I'm really mad now

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 143938

I'm not dogging on Apple much, but the timing of all the updates since I got my MBP on 4/23/09 is just terrible.

First came the new revision a week or two ago. What changed? Extra 2GB, more HD space and a faster processor as well as 3 extra hours of battery life (and 700 extra cycles). I wasn't so much concerned about the speed because I had already upgraded my HD to a 7200RPM and gotten 4GB from Newegg for a combined for $145 so I was up to par with speed even though I could have gotten the upgrades for free if I had waited 2 weeks (I didn't know they would upgrade it. The research I did all suggested the earliest bump in speed would be around September).

What got me boiling was the extra 3 hours and 700 extra cycles. That is major. My MBP is only 2 months old according to Coconut and I already have 74 cycles. That means I'll get the 300-400 limit pretty darn quick. Not to mention the 3 extra hours would be very nice..

And now I'm reading this: http://gizmodo.com/5290473/nvidia-geforce-200m-graphics-cards-just-made-your-notebook-old-and-busted

Basically nVidia is releasing the 200M series which are faster than the 9 series with half the power consumption. This is just one or two weeks after the latest MB/P revisions. Which means in the next revision they might (and most likely) include the 200M series (probably in 6 months or so).

Sucks :mad:

All these tech advancements are great and all but it just feels that with every single day that passes this MBP grows way older than it should, especially when it comes to the battery life. I've never felt any of my tech purchases aged this fast, this is just ridiculous how my MBP depreciates in value to me.

that's 300 FULL cycles, to drop you to ~80% battery life, fwiw.

edit: and any of the 200M's being in one of the MBPs anytime soon is not likely - expect that in a couple of years, if their product cycle sticks to normal.

that's 300 FULL cycles, to drop you to ~80% battery life, fwiw.

edit: and any of the 200M's being in one of the MBPs anytime soon is not likely - expect that in a couple of years, if their product cycle sticks to normal.

I see. I'm still at 100% but sometimes it changes to 99% but then in the next charge it will go back to 100.

But I sure would love the new battery.

Yeah man, don't sweat the improvements in the latest MBPs. They're a lot more style than substance. I'm not sold on the claims of the perma-battery. If you really want a new one, you could get a great price for your current MBP on eBay or elsewhere. One thing about Macs is that they always have great resale value. ;)

You still have what you had when you purchased it. Your computer didn't get any worse. I really don't see the new graphics cards being used anytime soon by Apple until their next update which will be probably this winter.

You still have what you had when you purchased it. Your computer didn't get any worse. I really don't see the new graphics cards being used anytime soon by Apple until their next update which will be probably this winter.

not even then. It took them forever to get out of the GMA950 era!

I'm not dogging on Apple much, but the timing of all the updates since I got my MBP on 4/23/09 is just terrible.

No offense, but if you bought any Apple product less than 2 months from the date when they announce new Apple products, you were kinda asking for it.

thats why apple keeps a tight lip on what they are gonna anounce on there key note announcements. they dont want you waiting to buy new products before they are announced. ive noticed a fair amount of apple computers on craigslist to since the keynote speech.

No offense, but if you bought any Apple product less than 2 months from the date when they announce new Apple products, you were kinda asking for it.

Yeah, I'm new to the whole Apple scene but I did some research before buying on Macrumors and everything I've seen pointed to no earlier than a September minor CPU speed boost and no more. And I didn't know about WDDC at that time.

Welcome to "Life on the Bleeding Edge," bub. Apple is consistent with this (and so is every other manufacturer to some degree), but I have to agree with the post above. The other thing Apple is very consistent with are the regular refreshes of their hardware to add the biggest and best (except this time out with that SATA fiasco currently in progress), and it's a safe bet to say that in January you'll see yet another refresh of the notebooks as well as the much expected desktop refresh.

In September or potentially sooner we'll see a refresh in the audio devices, with a "new" iPod touch expected, no word yet on what it might have but I'd bet more storage of course (that Flash-RAM order they put in with Samsung early this year wasn't just for the iPhone 3GS shipments...)

It's the price some of us enthusiasts pay... the curse of what I called "Upgraditis" or the never-ending quest for the next bigger faster badder thing. ;)

Welcome to "Life on the Bleeding Edge," bub. Apple is consistent with this (and so is every other manufacturer to some degree), but I have to agree with the post above. The other thing Apple is very consistent with are the regular refreshes of their hardware to add the biggest and best (except this time out with that SATA fiasco currently in progress), and it's a safe bet to say that in January you'll see yet another refresh of the notebooks as well as the much expected desktop refresh.

In September or potentially sooner we'll see a refresh in the audio devices, with a "new" iPod touch expected, no word yet on what it might have but I'd bet more storage of course (that Flash-RAM order they put in with Samsung early this year wasn't just for the iPhone 3GS shipments...)

It's the price some of us enthusiasts pay... the curse of what I called "Upgraditis" or the never-ending quest for the next bigger faster badder thing. ;)

Guess I'm not used to it, you know? With a desktop you can choose what parts to upgrade and whatnot but I see with Apple and I guess laptops in general it's the whole schabang that gets upped

Yeah, I'm new to the whole Apple scene but I did some research before buying on Macrumors and everything I've seen pointed to no earlier than a September minor CPU speed boost and no more. And I didn't know about WDDC at that time.

I post on Macrumors also. I did mention that I thought that Apple would bring the battery to the other aluminum Macbooks, but there are some narrow minded people that post there sometime, they drown out such suggestions. There are also people that are so negative, they basically always say to buy now, almost no matter the situation.

