I'm starting to be thankful I missed out on the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure some games will come up with fantastic uses for the Wiimote. I'm also sure the majority won't. Only time will tell what will happen and how it will be used.

The novelty of the controller is definitely wearing off quick (as can be seen in this thread) and I expect that many games in the first part of 2007 will tank because of it. I remember a few months ago people would be like "OMFG FISHING GAME, IT CAN USE THE WIIMOTE LIKE A REAL FISHING POLE OMFG AWESOME." These same people would call a PS2 fishing game boring and not pay any attention to it. Well, now that the Wiimote isn't that big of a deal anymore most people will look at a Wii fishing game as being mostly boring also.

Rocketpig said:
How so?

If anything, I think the next generation of consoles will all use some sort of WiiMote tech. It's the one thing about the system that I think will stick around for years to come.

A lot of times when I'm gaming, its after working for 12 hours straight, and I'm super tired, and I just want to be lazy, sit in one place, and play a game.. Can you do that with a Wii? Or do you have to be swinging your arms around like a mad man the entire time?

Astrogiblet said:
A lot of times when I'm gaming, its after working for 12 hours straight, and I'm super tired, and I just want to be lazy, sit in one place, and play a game.. Can you do that with a Wii? Or do you have to be swinging your arms around like a mad man the entire time?

Oh no, not at all. In fact, I've never been so lazy as I am when I play Zelda.

With a cord between the two controllers, you don't even have to hold your arms in any one position. I find myself sprawled out on the couch most of the time with one arm (laying on my lap) pointed at the screen and the other hanging down below. I could never sit like that with a conventional controller.

On the other hand, some games are best standing. It really depends on the game.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
To be fair, though, it really depends on whether or not developers can come up with a steady stream of titles that take advantage of the control scheme without tacking it on for the sake of it.

Very true.

And in this age of porting games to multiple consoles in order to make a profit, I fear much of the Wiimote controls may feel tacked on.

As always though, the first party games will be stellar. All 3 of them. =/

PoweredBySoy said:
Very true.

And in this age of porting games to multiple consoles in order to make a profit, I fear much of the Wiimote controls may feel tacked on.

As always though, the first party games will be stellar. All 3 of them. =/

lol...Whatever you gotta tell yourself I guess.

Is the Wii for everyone not really, but damn don't diss it because you live by yourself and have no social friends ;)

On the up note, as long as developers know a console is out there in large numbers, then there's every reason to develop a game for it. Another thing is now the Wii adds a new dimension to gaming not yet explored in detail. When I first got my DS, I didn't think I'd get much play out of it, but surely and slowly it's game library increased and I just picked up FF3 for it today.

I look at the Wii's future in the same way, a good steady stream of games are coming, a month is not enough time to develop and judge the games on the Wii. There's a lot of potential just waiting to be tapped.

Imagine a Wii soccer game where you attach a par that straps to your ankle, control the player with one hand, kick, do some dekes etc with the new Wii part. Hockey concept is pretty neat, imagine doing wristers and slapshots, or simple saves...

i enjoyed my wii for all 75 or so of the hours that i played zelda (to completion), red steel, and wii sports

my mom got me GT Pro Series for christmas and it sucks. it's pretty tough, i might just need to give it more time though.

but i haven't played it past the 60+ hours of zelda and hour-long skirmishes with friends in wii sports

my 360, which i bought about a week before the wii, has seen at least twice the gameplay, with 360 and the game depth with Gears, R6: Vegas, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

i'm hoping the wii comes out with some more deep games (i think zelda is even the best game i've ever played, higher than HL2, MGS, GTA:VC, etc) to combat all of the DS-like ports that have about 20 minutes of play.

This is only my second day, yesterday I spent most my time on red steel(despite the reviews, it is decent) and today on Zelda.

When I moved the Wii from our 25inch TV to the 51inch, aiming became jerky and erratic. I was pissed because adjusting the sensitivity in the Wii menu did nothing....thank god I just found the Zelda Calibration Wizard, fixed everything, it basically runs through 3 test screens to figure out your playing distance, sensor bar position, and television size.

