I'm thinking about going Apple...But...I need some help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

[BB] The Pirate

Limp Gawd
I'd like to go with Apple but how do you overclock their PC's? Also can I just build one from scratch and put it in my vapochill machine? And if I build one from scratch can i just load WinXP on it?

Thanks for the help.

I bought a Mac off of some guy and have it overclocked like a motherbitch. Well atleast he told me it was overclocked. How do you tell for sure? I couldn't get XP to work on it, but I am running Windows 9 just fine.

Originally posted by [BB] The Pirate
I'd like to go with Apple but how do you overclock their PC's? Also can I just build one from scratch and put it in my vapochill machine? And if I build one from scratch can i just load WinXP on it?

Thanks for the help.
You can, but it's much harder. You'd have to do a lot of customizing in order to get it into your vapochill machine as well.

And no - you *CAN NOT* install Windows XP on it. Prebuilt or not.

Originally posted by fibroptikl
You can, but it's much harder. You'd have to do a lot of customizing in order to get it into your vapochill machine as well.

And no - you *CAN NOT* install Windows XP on it. Prebuilt or not.

ARe you sure? My buddie has Windows installed on his machine... I'm so confused.

ARe you sure? My buddie has Windows installed on his machine... I'm so confused.
He's probably emulating it with Virtual PC. And I'm postive.

Yea, you'd have to use the virtual desktop program...I saw it at CompUSA, but I forget the price and exact name...sorry...

Originally posted by Hom@R
I bought a Mac off of some guy and have it overclocked like a motherbitch. Well atleast he told me it was overclocked. How do you tell for sure? I couldn't get XP to work on it, but I am running Windows 9 just fine.

i'm sorry but thats just damn funny

Thanks for the help.

you can buy used parts and retool an atx case to put an apple logic board, compatible PPC proc and compatible PS.

you can use standard ram, HD's and optical drivers though.

overclocking involves resoldering resisters or at least moving jumpers.

The reason it's hard/impossible to overclock a "mac" is because they don't have a BIOS like "pcs" do. The really cruddy thing is that I think it's INTEL and Microshaft that are plotting to destroy the BIOS, but I might have gotten the companies wrong, DOWN WITH THEM!!...hahaha. Really, overclocking a mac wouldn't reap the benefits you think you will get from it.

There wouldn't be any benefit to being able to run Windows on Mac hardware anyway most likely. And Virtual PC is unstable and slow as is.

98 on a mac? That's a good story. :)

VPC 6 is actually kind of speedy on my iBook and I only have 256 Meg allowcated to the application....now I wouldn't say you can play games like a PC but if you need to run an app it will do the job...currently I have it loaded up on my system so I can more easily work with iTunes for Windows crap ;)

Originally posted by gigglebyte
VPC 6 is actually kind of speedy on my iBook and I only have 256 Meg allowcated to the application....now I wouldn't say you can play games like a PC but if you need to run an app it will do the job...currently I have it loaded up on my system so I can more easily work with iTunes for Windows crap ;)

It has gotten better, this is very true. :) It will run some basic things, but don't expect to do any intensive processing quickly and reliably. A friend tried to run a proprietary Windows signal processing app we use on his 17" powerbook, once it started to creep up in the processor usage things got funky.

Jackal, if you really want to mess with Apple, your best bet is to try a G4 MAC...There are some people out there that have been able to tweak those more easily.

I have a friend that got one for Xmas (he asked for an Alienware, but his parents got him a G4 instead) that he is will to sell for cheap. Shoot me an email interested.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Eelpout
Jackal, if you really want to mess with Apple, your best bet is to try a G4 MAC...There are some people out there that have been able to tweak those more easily.

I have a friend that got one for Xmas (he asked for an Alienware, but his parents got him a G4 instead) that he is will to sell for cheap. Shoot me an email interested.

Good Luck!
It's "Mac", not "MAC".

Just a thought of info.

