I'm sick of listening to people bash Vista in the IT world

I experimented with it at home, ended up turning off UAC because of how annoying it was (which defeats one of the main things about Vista) and all the games I tried didn't work right (SupCom - no sound) or ran slower (Bioshock/HL2:source games).

1) UAC is not annoying. Any OS that implements this sort of security utilizes this. Mac and Linux (sudo) both do.
Basically, any change that is system-wide.

2) Games not running right is the sole responsibility of the developer. If they would have followed Microsoft's recommended guidelines, they would have not had issues. It's sloppily writing crap to system directories that breaks things... We just can't be doing that anymore... Keep it USER-LEVEL.

No reason to upgrade at work, no desire to upgrade at home. Everything I have runs fine on XP and I have no reason to pay money for a new OS that won't benefit me over what I currently have. Maybe at some point, but that's the way it is for now. I don't hate it, I just don't want it.

At work, we have virtual machines running Vista but aren't used in our production environment. It's more there for anyone who wants to play around with it can. We still use Windows XP because we have to - one of our partner's is a software customer relations developers (amongst other things) and they only support Windows 2000 and Windows XP. We use their software so going with Vista full-time just wouldn't work.

The Vista bashing comes from misinformed people who just jump on the bandwagon.

I use Vista exclusively at home, and have installed Vista on approximately 50% of my Windows machines at work. A couple machines I can't upgrade due to software compatibility issues (the vendor just now officially supports XP SP2), and some are old enough machines that I know better than to try and make it work (heck XP runs slow on them).

XP to Vista was a much smoother transition for our windows machines than are move from OS X 10.4 to 10.5 was on our Mac's.

1) UAC is not annoying. Any OS that implements this sort of security utilizes this. Mac and Linux (sudo) both do.
Basically, any change that is system-wide.
Dont tell me what annoys me or what doesn't. XP doesn't annoy me, Vista does.

2) Games not running right is the sole responsibility of the developer. If they would have followed Microsoft's recommended guidelines, they would have not had issues. It's sloppily writing crap to system directories that breaks things... We just can't be doing that anymore... Keep it USER-LEVEL.
true, but irrelevant.

my issues with vista stem from a computer i have in another office. it crashes IE and Office programs constantly. every Vista image in the department has the same problems. it's nasty. when i go back there, hopefully they will have installed whatever upgrades will fix this.

additionally, i am not super-crazy about the responsiveness of the system, and to my recollection it's a fairly beefy system... most of the time it's alright, but there are times you'll hear the CPU fan start taking off and the system is unresponsive for 15 or 20 seconds. it's an annoyance.

there's nothing that makes me want to never use Vista other than the hardware hog it is. it is *mostly* useable in my experience and i don't mind it for the most part.

but other than that, the title of this thread reminds me of the "Leave Brittany Alone!" video.

Dont tell me what annoys me or what doesn't. XP doesn't annoy me, Vista does.
True, but my point is you cannot have the sort of security an operating system needs, on this level, without doing something like UAC.

true, but irrelevant.
How so? You complained the games don't work- it shouldn't be a gripe against Vista, but rather the game devs.

my issues with vista stem from a computer i have in another office. it crashes IE and Office programs constantly. every Vista image in the department has the same problems.
Sounds like your image is F'd up because no Vista install should behave like that.

Sounds like your image is F'd up because no Vista install should behave like that.

LOL - I can't imagine why EVERY machine would crash if they were built from the same image. That doesn't make sense! :D

This whole argument reminds me of when Windows 95 came out. My dad REFUSED to install it. Absolutely refused. He preferred DOS. He had different reasons for it, but most of those just boiled down to "he didn't understand it." It's the same thing with XP vs. Vista. It's unfamiliar, they're afraid, and they've heard the FUD.

LOL - I can't imagine why EVERY machine would crash if they were built from the same image. That doesn't make sense! :D

This is why I come to the [H], for it's killer logic.
Flatten and rebuild, while I lol.

Actually, it does.

If EVERY machine is crashing, and the computers were all installed from the SAME image, makes perfect sense.

