I'm not going to buy a GPU with a hash limiter

I'm not ignoring it.

1) Ethereum hasn't switched yet.
2) There are still ASIC farms mining bitcoin and those consume a lot of power.

RE: the perceived benefits of crypto, I have yet to see anyone explain why these benefits are inherent to crypto in particular. You could build a "lean, green, low fee, quick transaction currency exchange system" without building an entirely new currency with no tangible backing to do so. Several governments are already working on digital dollars.

The real reason a lot of people seem to back crypto is because they're paranoid about big government and want to extricate their finances from the global financial system which seems like a completely unrealistic goal.
And assuming they aren't breaking the law, exactly why would they want to do that when it's easier to just buy gold. Of course, a gold bar doesn't pay dividends or interest.

And just to show the stupidity of the whole thing. The LHR cards are actually just as profitable as the non-LHR cards because ERG mining is right now just as profitable as ETH mining.

As someone said a few weeks ago (and I can't remember who or in which thread ... ) crypto currencies are just an asset bubble. Look at the recent drop in Bitcoin. No way would keep any in my savings or online bank account. And no way Jose would I put some of my investments or retirement money into crypto. Heck, what's to prevent BTC from dropping to $500. Truly, absolutely nothing.

And where I live the only company that would take Bitcoin was Tesla, and I don't need one of those now or probably in the next 10 years. And Tesla wisely stopping accepting Bitcoin.
Once again, crypto is in its infant/toddler stage, it hasn’t got the financial institution support that the USD has and the USD may have had some instability in its early days, maybe not to the level crypto does now, but once crypto gains traction and becomes a viable alternative to the USD it won’t crash back down to $500/coin. Crypto needs time to get stabilized and exit the volatile stage. I think crypto has a pretty bright future, but it is rough going right now. I also think the younger generation will pick it up as a James Dean smoking a cigarette cool that has that rebelling against your parents cool factor to it. If you can’t stomach the volatility then your best bet is to stay away for now until it gains stability.

Once again, crypto is in its infant/toddler stage, it hasn’t got the financial institution support that the USD has and the USD may have had some instability in its early days, maybe not to the level crypto does now, but once crypto gains traction and becomes a viable alternative to the USD it won’t crash back down to $500/coin. Crypto needs time to get stabilized and exit the volatile stage. I think crypto has a pretty bright future, but it is rough going right now. I also think the younger generation will pick it up as a James Dean smoking a cigarette cool that has that rebelling against your parents cool factor to it. If you can’t stomach the volatility then your best bet is to stay away for now until it gains stability.
It's your money. Me, I would rather pay a scalper's price for a 3070 than put money into Bitcoin (or any of the others).

USD isnt great either.
It seems to depreciates daily. It might mot go up and down with wild swings, but not appreciating

If you could get them for MSRP (fat chance) I certainly would.
The best way to describe me feeling about it...If I was truck shopping for a 2WD variety anf the 4WD was the same price...Why pay the same for a limited product?
Cut hash rate and redude MSRP by 5% or 10% IMO

MSRP would be nice, but MSRP is still $$$ these days and the only reason I deided to start mining in the first place

The best way to describe me feeling about it...If I was truck shopping for a 2WD variety anf the 4WD was the same price...Why pay the same for a limited product?
Cut hash rate and redude MSRP by 5% or 10% IMO

MSRP would be nice, but MSRP is still $$$ these days and the only reason I deided to start mining in the first place

If they cut the hash rate, they cut the resale value. The only mitigating factor would be a longer warranty on the LHR, assuming it could be transferred to the next owner.

ETH going proof of stake in a couple years and becoming less profitable probably in a couple months with the EIP whatever... so nerfed ETH mining is irrelevant. You can still mine ERGO and be very profitable with these LHR cards or any other coin that pops up.. hopefully "gamers" didn't actually believe Nvidia was trying to help gamers and not themselves lol

lolNVDA.PNG

ETH going proof of stake in a couple years and becoming less profitable probably in a couple months with the EIP whatever... so nerfed ETH mining is irrelevant. You can still mine ERGO and be very profitable with these LHR cards or any other coin that pops up.. hopefully "gamers" didn't actually believe Nvidia was trying to help gamers and not themselves lol

View attachment 360626
I was looking at ERGO yesterday.
A few quesionss, is ERGO stable enough for me to replace ETH?
3060 non TI wasnt on that list, does that mean it wont work or isnt profitable with ERGO?

