I'm thinking of buying a photoshop tutorial book.

user001

Weaksauce
First off I'd like to ask, how is Photoshop CS2 Bible Professional? Is that the best book out on the market? And what's the difference between the regular edition and the professional edition?

Also, are there any good books out there?

I'm a total photoshop newbie and I'm looking forward to learning. :)

personally i dont know why anyone would need a book unless they want to know about every single feater but that is till listed in the help file. there is many free tutorial sites, that u dont have to pay for. ive never read a book and i know howto use it pretty well but ive bene using it since like 99.

How did you learn how to use it?

Did you follow a tutorial on a site? Oh and what's a really good tutorial site? I've seen the sticky with the list but I can't find a good one.

Tutorials? I just played and, still do play with it to learn. But there is a Photoshop magazine out there on news stands. It has some helpful stuff in it.

I personally have been using photoshop for about 5 or 6 years. I can do tons of different things with it... and its all self taught. I cant learn by reading up on a tutorial, it just comes alot more naturally to just fiddle with things and figure it out myself... I also end up remembering things alot better. Like they said, just figure out what each tool does, mess around and get a basic understanding of what it does. Alot of things take a while to get use too, and you always can learn somthing new.

Also, I would suggest you pick up "Eyecandy" filters, they are really nice. Anyone else know of any other good filter packs?

As said previously, I learned myself as well. The best tool for what's DESIRED nowadays must be learned online via free tutorials (check the stickies) and self-teaching. Seriosly, spending 8+hrs a day looking/bookmarking/trying tutorials was not uncommon for me when i was more into PS.

A book will teach you what each tool does and can definately give you a better understanding of some of the stuff, but I would choose this second if the online tutorials arent enough help. Sorry, I can't recommend a book.

ever thought about buying one of those video guides frrom lynda or somthing along the of that?

Back