I'm sure there's an app for that, but what is it?

batteriesnotincluded

[H]ard|Gawd
When I got my Galaxy S3, I also tossed my old alarm clock, as its radio had long stopped working, and bought a dock as I wanted to have a phone near the bed instead of downstairs anyway.

Unfortunately, random emails during the night do a really good job of waking my wife and I up, and I don't want that to continue.

I'd like to find an application that can set my phone to silent for anything other than the alarm and incoming phone calls between set hours (say 10-7). I figure if I get a phone call in the middle of the night, it's an emergency...but if I get and email or text, it can wait until I wake up.

Any suggestions on what application I need to download for this?

it should be a stock capability in ICS

are there settings for quiet hours in your preferences under Settings > Sounds > Quiet Hours?

just for the alarm you don't need anything. android settings allow you to play the alarm at full volume even if the phone is on silent. At least, stock ICS/JB does, not sure if touchwiz changed anything. About the phone calls, I'm not sure if you can "whitelist" numbers to automatically ring at full volume regardless of phone volume state, that may require an app.

Yep, Quiet Hours
you will be able to

Mute notifications
Disable haptic feedback
Disable vibrations
Disable notification light

phone calls will behave as they usually do

Download Alarm Clock Xtreme. It's free, it's awesome, it's lightweight, and you can set all your phone volume settings from within it. Whether my phone ring volume is silent, vibrate, low volume. or high volume the alarm clock always rings the same. I have it set to start at 5% volume and work to 100% over 30 seconds. Very nice alarm clock app.

If you have a Moto phone with Smart Actions, you can do the same basically with the normal alarm clock app. Set the Smart Action trigger for a time range you want (10pm-7am) that turns off all notifications but leaves Alarms and Phone ringer alone..might take a bit of "futching" with as my Dad says, but its doable...

You know, I saw Quiet Hours on my rooted Fascinate with ICS, but not on the stock Verizon SGS3. Not sure why it's not there.

quiet hours is not a Standard feature.... it needs to be cooked into the rom

Use a widget to turn off 3g data/wifi at night. Texts and phone calls still come through so you dont miss something possibly important.

Looks like Sound Manager does what I'm looking for. Not the most elegant solution, but it works, and doesn't require I turn anything off and on manually. I can tell it to turn down or off notification audio, media audio, etc.

Looks like Sound Manager does what I'm looking for. Not the most elegant solution, but it works, and doesn't require I turn anything off and on manually. I can tell it to turn down or off notification audio, media audio, etc.

Can you use it to keep the screen from turning on at night. I have noticed that for no reason at all my S3 turns the screen on. It also turns the screen on when i get a text message, very annoying

not that I know of. I actually want the phone on during the night, as it's acting as my clock. I wish I could at least change it from white to red while it's docked.

I just put my phone on vibrate and the alarm goes off as expected... everything else is silent.

Edit: I lied it was actually on mute and the alarm still went off full blast.

Get an NFC sticker, put it on your dock, and program it to turn all of the volumes off and set the stock alarm. If you're going to use the alarm you might as well go the geek route

Settings > Sound > Volume seems to have the settings you're talking about. What's odd is that when my phone is on silent I don't experience what you're talking about with the Alarm, but I use an app called Alarm Clock Plus.

Can you use it to keep the screen from turning on at night. I have noticed that for no reason at all my S3 turns the screen on. It also turns the screen on when i get a text message, very annoying

The screen comes on for about a second or less. How could that possibly be that annoying unless you're a light sleeper or you must be looking at your phone constantly? I'm sure there's a setting to change this...

Last edited:
My SGS3 is always on silent and the alarm still goes off full blast. Just try it. Set the alarm 3 minutes from now and see what happens when you have the phone on silent or vibrate or whatever.

annoying unless you're a light sleeper or you must be looking at your phone constantly? I'm sure there's a setting to change this...

Its annoying because my server alerting can kick off a ton of emails at night if patching reboots are going on, each server that reboots sends three alerts, offline email/online email/reboot email. That can add up to 200+ emails in one night, even something that flashes for 1 second becomes annoying as crap lol.

It looks like with the S3 the email notifications you cannot turn off the ring part and have only vibrate, it will ring if you have notifications turned on no matter what mode the phone is in. But if you turn notification off, you don't get the mail icon in the message bar

This is annoying as heck, i'll just root it and get a different rom lol

Alarm Clock Plus is just an app but has the options to go off with an independent volume even through silent modes.

Just turn off the data and WiFi when you go to bed, then you can't get emails in the middle of the night. That is what my wife does.

Just crank up the alarm volume in the clock settings. Then use your rocker and click your ringer volume down to the full silent mode when you go to bed. I also just face my phone down at night so the screen won't be noticed.

I'd go with turning data and WiFi off though if you would still like phone calls to come in at night in case of an emergency.

Download Alarm Clock Xtreme. It's free, it's awesome, it's lightweight, and you can set all your phone volume settings from within it. Whether my phone ring volume is silent, vibrate, low volume. or high volume the alarm clock always rings the same. I have it set to start at 5% volume and work to 100% over 30 seconds. Very nice alarm clock app.

cant +1 this enough... freakin awesome app... get this.

Back