Imac 5,1: 64 bit cpu, but deosnt support over 3 gig of ram??

edward78

Limp Gawd
My pc is out now & am using a Imac... It has a Core 2 duo, but I have no idea how to boot up in 64 bit, I dit the hold 6 & 4 after boot, but as far as I can tell it still just suports 32 bit... How can I get the chipset info?

Information is available via google.
Finding out your system information is also easy.
Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the sceen. And the. Select about this mac. From there, there is a system hardware profile button you can look at for a full breakdown of what is in the machine. The first page of which will tell you specifically which Mac hardware revision you have.

You don't 'boot up' into a 64bit mode. You either have a 64bit operating system, or you don't :) You can't install a 64 bit operating system on hardware that's not fully 64bit capable, itself. In your case, it's more a matter of which version of OS X do you have installed?

During that time period there was an issue of 64 bit processors being used, but 32 bit UEFI motherboards. This is what holds back the 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pro's from "natively" having a modern version of OSX. Though they still support over 4GB of RAM.

Back