I'm new to smartphones... Need suggestions on apps.

So, long story short, I own a Motorola Photon 4G, running Android 2.3.4. It's my fist smart phone, and I'm having an awesome time with it.

My question is what apps to you all suggest? Any apps you could not live without and why? Are there any apps worth paying for, or are there good free versions of just about anything I should want/need to do?

So far, the two most useful apps I have installed are Dolphin Browser HD, and Handcent SMS. (oh, and I have been having fun playing Fruit Ninja as well :D)

Any other suggestions??

Search for 'best android apps' there are about a hundred lists :) And almost everything in Android market is free or has a free version.

Search for 'best android apps' there are about a hundred lists :) And almost everything in Android market is free or has a free version.
I have done this, and I have found numerous lists and reviews of apps. It's not that there is a shortage or anything.. I just want to know what my fellow [H]'ers utilize...

If you plan on flashing custom ROMs, I'd say titanium backup is a must. Also I've found that Juice Defender does an excellent job of increasing my battery life.

OperaMobile, AndChat, Tapatalk, RealCalc, QuickOfficePro (got free on a sale), Photoshop Mobile, Aldiko, Pano, Amazon App Store occasionally has some good stuff free, gReader, PrinterShare, TrackChecker, WeatherBug Elite, Titanium Backup...

Most of those are free. Those that aren't I find worthwhile for the coin quite often. PrinterShare is great if you have a compatible wireless printer and want to print docs/emails anything from your phone.

If you plan on flashing custom ROMs, I'd say titanium backup is a must. Also I've found that Juice Defender does an excellent job of increasing my battery life.
I've heard a lot about titanium backup... Not too sure if I'm ready to "void my warranty" yet...

I have seen lots of apps, such as Juice Defender, to increase battery life.. How exactly does this work? scheduling turning off wi-fi and other services? I'm assuming that the basic concept is that the app just turns things off when they are not really needed... Is is correct? Wouldn't I loose some functionality here and there?, or do I really not understand how these battery saving apps function?

I've heard a lot about titanium backup... Not too sure if I'm ready to "void my warranty" yet...

I have seen lots of apps, such as Juice Defender, to increase battery life.. How exactly does this work? scheduling turning off wi-fi and other services? I'm assuming that the basic concept is that the app just turns things off when they are not really needed... Is is correct? Wouldn't I loose some functionality here and there?, or do I really not understand how these battery saving apps function?

All the battery saving apps do is kill features. Excuse me they "turn them off".

Things like background data polling for weather, email, RSS, etc when the app isn't open or the screen is turned off. Turn the screen backlight as low as possible. Turn off Wifi and or 4G except when in use. No moving wallpapers as they are a battery hog too.

For the most part they're simple/stupid "duh" measures to squeeze more battery life...but turning off background data really lowers utility IMHO. OTOH, I'm always near free Wifi nets, and I have a 2600mAh battery so even with all the battery wasters (except 4G, as there is no service out here) turned on and polling every 1hr I can go a full day on one battery with constant use. Constant meaning not putting the damn thing down and surfing. I like being able to power on to my lock screen and always have up to date email and weather info.

Switch your phone to airplane mode when you don't need it and you'll get better results than juice defender. :rolleyes:

Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Audible, IMDb, Navigon, Pandora, Zillow, USP Mobile, PowerAMP, Mr. Number, Speed Test, Wifi Analyzer (I think you have to get this from the Amazon store), Photobucket, Dropbox, Sugarsync, Merriam Webster, Google Earth, Scientific Calculator 2.0, Camscanner, Engadget, Tivo, Netflix, Fruit Ninja, ....

There's more I could list...but....

Androidpolice.com regularly have app roundups, I discover most of my apps from those articles because they have very nice descriptions for each. You might want to check the previous versions out for apps you didn't know you needed :cool:

I own a Motorola Photon 4G

PHONE BUDDIES!!! :cool:

motorola-photon-4g.jpg

I use Go Launcher so that I can increase my screen icon count to have six rows and five columns. I have a few media players installed but the one I use the most is MX Video player (gotta love that Tegra 2 chip). I also happen to think that Camera Zoom FX is a better camera app than the default one.

Switch your phone to airplane mode when you don't need it and you'll get better results than juice defender. :rolleyes:

This is true I'm sure, but also juice defender does everything automatically so I don't have to manually keep switching back and forth between airplane mode and normal mode. This means I don't have to keep accessing the menu and I still get all of my calls/texts/email updates without having to worry about the radios being off. Juice defender gives me on average ~2x the battery life I would normally get and I don't have to worry about missing anything important. Lol, sounds like a plug for juice defender, but it really does help me a lot. My E4GT used to barely make it through the day on a charge, now it does with no problem.

ninja edit: Basically, the battery saving apps are unnecessary, but they add a lot for you in terms of convenience in saving battery. I didn't want to buy an extended battery because it makes the phone bulky and not fit in cases, so this was a good solution for me.

PHONE BUDDIES!!! :cool:

motorola-photon-4g.jpg

I use Go Launcher so that I can increase my screen icon count to have six rows and five columns. I have a few media players installed but the one I use the most is MX Video player (gotta love that Tegra 2 chip). I also happen to think that Camera Zoom FX is a better camera app than the default one.
Damn, you are STILL using picture that everywhere? I don't look at names and still knew it was you just from seeing the wallpaper.

Back