I'm SERIOUSLY considering suing AMD...HD audio installation is a JOKE!

JoeUser

2[H]4U
OK...so after HOURS of playing around with my 6870's and drivers from both ATI and Realtek I CAN NOT for the life of me get HD audio formats to work (i.e. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA).

I've tried the latest and greatest Blu-ray software from PowerDVD 10 Ultra to Arcsoft TotalMedia Platinum 3 AND 5 and NOTHING I do can get HD audio formats to work.

I'm using a Denon AVR-1610 which supports these formats.

I've tried the ATI audio driver with the newest Realtek HDMI driver in all sorts of combos (no ATI only Realtek - ATI and Realtek - only Realtek no ATI) and NOTHING I G0D4MN try can get HD audio working...I'm using a 1.4a HDMI cable straight to the receiver...no frills no switches.

I really CAN NOT understand how after all this time ATI and/or Realtek haven't been able to get their shit together...how can they advertise that their cards support HD audio when an advanced user like myself cannot get it to work no matter what I do.

I'm seriously thinking about taking them to court over this shit...this is fucking ridiculous!!!

Does ANYONE have any suggestions what so ever as to what the hell is going on here?!?!

EDIT: Before anyone asks I am using 5.1, 24-bit 96khz in sound settings...also all HD audio formats are listed as SUPPORTED...my ass!!!

I've heard that the hdmi audio on both ati and nvidia cards use "crappy" generic hd audio drivers. I'm not sure what to tell you but I know a LOT of people are having trouble similar to you, or they are complaining that the audio quality is trash

OK...so after HOURS of playing around with my 6870's and drivers from both ATI and Realtek I CAN NOT for the life of me get HD audio formats to work (i.e. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA).

I've tried the latest and greatest Blu-ray software from PowerDVD 10 Ultra to Arcsoft TotalMedia Platinum 3 AND 5 and NOTHING I do can get HD audio formats to work.

I've tried the ATI audio driver with the newest Realtek HDMI driver in all sorts of combos (no ATI only Realtek - ATI and Realtek - only Realtek no ATI) and NOTHING I G0D4MN try can get HD audio working...I'm using a 1.4a HDMI cable straight to the receiver...no frills no switches.

I really CAN NOT understand how after all this time ATI and/or Realtek haven't been able to get their shit together...how can they advertise that their cards support HD audio when an advanced user like myself cannot get it to work no matter what I do.

I'm seriously thinking about taking them to court over this shit...this is fucking ridiculous!!!

Does ANYONE have any suggestions what so ever as to what the hell is going on here?!?!

EDIT: Before anyone asks I am using 5.1, 24-bit 96khz in sound settings...also all HD audio formats are listed as SUPPORTED...my ass!!!

I have not had any problems since I disabled the onboard audio from the bios.

Are you sure that your software doesn't decode the audio internally instead of passing through the codecs?

I have not had any problems since I disabled the onboard audio from the bios.

WAYYYYY ahead of you...believe me, Ive been on top of this ALL DAMN DAY and NOTHING I have tried gets this shit to work.

As far as the actual audio being crappy...I have NO complaints what so ever when it comes to playing music or movies in Dolby Digital or DTS.

As far as I'm concerned though this charade has gone on long enough! Enough is enough I say and if someone as advanced as myself can't get this to work NO MATTER WHAT I'd HATE to know how the average user feels about this!

Are you sure that your software doesn't decode the audio internally instead of passing through the codecs?

Thats the problem...none of the software I've tried can even detect that HD audio is supported...if it actually is that is...which after everything I've tried to with no success I'm starting to think thats the case.

Have you gone into "manage audio devices" and selected HDMI? Also have you gone into your BIOS and made the correct changes?

Thats the problem...none of the software I've tried can even detect that HD audio is supported...if it actually is that is...which after everything I've tried to with no success I'm starting to think thats the case.

Well, if it decodes internally, the lights on your receiver definitely WILL not pop up. I have a similar setup (no blu-ray though), and the only way I can get any kind of pass-through is if I use WMP and then the reciever will drop into pass-through codec mode.

I know it sounds silly, but have you tried WMP?

Have you tried putting a display on the end of that receiver?