I see myself putting it down soon though, like everyone says it is over price, no titles, and doesn't even have decent graphics to hold people's attention.

Astrogiblet said:
Flicking the wrist....Wii sports is really the only game require big motions for pitching, batting, bowling.

DragonMasterAlex said:
What a bunch of ignorant drivel. There are plenty of worthy titles out for Wii right now, including Zelda, Rayman, Elebits, Madden (best version, no less!), Trauma Center, hell, even Excite truck is worthwhile.

Meanwhile, 3rd parrty developers are *tripping* over themselves trying to play catch up and get games built for Wii. The system's looking to have a *very* bright future indeed. You can chalk up the first launch day sales to !!!!!!s, the rest are certainly not.

Also, component cables are $29, not $60.

local store was selling them for 59.99 madcatz

i borrowed a wii and every game avail and pretty much zelda was all i enjoyed. the controller was a let down. i was hoping for some really neat sword play but it turned out to be a duck hunt controller with a large analog stick. i do like the controller a lot more than the standard xbox/ps

From another Forum

NINTENDO WII GAME LIST AND THE WEBSITES THE GAMES WERE FIRST REPORTED AS REALISES, THE LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND SOME OF THE GAMES ALREADY HAVE AN EXISTING REALISE.

THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERS ARE USED TO DENOTE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE GAME.

(L) - THIS GAME HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY REPORTED AS A WII TITLE.
(O) - OTHER CONSOLES. THIS GAME IS FOUND ON OTHER GAMING CONSOLES.
(N) - NINTENDO TITLE. THIS GAME IS A FIRST OR SECOND PARTY NINTENDO TITLE.
(?) - QUESTIONABLE STATUS. THIS GAME'S EXISTENCE IS RUMORED AND/OR IT HAS NOT BEEN FORMALLY CONFIRMED FOR WII.

0–9
100 BULLETS — IGN (O) (?)

A
ALIEN SYNDROME - SEGA
ALIVE — INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE (O) (?)
ANIMAL CROSSING (WII) — IGN (N)
THE ANT BULLY — MIDWAY (O)
AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER — THQ (O)

B
BAJA DESTRUCTION - EUROGAMER (O)
BAJA MANIA - EUROGAMER (O)
BALLS OF FURY — CVG
BARNYARD — GAMESPOT (O)
BATTALION WARS 2 — CLUB SKILL (N)
BEIJING 2008 OLYMPIC GAMES — TEAMXBOX (O) (?)
BIG BRAIN ACADEMY WII — AUSSIE-NINTENDO.COM
THE BIGS — BUSINESS WIRE (O)
BIONICLE HEROES — GO NINTENDO (O)
BLAZING ANGELS: SQUADRONS OF WWII — UBISOFT (O)
BLEACH WII: SHIRAHA KIRAMEKU RINBUKYOKU — GO NINTENDO
BLITZ: THE LEAGUE — MIDWAY (O)
BOMBERMAN LAND — GAMESPOT
BOXING ACTION — GAMESPOT
BROKEN SAINTS — CUBED3 (O) (?)
BUST-A-MOVE BASH! — MAJESCO

C
CALL OF DUTY 3 — IGN (O) (L)
CARS — IGN (O) (L)
CHICKEN SHOOT + EGG CATCHER — CVG
CIMBORA'S FABULOUS BOAT RIDE
COOKING MAMA: COOK OFF — MAJESCO
CRAYON SHIN-CHAN: SAIKYOU KAZOKU KASUKABE KING CROSSWORD — IGN

D
DANCE FACTORY — GAMES ASYLUM (O)
DARKNESS — IGN
DEVIL KINGS — IGN (O)
DIGIMON — GAMESPOT
DISASTER: DAY OF CRISIS — PRO-G (N)
DISNEY'S CHICKEN LITTLE: ACE IN ACTION — BUENA VISTA GAMES (O)
DISNEY'S MEET THE ROBINSONS — BUENA VISTA GAMES (O)
DK BONGO BLAST — THE WIIRE(N)
THE DOG ISLAND — THE WIIRE
DONKEY KONG WII — IGN (N)
DOUBLE PANG — CUBED³
DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 — PLANET GAMECUBE (O) (L)
DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: THE MASKED QUEEN AND THE TOWER OF MIRRORS — IGN
DREAMERS — WORTH PLAYING

