMac is than the previous G5 (which I had just purchased a few days before x-mas). Imported songs from my LaCie backup drive using firewire (1800 songs) in about 4 minutes, 8.64 gigs total of songs/videos. Safari opens INSTANTLY, as well as every other program.

congrats! i wish i could afford one...sounds awesome

Rocketpig said:
Tonight I'm picking up a 20" with 2 gigs of RAM and the X1600 with 256mb... I'm excited to see how WoW runs with that setup, especially knowing that it's only going to get better once Blizzard releases the universal patch.

Let us know what kind of performance you get...

Jeff

playrh8r said:
Let us know what kind of performance you get...

Jeff

Well, I opted for the 17" bare bones model with 512 more RAM on the way. I should get the RAM Friday.

I only had a chance to play WoW for about 20 minutes in STV. Performance was a little shaky but I turned down the draw distance and it ran as smoothly as my 1.8 P4 with a Ti4600 and 768 of RAM.

I'm probably getting about 30-40 fps but the real test will be when I get the additional stick of RAM and make a trip to Orgrimmar.

Rocketpig said:
I'm probably getting about 30-40 fps but the real test will be when I get the additional stick of RAM and make a trip to Orgrimmar.
Don't you mean Lagrimmar?

Seriously though, PLEASE post what frames you're getting and what rez you're running at. WoW performance is one thing keeping me from playing on a desktop, the Mini just can't do it.

The_Mage18 said:

Seriously though, PLEASE post what frames you're getting and what rez you're running at. WoW performance is one thing keeping me from playing on a desktop, the Mini just can't do it.

I'll know in about 2 hours when I get the second stick of RAM installed...

BTW, what's the command in WoW to display frame rates? I forgot... It's been awhile since I used it since it was never really a problem on my PC.

I can't remember if it's in interface options or a command...

The_Mage18 said:

You think Org is bad you should see IF lag at prime time. I've been a Horde player until recently (wanted to see the Alliance content) and man is it laggy in IF!

Musei said:
You think Org is bad you should see IF lag at prime time. I've been a Horde player until recently (wanted to see the Alliance content) and man is it laggy in IF!

Yeah, IF is worse but only because everyone, their brother and their cousin camps in front of the FRACKIN' bank.

Okay... With the 128 card and 1 gig of RAM, WoW was running pretty crappy. I was pulling about 15-20 fps in Stranglethorn with distance drawing turned down. I didn't even try Org.

Playable, but not very impressive. I'm sure that will jump way up when the universal binary comes out in the next two weeks.

Aurelius said:
You'll only get more definitive answers later: Blizzard is supposed to release a patch late this month which turns World of Warcraft into a universal binary.

From reports, it's a lot faster than what most other Macs have managed so far (presumably because Blizzard can keep a lot of its x86-specific optimizations in the code now). You'll probably be able to run at native resolution with all the details on... though for best performance, I'd recommend custom-ordering a 20" iMac with the 256 MB video memory option.

does this mean we can run WoW on linux?

well if its a universal patch it should be able to run on linux... after all, OSX is linux

i ran WoW on my ibook g4 1.33Ghz radeon 9550 with only 512 megs of ram, it was slow, but playable for single player quests, im sure you will be more than fine with your machine.

2.0 iMac w/ 2 gigs and 256 on vid card:

Chug, chug, chug...*sigh*.

I will wait for the patch as, right now, it runs worlds better on my notebook (Turion/1 gig/ATI x300) and (naturally) another universe on my 6800U WinXP setup.

Back