I'm upset about one thing...

Falkentyne

[H]ard|Gawd
Can someone please explain to me why EVERY board company seems to have a half-assed way of doing dual bios?

It seems like ONLY ATI (AMD) got it right, with the dual bios on their video cards.
Flip a switch, switch to backup BIOS. If you brick your main, boot from backup, flip a switch, flash your bricked main, and you're good to go. Simple. Effective. No worrying about auto recoveries flashing from a backup, failed checksum recoveries, anything... if there is a problem, flip the switch.

Is there a reason why we aren't seeing something like this on motherboards?
Why must the dual bios be controlled by keyboard hotkey, or having the primary bios at least uncorrupted enough for the backup BIOS to trigger? A simple switch would solve all problems.

I mean even the old RDx Bios savior allowed this.

I could have sworn there was a dual bios with a jumper selector back in the S775 days...

I had a ECS board a few years back that a piggy back bios chip that you plug in to recover from a bad flash. They called it Top Hat. Never needed it but was a cool idea.

most boards now days have a plug in style bios chip...I always order a second one from the manufacturer and keep it handy...ive had to use it on occasion...
if your board has this style chip you may want to consider it....i called dfi about a year ago when i bought this x58 T3eH6 and they sent me a chip for 15 bucks shipped...did this with my sons biostar amd board also...

Back