E
ELEBITS — IGN
ENNICHI NO TATSUJIN — THE WIIRE
EXCITE TRUCK — CUBED3 (N) (L)
EYESHIELD 21 — IGN

F
FAR CRY: VENGEANCE — UBISOFT (L)
FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: THE CRYSTAL BEARERS — IGN
FINAL FURLONG — N-SIDER
FIRE EMBLEM: GODDESS OF DAWN — GAMESPOT
FISHING MASTER — THE WIIRE
FOREVER BLUE — EUROGAMER (N)
FURI FURI — THE WIIRE

G
G1 JOCKEY 4 - GO NINTENDO
THE GODFATHER: THE GAME — EA (O)
GOTTLIEB PINBALL CLASSICS — GAMES ASYLUM
THE GRIM ADVENTURES OF BILLY AND MANDY — GO NINTENDO
GT PRO SERIES — UBISOFT (L)

H
HAJIME NO IPPO — GO NINTENDO
HAPPY FEET — MIDWAY (O) (L)
HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX — EA
HARVEST MOON (WII) — GAMESPOT
HEALING TYPE — THE WIIRE
HEATSEEKER — IGN

I
ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN VIDEO GAME — GAMESPOT (O)
IRON MAN — A+E INTERACTIVE (O) (?)

J
JAWA — GAMESPOT
JIGSAW PUZZLE — IGN

K
KIDUO SENSHI GUNDAM — IGN
KIRBY — IGN
KORORINPA — THE WIIRE
KIEKHIEFERS GAY GUSHERS

L
LEADERBOARD — GAMES ASYLUM
LEGEND OF THE DRAGON - HEXUS
LET'S GO BY TRAIN (DENSHA DE GO!) — GAMESPOT
LOST: THE VIDEO GAME — IGN (?)

M
MACHI KURU DOMINO — IGN
MADAGASCAR 2 — IGN (O)
MADDEN NFL 07 — GAMESPOT (L)
MAHJONG TAIKAI WII — IGN
MARIO KART WII — THE WIIRE (?)
MARIO PARTY 8 — IGN (N)
MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED — CLUB SKILL (N)
MARIONETTE — IGN (?)
MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE — ACTIVISION (O) (L)
MEDAL OF HONOR: AIRBORNE — GAMESPOT (O)
MERCURY MELTDOWN REVOLUTION — IGN
METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY — IGN (O) (L)
METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION — JOYSTIQ (N)
MONSTER 4X4 WORLD CIRCUIT — UBISOFT (O) (L)
MORTAL KOMBAT: ARMAGEDDON — GAMESRADAR (O)
MR. D GOES TO TOWN — GAMESPOT

N
NBA LIVE 07 — GONINTENDO (O) (?)
NCAA FOOTBALL 07 — IGN (O) (?)
NARUTO SHIPPŪDEN: GEKITOU NINJA TAISEN EX — IGN (?)
NECRO-NESIA — GAMESPOT
NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON — IGN (L) (O)
NO MORE HEROES — THE WIIRE
NOUMISO KONEKONE PUZZLE TAKORON — IGN

O
ONE PIECE: UNLIMITED ADVENTURE — IGN
OPEN SEASON — UBISOFT (L) (O)
ORB — CROSSBEAM STUDIOS ENTERTAINMENT

P
PAC-MAN CARNIVAL — IGN
PACHINDAA — IGN
POKÉMON BATTLE REVOLUTION — IGN (N)
PRINCE OF PERSIA WII — IGN
PRINCESS COMPANY — IGN
PROJECT H.A.M.M.E.R. — GAMING AGE (N)

R
RAFAEL NADAL TENNIS — VIRTUAL TOYS
RAID OVER THE RIVER WII — IGN
RAMPAGE: TOTAL DESTRUCTION — ADVANCED MEDIA NETWORK (O)
RANCH STORY — GAMESPOT
RAPALA TOURNAMENT FISHING — GONINTENDO
RATATOUILLE — THQ (O)
RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS — GAMINGAGE (O) (L)
READY TO RUMBLE 3 — NWIIZONE (?)
RED STEEL — GAME INFORMER (L)
RED STEEL SEQUEL
RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES — GAMESPOT
RIVER KING — IGN