Lots of people get that wrong. I've never figured out why. It's not like Mac actually stands for anything, like Mostly Another Computer, or Mostly Affluent Consumers, or something related to their high price or slow processors (G3 or G4).

j/k about that last bit. . . kinda.
I like me macs alright :)

actually MAC stands for Media Access Control (aka Ethernet ID) and Mac is just short for Macintosh

Well yeah, there's that MAC too. Every time I hear someone mention it on campus, if its in the photo/video/art building they start acting like its some Apple thing and nobody else uses it and that's what make Apple better. It's funny as hell.

Originally posted by Eelpout

Good Luck!

Eelpout,

Does your G4 come with Windows on it? Also how fast have you gotten it to overclock? I hear that some G4's will overclock to 5 GHz. Is this true? Also isn't Alienware MAC as well?

It's not MAC, it's Mac!!!!!

Alienware sells PCs that are as overpriced (sometimes even moreso) as many Macs. They do not sell Macs, check their website.

I've never heard of a G4 reaching 5ghz.

Does your G4 come with Windows on it? Also how fast have you gotten it to overclock? I hear that some G4's will overclock to 5 GHz. Is this true? Also isn't Alienware MAC as well?

I heard that you can overclock a G4 like a motherbitch, is this true? What version of Windows does it have on it?

I heard that you can overclock a G4 like a motherbitch, is this true? What version of Windows does it have on it?
Ummm....if you have to ask a question like that someone needs to take your computer away because you obviously do not need to be using something like that as it may be dangerous to you or more importantly others around you :rolleyes:.

I heard this as well. I think I'm going to go with the G4 with Windows on it and overclock it. Thanks for all the help guys; you've been great.:D

BB, you're fired, Hom@r, you're fired. You're all fired! clueless

Hey emorphien aren't you running a PIII and a PIV? How do you know so much about Mac's also?

Originally posted by emorphien
BB, you're fired, Hom@r, you're fired. You're all fired! clueless

Why we are well fired? So sue me because I don't know much about Mac's and info that i do know is a little bit off.:confused:

Guys, get serious, you're here, if you bothered to do all of 30 seconds of investigation you'd know if common sense didn't tell you already that Windows does NOT run on a Mac without help of 3rd party software, i.e. VirtualPC.

Originally posted by Instigator
Guys, get serious, you're here, if you bothered to do all of 30 seconds of investigation you'd know if common sense didn't tell you already that Windows does NOT run on a Mac without help of 3rd party software, i.e. VirtualPC.

I think there is some confusion here...they will be using Virtual PC.

They're fired because they're not even been reading the thread. If they had they'd stop repeating a lot of things, and they wouldn't be asking some of the questions.

Such as running Windows on a Mac. It's not going to happen. You can do Virtual PC but as has been stated, don't rely on it for much, and don't expect it to perform anywhere near as well as a PC built for windows.

As far as myself, why don't I own a Mac? Money, I can get the bang I need for a lot less buck building myself. I would like an iBook but not until after I have a windows laptop to suit my needs (likely an IBM). Alternatively I may pick up an older G4 tower, I haven't decided.

When I've got the money I'll have both, but I don't think I need to prove myself to you. I work on just as many Mac machines weekly as I do PC. I also teach a class of students how to use both systems for imaging work, and a lot of the fun is teaching them that Macs aren't better for any of it, contrary to popular opinion. If I had to pick a system for that kind of work now I'd actually lean in the PC direction, however the G5s are good too.

That and the loads of Apple troubleshooting I end up doing. That's a load of fun. :rolleyes:

Eelpout,

I know a guy who knows a guy that can get some G4 Socket adapter's to Socket 478 P4. I think there a swich on it too so you can run the G4 processor in X86 mode.

Might be worth it for 5ghz.:D

In the words of mighty Boromir... "They have a cave troll"

Honestly, I really don't see how this can be a serious thread at all.

If there is a cave troll then we need the mighty Methodical to shine in some sunlight and turn that lamer to stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back