I heard this nonsense coming from another room at the dentist's office while I was getting my routine cleaning. I wanted to get out of my chair and go correct everything they said, but alas, they moved on to bashing on macs and I knew I could do no good.

Actually, it does.

If EVERY machine is crashing, and the computers were all installed from the SAME image, makes perfect sense.

He was joking. ;)
Seriously though, I've been using it and love it. I had some crashing issues but that was my dying PSU.

Short version -

Home: Loving it.
Work: Not gonna happen.
+1

I think Vista is great, but I have yet to see a viable reason for a business to upgrade. It's too expensive.

That being said, it's great for home use. At this point I wouldn't bother going back to XP unless I had some old hardware I was throwing together.

Anyone else sick to death of this? I work in IT, and this is all I hear, day in and day out.

Im sick of hearing it too. The arguing and whining over which version was faster, used less ram, was more secure... I dont care. I view an OS like a toaster, or any other household appliance. You buy it with the intention of the thing doing some sort of task. You replace it when its either so old and outdated that its useless, or untill it breaks. XP vs vista, its not that hard to understand why people dont want a new OS, and it shouldnt be hard to understand why some people would bitch/moan/talk crap about vista. Vista represents change, and many people including myself arnt looking forward to a new OS.

Dont get this confused between different crowds of people. There are the last 3 pages of this thread which is NOT what im talking about. Im talking about the people who are just using the computers, and saying something like "dammit I just got used to xp, and now you bastards are going to change it to vista".

Sadly this nonsense doesnt stop with computers, its involved with everything. But it seems worse with computers, since the issue is usually a trivial one.

Sorry to break it down to you guys. Vista is just.... pure garbage. I mean i've tried vista myself many time so did the IT guys at my work. Only one most special thing about vista is the dx10, not to mention, it's really fabulous. Vista is basically a remake and a spiced up xp but it's horribly designed. And yes i'm on the hate bandwagon since i've actually tried it for myself after hearing all of the bashing and the oooh's.

this might help ya out :p just to show how bad it is

vista.jpg

yeah... so i never said that the image didn't have problems... but it shouldn't happen either way. it's annoying when Excel crashed during an exam and i have to tell my students that it's beyond their control and if they make the whole thing up then they won't be penalized. you just don't change the image on 100 machines in the middle of a semester unless it is unusable, which it wasn't.

interesting that none of you quoted the second part where i said that i hope over the summer they install the upgrades and fix the problems.

this might help ya out :p just to show how bad it is

:rolleyes:

Can do this all day long...
osx_bsod.jpg

And for the record, and I realize this is *my* personal experience... OS X crashes way more than XP or Vista have ever crashed on me. Not just the ones I've used, but the ones folks use around me.

I really don't get the claims that Vista (or, for that matter, XP) blue-screens all the time - that's completely contrary to my experience. I've been using this Vista machine for six months now and have only seen a STOP error once, and even that was due to some badly-behaved hardware. I can't remember seeing many in XP, either.

You can't make an OS that's totally impossible to bring down, unless it's very locked down - as above, it can even happen to OS X. But if Windows, like any other modern OS, is having blue-screen errors, then it's a sign of a definite problem somewhere (usually hardware/driver related), not general flakiness and very rarely anything software. Windows 9x was a different matter, but the idea that blue-screens happen on a weekly or even monthly basis is very out of date.

Vista is basically a remake and a spiced up xp but it's horribly designed.
One of the first rules of making a point in a debate is to not contradict your viewpoint, or say anyting to ruin your credibility. If you truly believe the above quote, then it is quite obvious you haven't spent much time using, or even reading about Vista.

I'm not even going to justify your linked image with much of a comment, because it speaks volumes already about how much legitimate proof you have on your side, but I will just say this. If the system in question had a bad memory module, and that caused the BSoD, would that really be Vista's fault? Or, even more of a legitimate reason, what if the power running to the system was dirty, and the PC in question had a cheap low quality PSU?

Sorry to be so crude, but you basically just walked into a gunfight holding a plastic spork.

Back