S
SADNESS — GAMESPOT
SAN-X ALL-STAR WII — GAMESPOT
SEA MONSTERS — GAMASUTRA
SAMURAI WARRIORS WAVE — GAMASUTRA
SD GUNDAM G BREAKER — GAMESPOT
SHREK THE THIRD GAME — IGN (O) (?)
SIDEWINDER — GAMES ASYLUM
THE SIMS WII — GAMESPOT (O)
SNOOPY VS. THE RED BARON — THE WIIRE (O)
SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS — SEGA
SPIDER-MAN 3 — IGN (O)
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: CREATURE FROM THE KRUSTY KRAB — PLANET GAMECUBE (O)
SPORE — IGN (?)
SSX BLUR — EA
SUDOKU — IGN
SUPER FRUIT FALL — GAMES ASYLUM (L)
SUPER MARIO GALAXY — 1UP (N)
SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ — SEGA (L)
SUPER PAPER MARIO — THE WIIRE (N)
SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL — IGN (N)
SUPER SWING GOLF PANGYA — PLANET GAMECUBE (L)
SWORD OF LEGENDIA — GAMESPOT
SCHWENKS GUIDE TO WEATHER
STRAHLEMS GUIDE TO MARRIAGE

T
TAMAGOTCHI SPARKLING PRESIDENT — GAMESPOT
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES — EUROGAMER (O)
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS — IGN (N) (O) (L)
TH3 PLAN - CODENAME REVOLUTION (O)
THORN — CROSSBEAM STUDIOS ENTERTAINMENT
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07 — EA (O)
TIME CRISIS WII — SPONG (?)
TNA IMPACT! — CUBED3 (O)
TOKYO XTREME RACER DRIFT 2 (O)
TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT — IGN (L) (O)
TONY HAWK'S DOWNHILL JAM — IGN (L)
TOOT & PUDDLE — CVG
TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION — GAMESAREFUN (L)
TURN IT AROUND!! — GAMESPOT

W
WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES — CUBED3 (N)
WII HEALTH PACK — VOOKS
WII MUSIC — GAMESPOT (N)
WII PLAY — N-SIDER (N) (L)
WII SPORTS — CUBED3 (L) (N)
WII SPORTS:AIRPLANE -IGN
WINNING ELEVEN — CVG
WING ISLAND — THE WIIRE
WORLD SERIES OF POKER: TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS — THE WIIRE (L)