Yes, need to change my sig but it is currently hooked up to a Mitsubishi 60inch 1080p DLP 120hz. So it goes PC > RECEIVER > TV.

Well, if it decodes internally, the lights on your receiver definitely WILL not pop up. I have a similar setup (no blu-ray though), and the only way I can get any kind of pass-through is if I use WMP and then the reciever will drop into pass-through codec mode.

I know it sounds silly, but have you tried WMP?

WMP doesn't support Blu-ray playback.

Yes, need to change my sig but it is currently hooked up to a Mitsubishi 60inch 1080p DLP 120hz. So it goes PC > RECEIVER > TV.

WMP doesn't support Blu-ray playback.

Okay, lets try this then:

Try dropping a DVD into your blu-ray software. Does the light come up?
Then, drop the same DVD into WMP. Does the light come up?

Okay, lets try this then:

Try dropping a DVD into your blu-ray software. Does the light come up?
Then, drop the same DVD into WMP. Does the light come up?

Huh? Not using DVD's, using Blu-ray, and what lights are you speaking about, the HD audio lights on my receiver...if so then no. Also, again, WMP does not support Blu-ray playback.

It doesn't matter if you're using DVDs or not in day-to-day playback. I'm telling you to do this because it'll check to see if your software supports audio-codec passthrough or not. Your software may just be decoding it.

If it can pass through a DVD, it'll pass through a blu-ray.
I know WMP can do DVD audio passthrough, which is why it's a good tester.

Edit: and yes, I mean your DTS/Dolby/DTSMA/TrueHD lights.

What is this "Hd audio" light you speak of? It would say "PCM" if it was being encoded internally. It if was being streamed without any encoding it would say what it is "assuming your reciever can decode it" It would say....DTS MA etc.

It obviously works. Mine works, no issues.

power DVD should pass right through HDMI if it is currently in use by the player

power DVD should pass right through HDMI if it is currently in use by the player

Indeed it is. Ive even tried to set all formats to pass-through in FFDShow with no luck.

I mean, seriously, whats the big deal with getting this to work? I'm just completely out of ideas.

And yes, I'm sure that with almost EVERYONE I've seen on the internet having these problems a lawsuit would probably be a very easy case to win. Money is not an issue.

Indeed it is. Ive even tried to set all formats to pass-through in FFDShow with no luck.

I mean, seriously, whats the big deal with getting this to work? I'm just completely out of ideas.

And yes, I'm sure that with almost EVERYONE I've seen on the internet having these problems a lawsuit would probably be a very easy case to win. Money is not an issue.

Well, if it won't pass through with ANY software (including WMP), that's just strange. I have no issues getting passthrough working so long as I'm in WMP (VLC and the like just decodes by itself and I really don't care).

[yes, I know WMP doesn't support Blu-ray but it does support DVD and audio passthrough over HDMI.]

Audio pass-through works perfectly fine...just can't seem to get any software to recognize the fact that my system supposedly supports HD audio.

Leon, dvd uses dts and dolby digital codecs, which are not the same as DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD codecs. Just because the card can pass through dvd audio(which we already know it can), does not mean it will automatically pass through blueray audio(which is the problem at hand).

Exactly! Which is what I'm so confused about...I mean, if audio properties say that HD audio formats are supported then what exactly is preventing them from being used?

Leon, dvd uses dts and dolby digital codecs, which are not the same as DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD codecs. Just because the card can pass through dvd audio(which we already know it can), does not mean it will automatically pass through blueray audio(which is the problem at hand).

It's not the same, but it's generally the same concept. If you can pass through one thing over HDMI to the receiver, any other codec should work regardless of what it is so long as the receiver supports it.

Btw, just to chime in. I had a 5850 with my Denon 3808CI and it worked just fine, same with the 460 GTX (altought it needed an update from PowerDVD and in MediaTheater 3 i had to install the 'beta patch' for it to work).

Other than that, never had problems or any kind.

It's not the same, but it's generally the same concept. If you can pass through one thing over HDMI to the receiver, any other codec should work regardless of what it is so long as the receiver supports it.

Nope that's not how it works. Just becasue you can send DTS and Dolby digital over HDMI doesn't mean the software will send DTS-MA or True HD over HDMI.