I was looking at ERGO yesterday.
A few quesionss, is ERGO stable enough for me to replace ETH?
3060 non TI wasnt on that list, does that mean it wont work or isnt profitable with ERGO?

It means it isn't in the top 15 most profitable cards...which makes sense as the 3060Ti rounds out the top 15.

This is naive.

The USD is backed by the entire government and economy of the United States, and is the pre-eminent currency globally for trade. "Crypto" as it is now will never replace the US dollar, as bitcoin has absolutely nothing to back it that it makes it inherently valuable. More than likely we will just move to a digital dollar that provides the same functionality.

This is naive.

The USD is backed by the entire government and economy of the United States, and is the pre-eminent currency globally for trade. "Crypto" as it is now will never replace the US dollar, as bitcoin has absolutely nothing to back it that it makes it inherently valuable. More than likely we will just move to a digital dollar that provides the same functionality.
The US Gove has nothing to back it either does it?
Used to be gold, but now we have the Federal reserve and who really owns it? Not the US GOVt right?
I don't know the truth of the ownership, weather its stock is traded publicly or the Rothschilds own it etc... but US being trillions in debt doesn't make me feel like the US dollar is secure.
https://www.usdebtclock.org/

makes neo sense to use the same HS since the FE 3080 already runs warm/hot compared to the AIBs
So the original rumors claimed the 3080 Ti was 320W TDP, same as the 3080.
The new leaked specs show it 350W. So yeah this FE is going to be a nightmare.

So the original rumors claimed the 3080 Ti was 320W TDP, same as the 3080.
The new leaked specs show it 350W. So yeah this FE is going to be a nightmare.
Only if you can actually get your hands on one. Otherwise, more grist for the discussion mill in this forum.

Reading a lot of older posts, I'm beginning to really despise the crypto crowd guys. And the scalpers. I guess even the pond scum needs to make a living.

The whole 'hash-gimping' thing is a 'cop' out.
If Nvidia wanted to...or cared about actual gamers getting their hands on these things, they could have implemented any number of ways to do so.
Limiting sales by payment address, restricting registration of multiple cards, publicizing the fact that you'd need a valid receipt with your name and address to register, etc...
Sure!...there'd always have been some sales that'd slip through... and yes, even miners and scalpers would have gotten a few.
The sheer numbers would have been much lower though.
Neither Nvidia nor AMD cares who gets these cards as long as they get paid for them.

The whole 'hash-gimping' thing is a 'cop' out.
If Nvidia wanted to...or cared about actual gamers getting their hands on these things, they could have implemented any number of ways to do so.
Limiting sales by payment address, restricting registration of multiple cards, publicizing the fact that you'd need a valid receipt with your name and address to register, etc...
Sure!...there'd always have been some sales that'd slip through... and yes, even miners and scalpers would have gotten a few.
The sheer numbers would have been much lower though.
Neither Nvidia nor AMD cares who gets these cards as long as they get paid for them.
You could probably argue that the crypto mining craze has been unusually profitable for Nvidia, probably less so for AMD. I don't think their shareholders give a rat's tail for gamers or even the non-gamers who buy GPUs, as long as the stock price stays strong.

The US Gove has nothing to back it either does it?
Used to be gold, but now we have the Federal reserve and who really owns it? Not the US GOVt right?
I don't know the truth of the ownership, weather its stock is traded publicly or the Rothschilds own it etc... but US being trillions in debt doesn't make me feel like the US dollar is secure.
https://www.usdebtclock.org/
Actually we owe most of that debt to ourselves

The public holds over $21 trillion, or almost 78%, of the national debt. 1 Foreign governments hold about a third of the public debt, while the rest is owned by U.S. banks and investors, the Federal Reserve, state and local governments, mutual funds, pensions funds, insurance companies, and savings bonds.