UNTITLED GAMES
AQ INTERACTIVE 3D SHOOTING GAME — IGN
AQ INTERACTIVE GAME BASED ON A MAJOR COMIC LICENSE — IGN
ARTDINK PROJECT(S) — ADVANCEDMN
ASNETWORKS ACTION GAME — IGN
ASNETWORKS FISHING GAME — IGN
ASNETWORKS SHOOTING GAME — IGN
BACKBONE ENTERTAINMENT
BANPRESTO ACTION GAME — IGN
BARKING LIZARDS TECHNOLOGIES PROJECTS
CAMELOT RPG — IGN
CELLIEN STUDIOS PROJECT(S) — THE WIIRE
CING PROJECT(S) — BUTTONBASHER
CORESOFT PROJECT(S)
DAY 1 STUDIOS PROJECT(S) — THE WIIRE
EA SALT LAKE PROJECT(S) - EA
EMERGING ENTERTAINMENT VIOLENCE-FREE TITLE — EMERGING ENTERTAINMENT (O)
EPOCH ACTION GAME — GAMESPOT
UNSPECIFIED FALL LINE STUDIO PROJECTS - GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ
FROM SOFTWARE ACTION GAME — GAMESPOT
FROM SOFTWARE ACTION RPG — IGN
FROM YELLOW TO ORANGE PROJECT — GAMASUTRA
GAME FACTORY PROJECT — GAMESPOT
GEARBOX SOFTWARE PROJECT(S) — CINEMA BLEND
GODZILLA PROJECT — THE WIIRE
HELIXE PROJECT(S) — CODENAME REVOLUTION
HIDEO KOJIMA PROJECT - SPONG
HIGH VOLTAGE PROJECTS — GAMASUTRA
INTERCHANNEL SWORD FIGHTING ACTION GAME — IGN
JALECO TITLE — GAMESPOT
KOEI RPG — IGN
Konami ACTION ADVENTURE GAME 1 — IGN
Konami ACTION ADVENTURE GAME 2 — IGN
Konami BASEBALL GAME — IGN
Konami MUSIC SIMULATION GAME — IGN
Konami RPG GAME — IGN
KROME STUDIOS PROJECT(S) — AUSSIE-NINTENDO
LUCASARTS PROJECT(S) — IGN
MAJESCO TITLE — MAJESCO
MANA PROJECT — N-PHILES (?)
MARVELOUS INTERACTIVE ORIGINAL SIMULATION TITLE — GAMESPOT
MILESTONE INC. ACTION GAME — GAMESPOT
MILESTONE INC. VERTICAL SHOOTER — GAMESPOT
MONOLITH SOFT RPG — IGN (N) (?)
NEKO ENTERTAINMENT PROJECT
N-SPACE GAME — GAMESPOT
OEFUN PROJECT — THE WIIRE
PAGE 44 PROJECT(S)
PAPAYA STUDIO PROJECT(S)
PLANET MOON PROJECT(S)
PRONTO GAMES PROJECT
PYRO STUDIOS PROJECT
PYRO STUDIOS ADVENTURE GAME
RED TRIBE PROJECT — VOOKS.NET
SBTEAM FUTURISTIC RACING GAME - GO NINTENDO
SEGA GUN SHOOTING GAME — IGN
SENSORY SWEEP STUDIOS ACTION TITLE
SHINY ENTERTAINMENT PROJECT(S)
THE SIMPSONS PROJECT(S) — ADVANCEDMN (O) (?)
SIMPLE SERIES GAME — GAMESPOT
TERMINAL REALITY PROJECTS
THQ/RELIC ENTERTAINMENT STRATEGY GAME — CREATIVEHEADS (O)
TOMY 3D ACTION GAME — IGN
TOMY ACTION GAME — GAMESPOT
TOMY BATTLE ACTION GAME — GAMESPOT
TORUS GAMES PROJECTS - PALGN
UBISOFT PROJECTS - UBISOFT
YASUMI MATSUNO PROJECT — 1UP

Sure there is SOMETHING in there for people :rolleyes:

todlerix said:
local store was selling them for 59.99 madcatz

There are cheaper models out there. Psyclone and React both have cables for >$30 and the ones from Nintendo themselves are $30, too.
For a little while they were rare and people were eBay'ing and selling them on Amazon for $80-100, but now I wouldn't pay more than $30.

Netrat33 said:
From another Forum

Sure there is SOMETHING in there for people :rolleyes:

So thats like 100 or 150 games, and I'm sure thats most of the list of the games coming out, ever.

Lets take a look at xbox or PS3's list to compare...

Astrogiblet said:
So thats like 100 or 150 games, and I'm sure thats most of the list of the games coming out, ever.

Lets take a look at xbox or PS3's list to compare...
How can you be certain that's a comprehensive list of every Wii game that will ever be released?

I think the DS is the perfect example of something that arrived with many titles just trying to cash in on the new system using the stylus as a gimmick. Now the system is unbelievably popular and has many many excellent titles. I think the same thing will happen with the Wii.

As we've seen with games like Far Cry for the Wii, there are many developers who are just trying to pump out games trying to milk the cash cow during the holiday season and launch hype. The graphics and AI of Far Cry for the Wii make it painfully clear that Ubisoft completely dropped the ball and just didn't put any time or effort into it. Future titles will certainly be head and shoulders above this initial launch offering (as they always are), and I think the low development cost (which look even lower in comparison to developing for the 360 or PS3) as well as the quickly expanding user-base will introduce a lot of new third-party games taking advantage of the system. That should help the previous issue with only first-party titles being awesome.

