I'm thinking about going Apple...But...I need some help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, just trying to get a little laugh. Overclocking a home built mac with Windows 9, you gotta admit that is on the funny side. :)

Originally posted by [BB] The Pirate
We were just having some fun. Sorry if we have offended anyone with our stupidity.:(

Believe me, some of it was not that far fetched.

One of my former co-workers found out that I bought a Mac 2 years ago. He turns to me and says... "So... Can you go on the Internet with those things yet?"

He was serious too.

Mind you, this guy is an application developer for an international business corporation.

Originally posted by KaosDG
Believe me, some of it was not that far fetched.

One of my former co-workers found out that I bought a Mac 2 years ago. He turns to me and says... "So... Can you go on the Internet with those things yet?"

He was serious too.

Mind you, this guy is an application developer for an international business corporation.

Wow that is nuts! LOL Thats pretty funny. Actually I like the way Macs look. I don't see why they wouldn't want to become more mainstream like Intel and Windows have become. They would make more money that’s for sure.

Anyone know why they haven't become more mainstream and directed their product to be more of a "home system" rather then a business and school one?

It seems like their target audience is either for businesses or for the wealthy. The highest end PC is about half the price of the highest end Mac.

overclocking a "Mac" , its like having a celeron 300a @ 600mhz , you go from uber slow to slow, hahahha

what's the use?

-paulm

I'm thinking about going Apple..But...I need some help....
Yes you do...you are absolutely correct about switching from PC to Apple...may I recommend some psychological help??? There's nothing that I can think I that PC's can do better/faster nowadays...used to Macs were better with graphics stuff...but now I believe PC's are faster and and better in a lot of ways (note that I did not say they were better PERIOD...but in many ways they ARE)

I too wanna learn Macs but just for fun...I will neveer replace my PC with a Mac tho...THANX
C'YA ?:-D

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
Yes you do...you are absolutely correct about switching from PC to Apple...may I recommend some psychological help??? There's nothing that I can think I that PC's can do better/faster nowadays...used to Macs were better with graphics stuff...but now I believe PC's are faster and and better in a lot of ways (note that I did not say they were better PERIOD...but in many ways they ARE)

I too wanna learn Macs but just for fun...I will neveer replace my PC with a Mac tho...THANX
C'YA ?:-D
There is no need to insult someone by suggesting they need some psychological help. If it is his choice to get a Mac - then all the power to him. They aren't *THAT* bad. They aren't the most viable gaming platform; but I don't know of very little in which they lack.

You can be a PC user - all the power to you. There is no clear cut answer. The movie Cold Mountain was edited on a PowerMac w/ Final Cut Pro. Most recording studios use Pro Tools running on what? Oh, Mac's. They may be "faster" in certain applications but you overlook the fact that the Mac is an experience, not a computer. Just because your video renders 8 seconds faster doesn't mean it's better on the PC. It's the fact it works, and they are fun and pleasant to work with.

Originally posted by [BB] The Pirate
Wow that is nuts! LOL Thats pretty funny. Actually I like the way Macs look. I don't see why they wouldn't want to become more mainstream like Intel and Windows have become. They would make more money that’s for sure.
Apple is a hardware company and make the bulk of there money on hardware. However when you work with it - it just works. PC's you tend to have a lot of problems.

Anyone know why they haven't become more mainstream and directed their product to be more of a "home system" rather then a business and school one?
They aren't mainstream cause people just don't know. They may carry a price premium - but the price is well worth it if you feel so. What's the iMac or the Power Mac G5? The iBook is also a great contender. Hek, I saw an older couple buy one and an iMac the other day. I've seen lots of college students buy them as well.

It seems like their target audience is either for businesses or for the wealthy. The highest end PC is about half the price of the highest end Mac.
Yeah? Their target audience is people who demand quality. That's not to say you can get a quality PC; but 100% of the time; it's quality. And nothing beats a good user experience; like that of OS X.

Not to argue with you, because I too like OS X, but...

Originally posted by fibroptikl
PC's you tend to have a lot of problems.

Really? This is a common statement by Apple users, and it's true only under certain circumstances. This relates to that quality issue you bring up later, you can buy a bad PC. However if you've got a good one, it'll run beautifully.

They may carry a price premium - but the price is well worth it if you feel so.

Depends, I tend to disagree that the price premium is worth it if we're talking the same or slower speeds. You can get a good PC for the same or less money and its often going to be faster that most of what you can get from Apple at that price point. This has changed, fortunately. Apples prices aren't so astronomical anymore and the G5 is at least closer to a realistic price for that level of performance than any G4 machine ever came.

And nothing beats a good user experience; like that of OS X.

I've had plenty of bad experiences, but not enough to outweigh the good ones. Same for Windows.

Really? This is a common statement by Apple users, and it's true only under certain circumstances. This relates to that quality issue you bring up later, you can buy a bad PC. However if you've got a good one, it'll run beautifully.
Yes, really. Well, I said it's not that you can get a nice PC; but with an Apple - they control the hardware and can often get it working a lot better. See all the stuff Microsoft releases? That's probably because they have a larger share of the market.

And I'm not an Apple user, but I understand what you're saying.
Depends, I tend to disagree that the price premium is worth it if we're talking the same or slower speeds. You can get a good PC for the same or less money and its often going to be faster that most of what you can get from Apple at that price point. This has changed, fortunately. Apples prices aren't so astronomical anymore and the G5 is at least closer to a realistic price for that level of performance than any G4 machine ever came.
Well, that's your opinion - some people don't. Some people like the fact it gets the job done. Safari opens, they surf, they're done. It just works. Apple does have a premium, but if you want to pay it you surely can. Nothing stopping you from getting a PC - if you get a nice one. But Apple tends to just work.
I've had plenty of bad experiences, but not enough to outweigh the good ones. Same for Windows.
Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who has not had a bad Mac experience. I loved my iBook, it worked and did it's job. However, my PC on the other hand has never had it's share of problems - I guess I'm one who can operate it good.

something else to remember is the longevity of the HW on the Apple side...the average life span is 2-3 years and it will still do the job....might not be the fastest but it still WORKS for them...that is the big thing....but if you look at the PC side in 6-8 months or 1 year on the outside your system is ready for a major upgrade but anyways...you will keep your little closed mind closed and that is all there is to say....until you start to use the systems how can you say one is better than the other? and I am not saying one that is in a school or EDU environment or something that is 2-3 years old....try a comperable system that was made in the last year and actually use it...you might find that it does most of what you want it to do other than game the new 3D games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back