You could probably argue that the crypto mining craze has been unusually profitable for Nvidia, probably less so for AMD. I don't think their shareholders give a rat's tail for gamers or even the non-gamers who buy GPUs, as long as the stock price stays strong.
No argument on that assessment.
AMD did however, make a 'bone-headed' move in not going the extra mile to get these GPUs into the hands of gamers.
Nvidia is well established in this graphics card arena.
Most gamers already know of Nvidia's capability.
AMD on the other hand, needed maximum exposure to be able to build fan and brand loyalty.
IMHO...they failed miserably at this, despite having a great GPU this time out.
They tried the exact same sales strategy Nvidia engages in, without looking at Nvidia's core group of buyers.
Shortages of stock did not help them either.

In case anyone is curious you can go here and scroll down to see the profits:

https://whattomine.com/

Nvidia should've just applied a full 50% mining nerf. Maybe that would've been too complex a solution and it made sense to just target ETH.

View attachment 360626
6800 = 6800XT better then 6900XT?

No argument on that assessment.
AMD did however, make a 'bone-headed' move in not going the extra mile to get these GPUs into the hands of gamers.
Nvidia is well established in this graphics card arena.
Most gamers already know of Nvidia's capability.
AMD on the other hand, needed maximum exposure to be able to build fan and brand loyalty.
IMHO...they failed miserably at this, despite having a great GPU this time out.
They tried the exact same sales strategy Nvidia engages in, without looking at Nvidia's core group of buyers.
Shortages of stock did not help them either.
AMD is maxed out on production. Slower mining cards at max production. What do you want from them?

AMD is maxed out on production. Slower mining cards at max production. What do you want from them?
They should have gone the extra mile and put measures in play to reduce scalper behavior.
That is a part of the overall shortages and price gouging...though not all obviously.
It doesn't matter if AMD is at maximum capacity if potential customers can't get the products because they're sitting in somebody's home waiting to be posted on eBay at 4x the MSRP.
There should have been a register to purchase or limit by household or I.P put in place to curtail the behavior and get the GPUs into more gamer's hands.
That is called maximum exposure.
They made the best GPU in years and the pricing is now way more expensive than competing Nvidia cards due to partially avoidable scalper-driven behavior.
Who gains from that....certainly not AMD in the long-term.
Product exposure is key when you are trying to usurp the competition.
Nvidia is so established as the graphics leader and does so much volume...that even if scalpers get hold of multiples of their cards, the impact is minimal from an exposure standpoint.

Last edited:
Repeat after me: only companies that can stop scalping tomorrow are Amazon and Ebay, yes it will go to smaller sites like stockx but the fall in volume will be dramatic.
Nvidia and AMD don't even have their storefronts (one uses BB and the other digital river..), they could open up small physical stores in key areas and sell one card per address there. .kinda like MS or Apple stores

Repeat after me: only companies that can stop scalping tomorrow are Amazon and Ebay, yes it will go to smaller sites like stockx but the fall in volume will be dramatic.
Nvidia and AMD don't even have their storefronts (one uses BB and the other digital river..), they could open up small physical stores in key areas and sell one card per address there. .kinda like MS or Apple stores
If you can't buy multiples...you have nothing to list for the sake of scalping. It doesn't matter the site or eStore.

Easily defeated by having multiple accounts.
You can have multiple accounts, heck!...you can have multiple addresses but you can only have so many credit cards.
With a limit of one per address or one per card, many folks would have been dissuaded from even trying.
Would some try and end up with a few cards? ...Sure!
Would they end up with tens of cards? ....I highly doubt it.

You can have multiple accounts, heck!...you can have multiple addresses but you can only have so many credit cards.
With a limit of one per address or one per card, many folks would have been dissuaded from even trying.
Would some try and end up with a few cards? ...Sure!
Would they end up with tens of cards? ....I highly doubt it.
I think I am authorized up to 10 to 15 accounts at my Bank, what a PIA that would be. Each would have there own debit/credit card. So limited somewhat for a single source but combine multiple sources for getting cards, much more doable if one wants to keep track of multiple accounts. I know I wouldn't bother.

I think I am authorized up to 10 to 15 accounts at my Bank, what a PIA that would be. Each would have there own debit/credit card. So limited somewhat for a single source but combine multiple sources for getting cards, much more doable if one wants to keep track of multiple accounts. I know I wouldn't bother.
But you're not a professional crook.

Back