And Joe, It's not the fault of ATI or Nvidia that this is so hard to get right. It's PAP (protected audio path) which causes the problem.

The actual culprit of your problem is the Denon receiver. It's not sending right EDID info and the PAP is broken which is why you can't get HD audio. And secondly, when did you get the receiver? If you bought it in 2009 then it needs a firmware upgrade, because there is an issue with these receivers and HD audio, itneed to send it to a service centre to get upgraded.

There is a thread about the EDID thing here,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227161

This might help you.

Sue the company putting out HDMI standards. The idiots that have developed it have created a protection scheme that only serves to undermine any desire on the users part to use it.

I have an ATI card that has had no problems passing HD audio to my Yamaha RX-V765 receiver. I don't have the latest drivers installed but I know I have updated them several times with no issues.

My problems with HDMI have been video related. I leave my HTPC on all of the time. When I change inputs on the receiver, the PC (HDMI protection scheme) freaks out and changes the resolution to the minimum because it can't handshake with the monitor/TV. Yamaha claims it is the fault of graphics card manufacturers for not being up to date on HDMI (can't handle a repeater in the mix) standards. I've just learned to not interact with the PC until I have selected that input. It also helps to shut everything down on it before changing inputs.

As usual, the culprit for this is almost assuredly the EDID string. Visit the thread that reaper12 posted. If you have to, have Tulli at AVS help you.

The 5450 in my HTPC won't pass through HD audio if I have the card configured for 5.1 channels. If I drop it down to stereo my TMT3 then defaults to bitstreaming the HD audio through HDMI. It's weird.

The 5450 in my HTPC won't pass through HD audio if I have the card configured for 5.1 channels. If I drop it down to stereo my TMT3 then defaults to bitstreaming the HD audio through HDMI. It's weird.

Are you using the default ATI driver or the more expanded Realtek version? The ATI version used to be notorious for having multi-channel drop outs and issues over a certain fidelity level, but the Realtek driver fixed that. I can't recommend that Realtek ATI driver highly enough. It's full-on stellar and the one major thing I miss about my 5870.

Are you using the default ATI driver or the more expanded Realtek version? The ATI version used to be notorious for having multi-channel drop outs and issues over a certain fidelity level, but the Realtek driver fixed that. I can't recommend that Realtek ATI driver highly enough. It's full-on stellar and the one major thing I miss about my 5870.

Using the Realtek driver...the option to install the audio driver from the Catalyst package wasn't even available so I had to use the latest Realtek driver.

Sad that something like that is THAT funny to you that you have to literally show people you know...

did you even read my post above?

And the reason the guy was laughing was becuase it's not an AMD problem.

Hmmm...I'm looking at Arcsofts website and it would appear that the 6870 series is FULLY supported (Arcsoft it would seem worked hand in hand with ATI for the 6xxx series)...I have the proper sound driver installed...all HD formats are shown as supported...yet still can't get shit working...

Also, as far as the EDID issue is concerned, from what I've been reading from driver version 10.4 and up that problem has been fixed. Also, I highly doubt it can be a firmware problem with my receiver...I mean, its not that old at all (even the model itself hasn't been out that long) so I just find the whole possible EDID/firmware issue to be a non-issue...I seriously think that something is off with the drivers. I mean, all the Blu-ray software that I'm using has all been fully updated and in the case of Arcsoft TMT 5 it was actually MADE with the 6870 in mind! So updated or not it shouldn't be an issue from the start.

did you even read my post above?

And the reason the guy was laughing was becuase it's not an AMD problem.

Yes, I read your post above. Cannot find a compatible EDID for my AVR-1610...if you can I'm all for it, but none of the ones I've tried are working (i.e. - they can't be installed).

You have no idea what you're doing....HDMI HD audio is not broken....been using it for 2 years through all AMD driver updates, just fine. Calm down, and do more troubleshooting. It's probably your receiver.

Yes, I read your post above. Cannot find a compatible EDID for my AVR-1610...if you can I'm all for it, but none of the ones I've tried are working (i.e. - they can't be installed).

How about the fact that you said it worked in your other thread :p?

Back