I'm planning on buying a Canon SD800 - should I buy something else?

KevySaysBeNice

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all, long story short I'd like to buy an ultra portable, fit-in-your-pocket sort of camera and I am as of now planning on going with the SD800.

2 of my house mates own the camera, and it seems to perform quite well. It's a bit noisy in low light @ higher ISO, however the Image Stabilizer works very well as far as I can tell.

Does anybody have any recommendations for cameras other than th SD800? I feel slightly strange buying the camera just because it's a bit old, but I don't see anything that's really much better that has been released recently?

I would prefer to stick with Canon cameras with SD media, but if there is a "undisputed current best buy" out there I'll definitely consider switching to something else!

Thanks for any advice!

I own the Canon SD800. It has been a great camera and I will hold on to it for the near future. If I were buying today, I would also consider the Canon Powershot TX1.
Review here: http://tinyurl.com/2wpxqt

Thanks guys :)

As for the TX1, actually I'm going to be buying one of those too (long story ;)).

I agree Canon's are great, I've owned 5 of them, starting at the SD200, then SD230, then G5, then a 300D, now a 350D. The SD800 is actually for a present, not for myself :)

I recently wanted to replace my aging SD400 with something newer.

I looked long and hard at the newer Canon Elph cameras, but I finally decided on the Fuji F31fd for it's unparalleled performance with low light/high ISOs.

Nope, it doesn't have image stabilization, but it doesn't really matter since you can get print-quality results at even ISO800. Besides, IS really won't be much use if the subject you are trying to take a picture of is moving.

Only downsides to this camera is that it is quite a bit thicker than the Elphs (still fits in my pocket), and it uses xD memory cards, which currently top out at only 2GB. Battery lasts like 500 shots before recharging though!

EDIT: here's a head-to-head comparison of the F31fd and the SD800IS from Dpreview.com.

I just replaced my SD300 with the new SD850 IS. Excellent camera, have no regrets. Any reason you're looking at the 800 over the 850?

I just replaced my SD300 with the new SD850 IS. Excellent camera, have no regrets. Any reason you're looking at the 800 over the 850?

Well, sort of...

The SD850 has a slightly high pixel count, however it is a 35mm lens as apposed to the ultra-wide 28mm on the SD800. Other than that, they are very similar. I'm getting the camera for a backbacking (europe) trip next year, and also for stuff around home. The girl who will be using the camera takes a lot of candid photos, pictures of her family, etc, etc, and would benifit from the wide angle lens more than the extra reach of the telephoto.

As for the Fuji camera mentioned above (thanks for the recomendation!), I should have said that the media format MUST be SD (or CF I suppose), I'll be swapping/sharing cards with my TX1 (once I buy it) and the ability to switch if needed is important - I'll be bringing a 120 GB portable memory card reader/storage, but just the same if there is some situation that requires it I'd like to be able to swap cards between cameras.

I have been shooting with a 20D for a few years now and I am going off to Ireland in October. Of course I will take my 20D but I don't want to carry it every where. So I purchased the SD800IS last night through Dell. I also picked up a 2GB card for it. I am pretty stoked :)

If you can wait, Fuji F50 is coming out in Sept. It'll take SD cards.

Waiting was not an option I'm afraid :(

Also, I've owned a good number of powershot cameras, I'd like to continue to support Canon :)

Thanks everybody!

I love my Canon SLR, but as far as point and shoots go, I think they can do better.

More pixels != better image quality.

While I love canon(since that is what I shoot), I have been looking at these for my P&S

Fuji F31fd

Fuji F50fd (IS)

The F50fd is coming out in the next few weeks. Read/Google it, and you will see what I mean. I think this is going to be the best P&S for a long time....

While I love canon(since that is what I shoot), I have been looking at these for my P&S

Fuji F31fd

Fuji F50fd (IS)

The F50fd is coming out in the next few weeks. Read/Google it, and you will see what I mean. I think this is going to be the best P&S for a long time....

The F50 looks nice, but I'm wary of that 12MP sensor.
The F30 and F31 were known for their superior noise characteristics, and if they're now trying to cram twice as many pixels in the same size sensor, who knows what it could lead to?

I do like the image stabilization and SD memory card option though.

Back