As for those people moaning about the games available right now and in the near future: launch line-ups are usually poor, and we all know this. Give it a few months and we'll start to see more defined directions for the hundred-some-odd titles above, and then we can press further judgment.

Finally, I think people are taking the wrong tack here in comparing the Wii with the PS3 and 360. In my opinion the PS3 and 360 should ONLY ever be considered if you have given up/don't want to try PC gaming. The Wii is the perfect compliment to any of those systems, as it offers a different type of gameplay.

quadnad said:
Finally, I think people are taking the wrong tack here in comparing the Wii with the PS3 and 360. In my opinion the PS3 and 360 should ONLY ever be considered if you have given up/don't want to try PC gaming. The Wii is the perfect compliment to any of those systems, as it offers a different type of gameplay.

Truth!

I love my Wii.. compliments my PC very nicely. I probably wont jump into an xbox360 or ps3 for awhile, I feel like theyre dumbed down versions of PC.. and I dont want to play my FPS games with dual analogs. But Wii is going to give me things I wont ever see on PC - awesome first party nintendo games, unique gameplay, and crazy multiplayer experiences.. I dont expect my Wii to take over as my supreme gaming system, but even if I just hop on for a quick game of something once a week, I'll be happy with it.

It's only a different kind of gameplay if the game fits the controller. For example, you could never do a soccer game using the motion sensor. You use your legs in that sport. How about a racing game? That motion thing makes no sense when cars are driven with pedals and steering wheels. Or how about a sidescroller. Or how about a space shooter. There are only a few parts in the zelda RPG where the motion thing adds to the gameplay, like when you're shooting or swinging something in your hand. I don't see things like fighting games or Smash Bros benefiting from a mouselike controller either. Too many combos and special moves that you need a standard controller to pull off.

In the end, I think there will be a couple of must-haves, then a bunch of graphically challenged ports with tacked on motion features.

Wii is for casual gamers, outside of Zelda (which is also on GC), there really isn't anything for the hardcore gamers. Like someone already said, Wii is a perfect second system to to along with PC, 360 or PS3.

FitzRoy said:
It's only a different kind of gameplay if the game fits the controller. For example, you could never do a soccer game using the motion sensor. You use your legs in that sport. How about a racing game? That motion thing makes no sense when cars are driven with pedals and steering wheels. Or how about a sidescroller. Or how about a space shooter. There are only a few parts in the zelda RPG where the motion thing adds to the gameplay, like when you're shooting or swinging something in your hand. I don't see things like fighting games or Smash Bros benefiting from a mouselike controller either. Too many combos and special moves that you need a standard controller to pull off.

In the end, I think there will be a couple of must-haves, then a bunch of graphically challenged ports with tacked on motion features.

Fully agree, SMBB (the Wii's killer app for most people) doesn't even use the Wiimote, it's going to the GC controller. I just don't see the Wiimote + Nunchuck working for every genre due to the lack of buttons.

Technoob said:
And large groups of college students are going to gather to play wiibowling and wiitennis on a longterm basis? I can't see it personally. *personally*

I can. It's been a while since I was in college (we had a Sega Genesis back then and that was the latest deal), but we all sat around *watching* people play. I could easily see the college crowd messing around with the Wii for quite a while. I don't even own a console currently, and haven't since I lost custody of my modded PS one in a nasty break up years ago. All of my gaming is on the PC. For me, the only current contenders that I see are the Wii for the unique controller and the X360 because of the game line up.

The only thing that I could see stopping the college crowd from playing WiiSports is if they are too stoned to move. Considering how many times I sat around watching people *play the Sega* wanting something to drink and a cigarette, but being too damn stoned to get up and find either, I suppose that's a possibility.

Of course, maybe the college scene is different now.

Note that this post, of course, is rather biased because while I can't remember even going to several of the classes that I somehow passed, I know every special move for all of the characters in Streets of Rage and occasionally get the urge to shriek "Bare Knuckle!".

Why do I think this? Because everyone knows how to bowl and play tennis, so it's very easy to pick it up and do it. Just like SoR was easy - you beat the hell out of everyone. The Wii has a lot of easy to play titles. (Easy enough that even a group of people too stoned to order a pizza can do it). Sometimes it's good to be able to pick something up and just play it without it being overly complicated.

