I'm not even mad ... that's amazing

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
Well it works ... so I guess that is all that matters, but I did want to share pictures of the EVGA packing job for the replacement for my RMA'd 2080 ti.

vidcard1.jpg
vidcard2.jpg

Inside the box the video card was in an anti-static sleeve inside a thin bubble wrap sleeve. There is no visible damage aside from some bent radiator fins, and a very slight bend in the rear bracket.

The amazing part is that the card travelled from Anaheim, California to Ontario, Canada like this and survived, at least for now anyway.

I do find this packing job curious as the EVGA RMA packaging instructions clearly state there needs to be 2" of padding around all sides of the video card, as well as the two ends. It states that if video cards are not packaged properly your RMA will be denied.

Was there foam inside the EVGA black box that holds the GPU? From my experience, there is typically 1.5-2" of foam around the perimeter of the GPU, and less than 1/4" separating the front/back from the manufacturer packaging.

But yes, I agree the lack of padding is pretty risky.

1613661842765.png

I do find this packing job curious as the EVGA RMA packaging instructions clearly state there needs to be 2" of padding around all sides of the video card, as well as the two ends. It states that if video cards are not packaged properly your RMA will be denied.
thats for a loose card, no oem box.
last gpu that was delivered here was loose in the amazon box with a psu, no extra padding. they work fine.

I didn't take a picture out of sheer excitement but in retrospect, I should have been livid with how Best Buy shipped my 3090 FE. Just free floating in a box about 2 times too big, zero packing material. Thankfully UPS was merciful to it and there was nothing wrong.

I didn't take a picture out of sheer excitement but in retrospect, I should have been livid with how Best Buy shipped my 3090 FE. Just free floating in a box about 2 times too big, zero packing material. Thankfully UPS was merciful to it and there was nothing wrong.
Was the same story with my 3090. Shockingly the GPU’s packaging was in pristine condition despite being able to be tossed around in the delivery box. Probably because I opt’d for next day delivery so it didn’t go through as many hands to get tossed around.

Was the same story with my 3090. Shockingly the GPU’s packaging was in pristine condition despite being able to be tossed around in the delivery box. Probably because I opt’d for next day delivery so it didn’t go through as many hands to get tossed around.
Yeah, I was shocked.

They shipped my 3080 pretty well. Its box bubble wrapped inside another box. Crossed the continent just fine.

Was there foam inside the EVGA black box that holds the GPU? From my experience, there is typically 1.5-2" of foam around the perimeter of the GPU, and less than 1/4" separating the front/back from the manufacturer packaging.

But yes, I agree the lack of padding is pretty risky.
Nope, there was no foam inside the video card box. The video card was inside an anti-static sleeve, which was inside a thin bubble wrap sleeve. The card was free to bounce around inside the video card box and the video card box was free to bounce around inside the shipping box.

Better than Amazon in my area lately. We are now getting PSUs, Mobos, GPUs, etc. with nothing but a packing slip slapped to the side of the retail box.

Nope, there was no foam inside the video card box. The video card was inside an anti-static sleeve, which was inside a thin bubble wrap sleeve. The card was free to bounce around inside the video card box and the video card box was free to bounce around inside the shipping box.
Wait, EVGA isn't doing molded foam or plastic clamshells this gen?

I know they're getting pinched by Nvidia and the tariffs, but come on.

When was the last time they did the clamshell? Not on my RTX 2060 or 2060 super.

I just got a 3080 back from rma and I didn't even get bubble wrap. The packaging for perfectly in the shipping box. No space between them. The gpu packaging was pristine tho.

Last edited:

My EVGA 3070 that I got last week was plastic clamshell packaging. Styrofoam packaging has been banned in a lot of states so you are going to start seeing more of this in the future.

My retail EVGA X3 3080 video card from adorama.com was shipped in a plastic clamshell inside the EVGA box, so they haven’t done away with plastic clamshells for Ampere.

My EVGA 3070 that I got last week was plastic clamshell packaging. Styrofoam packaging has been banned in a lot of states so you are going to start seeing more of this in the future.
Which is hilarious because I know that recycling services in my area will not take clamshells.

About 2 years ago I bought an EVGA GTX 970 on ebay. Someone literally wrapped it in a plastic envelope without padding and slapped a label on it.

Typically the retail boxes for GPUs have really good padding in them. I would not really be worried about them. I recently ordered a laptop from amazon and it was similar, just some minor packing material over the retail box contained in a larger box. It could move around some, but not enough to damage it unless the shipping company really tossed it around.

Better than Amazon in my area lately. We are now getting PSUs, Mobos, GPUs, etc. with nothing but a packing slip slapped to the side of the retail box.
Seeing this as well. Complained then suddenly my next purchase was in a really nicely packaged Amazon box. Crazy to think they'd slap a UPS/FedEx label on the retail package but they are.

Edit: pic's tell everything - yeah, no, I don't think I want a pricey fan with sensitive bearings to have shipped this way:

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 0
Thought clamshell packaging was that clear stuff that they heat weld together and you need a boxcutter or scisors to open. Y'all talking about that or the black/grey plastic stuff that a product sits in like a tray?

Anyway, it's possible, if it's the dark stuff, that it's not plastic. Could be that hemp derived stuff, or something else.

It always amazes me how shitty the packing jobs are on packages. I used to work at a UPS store and packed peoples packages day in and day out, I always made sure they were packed well.

....Actually it doesn't people just don't care. That or theyre packed by a robot.

I am the exception apparently.

EVGA has never used styrofoam to my knowledge. It's a black open cell foam similar to what Dell is shipping servers in these days.

Thought clamshell packaging was that clear stuff that they heat weld together and you need a boxcutter or scisors to open.

it's similar, clear plastic molded to keep the graphics card from moving around.

Checked the closet... Black foam on my GTX 280 and GTX 1660 ti, clamshells on my GTX 670 and 1080.

Sad that high sensitivity electronics get shipped this way while ppcs shipped me some wcing fittings in a box crammed to the gills full of packing peanuts. At least some places still care about quality despite what may be inside.

I think the last card I had that shipped in a clamshell in the box was the BFG Tech 7800 GS. EVGA cards I've had have all shipped in black foam (GTX 570 2.5GB, GTX 780, GTX Titan X). My Titan X and RTX 2080 Ti were FE from NVIDIA and the come in that fancy molded box that is practically indestructible.

Back