If I were you, I'd contact the apple store, find out if it's really to late to return it.

Personally, I'm waiting for the next get gpu and cpu, then I'm upgrading from my white nVidia macbook to a Macbook Pro 17", which I intend to use for several years.

Wow...74 cycles in less than 2 months? What all do you do with your MBP...do you have to constantly use it for extended periods of time in a place with no power outlet or something?

Guess I'm not used to it, you know? With a desktop you can choose what parts to upgrade and whatnot but I see with Apple and I guess laptops in general it's the whole schabang that gets upped

Yah, I know. Apple is practically infamous for the "Ok, here's the new stuff, in under 12 months it'll be obsolete as far as we're concerned. It'll still work, and it'll still be supported (for a while, at least), but really, we'd prefer you just sell it and buy a brand spankin' shiny new model just off the assembly line because it's better."

They've been doing it with iPods for years (new models are almost completely different, the only thing they share in common is the dock connector most of the time, and iTunes, that's about it). New styles, new shapes, etc... it's just a way to guarantee everytime "For the iPod" is printed on something they're making mad licensing fees... I hesitate to call 'em fees anymore, more like fines, but that's just me. :)

The cost of doing business with Apple I suppose. You pay one way, or you pay another, but you always pay.

I've had my Powerbook G4 for four months and I have over 100 cycles. I spend a lot of time on battery power during the day, and then charge it at night usually. I can easily see how someone could get a lot of cycles on a battery. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. When you hit the 300-400 cycles, if it bothers you that much, then just buy a new battery. At least with your MBP you can. The new ones are not user replaceable. Seriously, don't worry about it, the computer you have is still wonderful. Think of how all the G3/G4 owners feel :)

buyers guide listed a rumor from april for WWDC, and the "time between updates" showed we were over the limit two weeks before WWDC. :(

I would take the older MBP over the new revision. Having an ExpressCard slot is great...

I guess I don't understand why people are so upset. In the next 6-8 months there will be a new revision/model to replace the current ones, and the current people will own "out of date" models. This is a good thing, it means Apple is improving their products.

An older machine isn't obsolete, it's just older. Even if you own a Power PC model and can't upgrade to SL, you can still run it just like you are now. It's only obsolete when it doesn't have the power to run the applications you need to get stuff done.

This isn't any different than PC parts either. I bought a 9600GT for $175 a year ago because the 9800 GT was something stupid like $300. Six months later the 9800GT was $150 and the new GTX 260's were out. My 9600GT plays every game I've thrown at it, so it's not obsolete. Also, in another six months, those $500 GTX290's will be $250, and there will be a new nvidia card out. It's just how computer development goes.

Yea, it's pretty foolish to keep waiting over and over for new stuff. If you want something, buy it.

But, I see what you're saying. It's the same idea of buying something at $1000, and a week later it's $800. Yes, you've agreed to pay $1000, but it still stings a little inside. But other times, you can be waiting and waiting for a product to come out, and something new and better yet will come out. Life in the computer fast lane I guess.

Good thing you're not a PC user, we get new hardware every other month.

Apple is at least always behind, I mean where's the I7 PC's?

Yea, it's pretty foolish to keep waiting over and over for new stuff. If you want something, buy it.

But, I see what you're saying. It's the same idea of buying something at $1000, and a week later it's $800. Yes, you've agreed to pay $1000, but it still stings a little inside. But other times, you can be waiting and waiting for a product to come out, and something new and better yet will come out. Life in the computer fast lane I guess.

What people in the Apple world sometimes don't realize is that there are long update cycles and short cycles. For mobile cpu's the cycle is about the same length as regular cpu's with some delay, this cycle for intel is about two years, the "tick-tock" cycle intel talks about. Mobile gpu's are a bit different, they are updated more often. So the best I can figure is to update when the the cpu generation is updated (it also usually requires a new mobile chipset and that usually comes with a new gpu). It would be akin to buying the rev D macbook pro back in June 2007, the updates since then have been relatively minor speed bumps untill just recently with the battery and case changes.

either you bought a uMP and got screwed with the update, or you bought a 13" MBP and got screwed with the 1.5 SATA, how can any of these people live with themselves as they search the internet and create word documents? HOW?

People need to stop making such a big deal about the SATA thing, it's really a non-issue. The only way you might be affected is if you originally ordered your MBP with a HDD and plan to upgrade it to a SSD soon.

People need to stop making such a big deal about the SATA thing, it's really a non-issue. The only way you might be affected is if you originally ordered your MBP with a HDD and plan to upgrade it to a SSD soon.

That's what I was thinking too, it seems like so many mac owners are such whiny bitches, it's very evident over at macrumors forums.

If the hard drives inside MBPs are factory limited to SATA I speeds, I'd keep quiet. But they're not, they're SATA II drives, capable of bursts well over the 150MB/s cap now in place by this silly limitation.

This is Apple hamstringing the performance for a reason that simply isn't good enough, and then giving people that spend even more money (those that opt to waste money for an SSD by buying it through Apple direct instead of doing themselves) the proper speeds that the hardware is designed to function at.

It's really that simple. While the average Joe (not me, I assure you) may not notice the difference, that's not the point; the point is they're doing something that doesn't make any logical sense and then offering that level of performance for additional cost.

It's just not right, any way you slice it, but Cult members will continue to just abide by whatever Apple thinks is best... sad, truly.

This thread is full of speculation and not going anywhere.

So until Apple comes out with an explanation, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back