Heres my big 2 pennies.

Seriously, sometimes you just don't want to stand up and game. I also don't think the accuracy of the thing is exceptional. After much tweaking, a lot of Wii Sports, some Rayman, Metal Slug, Trauma Center, and extended play with both ours and a friends Wii the last week or so, it's not the revolutionary item I expected it to be. The way some people on this forum rabidly defend the thing, and the way everyone goes on and on, I was really expecting to be blown away. I honestly don't like it that much.

I was trying to keep an open mind, but depending on how the game lineup fills out in the next year, I may not buy one at all. I won't lie, it was serious fun for the first 3 hours, when my dad and grandpa played golf, and I knocked my brother out in boxing by punching him in the forehead repeatedly. Rayman is one of the coolest and funniest games ever, although I hate how you must unlock party games with single player accomplishments.

Additional nitpicks keeping me from away from Wii is the pricing on the VC, the lack of online implementation, and the non-info available on what they plan to do with their legacy franchises.

I won't say it isn't fun in spurts, but it will never be my first tier gaming machine. I hate the button layout on the wiimote too, for the record.

I'm glad so many of you like it, and I'm glad nintendo has a hit on their hands, lets see if it gets any better than bowling.

dotK said:
How can you be certain that's a comprehensive list of every Wii game that will ever be released?

I'm not, but using that as a difinitive list of all games that are going to be released soon is just as dumb. Thats every game that has even been announced/speculated on, and most of those games probably wont be out for another year or two.

Nintendo is good for that, getting lists and lists of games before the system even comes out. The christmas before I got my DS I went to nintendo's site, found all these awesome games that they had listed as coming out, and of course 6 months after the DS was out, I had one, went to best buy once a week and could never find any of those games... And none of the ones they had were any good so I sold it.. Now I'm regretting that as there are actually some good games out for it finally.

Kahnvex said:
I'm glad so many of you like it, and I'm glad nintendo has a hit on their hands, lets see if it gets any better than bowling.

I think it's because Nintendo has such a hit on their hands that it will get better than bowling. Had it not been such a sales success, I could certainly see the system relegated to the "gimmicks that could've worked if they had the support" bin.

Kahnvex said:
Heres my big 2 pennies.

Seriously, sometimes you just don't want to stand up and game. I also don't think the accuracy of the thing is exceptional. After much tweaking, a lot of Wii Sports, some Rayman, Metal Slug, Trauma Center, and extended play with both ours and a friends Wii the last week or so, it's not the revolutionary item I expected it to be. The way some people on this forum rabidly defend the thing, and the way everyone goes on and on, I was really expecting to be blown away. I honestly don't like it that much.

I was trying to keep an open mind, but depending on how the game lineup fills out in the next year, I may not buy one at all. I won't lie, it was serious fun for the first 3 hours, when my dad and grandpa played golf, and I knocked my brother out in boxing by punching him in the forehead repeatedly. Rayman is one of the coolest and funniest games ever, although I hate how you must unlock party games with single player accomplishments.

Additional nitpicks keeping me from away from Wii is the pricing on the VC, the lack of online implementation, and the non-info available on what they plan to do with their legacy franchises.

I won't say it isn't fun in spurts, but it will never be my first tier gaming machine. I hate the button layout on the wiimote too, for the record.

I agree, i also was looking forward to gun games (something like time crisis) but the wii mote is not suited for gun games for me, for example when you hold a gun or arcade gun straight aiming at the screen, your arm and fist are parallel to the floor, when you hold the wiimote and aim straight (wiimote parallel to the ground) i have to bend my wrist which is extremely uncomfortable, i dont want to be forced to buy another attachment for the wii for gun games. So in rayman on the shooting games my wiimote is always at a 45 degree angle....not good.

I think for the price, and the play value, I feel confident in my Wii purchase. After logging over 60 hours in Zelda, a number of Wii Sports (when family and friends are over), classic games, SFII, SMB, Zelda are now eating some serious gaming time. I think this system is definitly here to stay.

