im sure this has been asked 100000 times.. (2500k mobo & ram help)

NICKSTAR

2[H]4U
Last edited:
The ram's price isn't bad, but you could do better. can find 2x4GB ram for under $60 (those ripjaws heatsinks aren't that useful)... Sandybridge runs RAM at 1333, you need to change settings to run it at 1600(if you dont want to bother doing it, 1333ram is fine)

I would go with a p8p67-pro or gigabyte p67a-ud4 before the two boards you've listed if you can get them in your budget. That ram should be decent, ram overclocking is less of a factor with Sandy Bridge than it has been before.

No issues with my board (MSI P67A-GD65) on Gskill Ripjaws X 8gb kit (2x 4gb, 1600) and 2500K. I'm OC'd at 4.5Ghz rock solid stable.

What HSF cooler are you going with?

The ram's price isn't bad, but you could do better. can find 2x4GB ram for under $60 (those ripjaws heatsinks aren't that useful)... Sandybridge runs RAM at 1333, you need to change settings to run it at 1600(if you dont want to bother doing it, 1333ram is fine)

Actually, that DDR3-1600 RAM that the OP is inquiring about is actually less espensive than many of the DDR3-1333 kits of the same capacity - if the OP used the promo code (which ends at midnight Pacific Time tonight).

8GBXL is the newer version and was on sale last week for the same price.

I'm at 4.7 GHz @ 1.368V on my BIOSTAR TP67B+. It's rock-solid, but the BIOS has a few quirks (PM me if you get the board and get confused). It was $130 + shipping.

i have that same exact ram in my MSI P67A-GD65. No problems at all. Bought mine for $180.
the GD55 is the same minus a few features like voltage testing ports, extra e-sata port, etc. I'm not sure what else is different.
The OC Genie button is nice for OCing to 4.2ghz. You toggle the button on/off when the PC is powered down. Upon boot up it'll over clock it. Set it and forget it.

I got the same MB and works with no issues. No reason to get a Pro if you have no use of Crossfire..

Back