On top of the fact I have it fully loaded (4 controllers, 4 nunchuks, 2 classics, 2 games, 4 retro) for LESS than the cost of my core 60GB PS3...

Slade said:
On top of the fact I have it fully loaded (4 controllers, 4 nunchuks, 2 classics, 2 games, 4 retro) for LESS than the cost of my core 60GB PS3...
what the heck? could you give me a price breakdown for all that please? you either got ripped off with the core (20gb?) PS3 or you got the wii+ extras extremely cheap

"KIEKHIEFERS GAY GUSHERS "

What. The. Hell. Is that?

Heh, guess those people calling the Wii a kiddie console were wrong!

kelbear said:
"KIEKHIEFERS GAY GUSHERS "

What. The. Hell. Is that?

Heh, guess those people calling the Wii a kiddie console were wrong!

good god, wtf is that?!

I am very pleased with it. I realy enjoy bowling and golfing with my kids. We are having a blast with it. I also fired up COD3 and thats going to take getting used to with the controllers but it does add to the realism. Wii sports rules for entertaining guests once they have a few beers in them as well. The modern equivalent of twister lol but hey I am an old dude and easily amused

Rash said:
what the heck? could you give me a price breakdown for all that please? you either got ripped off with the core (20gb?) PS3 or you got the wii+ extras extremely cheap

Wii = 250
Controllers = 4 x 40 = 160
Nunchuks = 4 x 20 = 80
Classic Controller = 2 x 20 = 40
Games = 2 x 50 - 20 (wii sports is included in console price) = 50
Retro Games = $20 points card = 20

250 + 160 + 80 +40 + 50 + 20 = $600

And there were multiple coupons he could of had and there were multiple promotions like CC had $5 off any wii accessory at launch, so it's very viable that he got all that for less than the PS3 cost

Edit: subtract another $60 because it already comes w/ a set of controllers bringing it to $540

quadnad said:
good god, wtf is that?!

Hmmm.... pr0n for the Wii? "I sat @ home playing with my Wii all night" kind of takes on a whole new meaning doesn't it?

I'm seeing "fun for the whole family" in a different light ...

For $250 and change it certainly is attractive. I know I can't get an 8800 GTS for that currently. Combined with the fact that you can't get the same experience on the PC (the controllers and the social aspect), I can certainly see many people getting it as a second gaming device, or as their only console if they play PC games mostly. I don't even own a console, but considering how awful 2006 was in general for PC gaming, I'm definitely considering getting either a Wii or an xbox 360.

quadnad said:
Remember, it ships with one set so you can subtract $60.

...although you might also add $30 for component cables (if he has them), too.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Wii = 250
Controllers = 4 x 40 = 160
Nunchuks = 4 x 20 = 80
Classic Controller = 2 x 20 = 40
Games = 2 x 50 - 20 (wii sports is included in console price) = 50
Retro Games = $20 points card = 20

250 + 160 + 80 +40 + 50 + 20 = $600

And there were multiple coupons he could of had and there were multiple promotions like CC had $5 off any wii accessory at launch, so it's very viable that he got all that for less than the PS3 cost

Edit: subtract another $60 because it already comes w/ a set of controllers bringing it to $540
my mistake, i thought he meant 20gb ps3, btw 4 controllers, thats a lot of aa batteries! (another thing that pissed me off, where are the oficial rechargeable kits for the wiimotes? and the wireless classic controller? Also wheres the ethernet connection or am i too lazy to find it? Feel sorry for those that are forced to buy wireless routers to get net connection for their wii

Rash said:
my mistake, i thought he meant 20gb ps3, btw 4 controllers, thats a lot of aa batteries! (another thing that pissed me off, where are the oficial rechargeable kits for the wiimotes? and the wireless classic controller? Also wheres the ethernet connection or am i too lazy to find it? Feel sorry for those that are forced to buy wireless routers to get net connection for their wii

I bought three sets of rechargable batteries and a charger for $19. I also got one pair of AAA batteries in the deal for one of my television remotes.

And who doesn't have some sort of wireless setup nowadays? Most people I know sprung for a wireless router awhile ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back