I'm looking for the best monitor for anime and movies. Over 1000 dollars.

I personally value color vibrancy and text sharpness above all else;

Crossover 27Sakwa
+The most vibrant colors
+The cleanest, most crisp text outside of higher PPI monitors
+Delay-free
+Free of overshoot ghosting
+Price
-Can only be purchased from a Korean seller (they're generally fine, however.)
-Blacks will look grey
-Tend to suffer from more IPS glow

Nikyo, great post. I too "value color vibrancy and text sharpness above all else". Text clarity is all important. What does enlarged black text on a white background (as in MS Word) look like on a PDC screen?

Also, do you think there is any advantage/disadvantage in getting a 27Sakwa as opposed to the 27QW? Are they effectively the same or has there been some upgrade & is there a certification difference?

Finally, is it easy to remove the silver strip on the bottom bezel? ... and what exactly is underneath it? Is the strip just lightly glued on? To me, it's the one thing that diminishes an otherwise attractive monitor.

Well yes, because a CRT doesn't suffer from the sample-and-hold effect. This, however, does not really matter for anime. You're expected when viewing sakuga to focus on one object on the screen; eliminating the sample-and-hold effect will make no difference. I even tested this on my own TV with a strobing backlight. None of the sakuga clips I viewed showed even a minuscule amount of difference. The only that that really changed was panning scenes, which typically consisted of just background shots moving along the screen. Those showed significant change, but to go out and purchase a CRT or monitor with a strobing backlight for that specific purchase is silly. The idea behind madVR smooth playback is to eliminate judder from 23.976 (24p) on 60hz displays, and helps this to a degree.

Of course, not like madVR is my specialty, either. This would likely be a conversation better served for Doom9.

No, it is not just on static panning, it is panning in general on many scenes and it is very frequent be it anime, cartoon or movie. And it SUCK ASS on CLD no matter what magical setting you propose. I'm not talking about usual stuttering.

I have a CRT right before me, as a second monitor because I'm still doing some test with curret lcd and I still can't get over with how shitty LCDs are in this aspect.

If you really are movie fan - I say f*ck shitty LCDs, get a TV or decent LCd that can match CRT in mentioned specific aspects. Otherwise you will be sorry.

The eizo cs270 has just been released, it does have uniformity correction processing and hardware lut just like cx271 but lacks the polarizing filter.

What do you think about it? I'm currently considering buying this thing..either it or cs230..

What kind of work are you doing, and do you need a wide-gamut monitor? I have to ask...more to the extent that there's many forum users who don't know the difference.

Nikyo, great post. I too "value color vibrancy and text sharpness above all else". Text clarity is all important. What does enlarged black text on a white background (as in MS Word) look like on a PDC screen?

Also, do you think there is any advantage/disadvantage in getting a 27Sakwa as opposed to the 27QW? Are they effectively the same or has there been some upgrade & is there a certification difference?

Finally, is it easy to remove the silver strip on the bottom bezel? ... and what exactly is underneath it? Is the strip just lightly glued on? To me, it's the one thing that diminishes an otherwise attractive monitor.

If you've happened to have seen a 1440p Imac, they actually use the same screen. I don't actually own one, but I recommended one to a friend a few months ago. Taking a look at it, it's pretty impressive; color just pops, and text on white backgrounds looks great because there's no matte grain on the whites. Everything is just really clear. It's also less reflective than a glossy display, despite using glass, thanks to the coating.

There's no disadvantage to the Sakwa, it's definitely cheaper, and they're 100% the same.

You can actually remove the silver part. In fact, here's a guy that removed it and painted it matte black - looks sleek.

No, it is not just on static panning, it is panning in general on many scenes and it is very frequent be it anime, cartoon or movie. And it SUCK ASS on CLD no matter what magical setting you propose. I'm not talking about usual stuttering.

I have a CRT right before me, as a second monitor because I'm still doing some test with curret lcd and I still can't get over with how shitty LCDs are in this aspect.

If you really are movie fan - I say f*ck shitty LCDs, get a TV or decent LCd that can match CRT in mentioned specific aspects. Otherwise you will be sorry.

Yes, I understand you are talking about the sample-and-hold effect. No, this does not affect everything. As I said, in many scenes, you're expected to fixate on one thing at a time. Hence why I don't have problems viewing any form of sakuga. If you think LCDs are terrible that's fine - I'm not going to argue the point. As I've said, panning scenes are pretty awful and made worse by 24p judder (3:2 pulldown).

If you've happened to have seen a 1440p Imac, they actually use the same screen. I don't actually own one, but I recommended one to a friend a few months ago. Taking a look at it, it's pretty impressive; color just pops, and text on white backgrounds looks great because there's no matte grain on the whites. Everything is just really clear. It's also less reflective than a glossy display, despite using glass, thanks to the coating.

There's no disadvantage to the Sakwa, it's definitely cheaper, and they're 100% the same.

You can actually remove the silver part. In fact, here's a guy that removed it and painted it matte black - looks sleek.
Sounds good. In promo videos for the 27QW and the Shimian QH2700-IPSMS & Yamakasi DS270 they often use the word "glossy" to describe the AH-IPS screen even with the PDC coating.

In terms of screen, is the screen on the 27QW/27Saqwa the same as the screen on the 2735AMG because some listings of the 2735AMG have it as an H-IPS screen while others as AH-IPS. On Cross's own site they have it as "AH-IPS QHD" for the 2735AMG and "AH-IPS FHD" for the 27QW. Is that just an error and they're actually the same?

I had seen that youtube clip where he mentions the strip at the end but doesn't show the removal process. Seeing that clip is actually what made me ask the original question to see if anyone's done it and can describe whether it just pops off or whether it involves some modding skills.

do you need a wide-gamut monitor?

No, but I need one that can actually be calibrated, so I won't need to run all my games in windowed mode. The uniformity correction and better quality control will help too.

And as far as I know you can emulate other color spaces on hardware level with all eizo color edge displays using colornavigator software, not just those with 3d lut (cg series).

Last edited:
if you can buy an IPS with ATW polariser, do it, otherwise buy a good VA panel only for those awesome blacks which are essential for watching movies.

I disagree. Seen the 1440p macs along with the U2711, the text is a little clearer with the glass but the reflections on even the most moderately lit room, killed it for me. Once noticing it, was hard to not see the damn reflections in the darker areas.
Noticed similar text clarity on the first LED backlit 1440p IPS screens too (think it was an ASUS?) while ago now, did a side by side with U2711 for a few days, but the colour was crap as they seemed to only use a nasty cool white spectrum, with exceptionally poor red rendering out of the box.

U2711 can be used with curtains open directly behind me, at ~25% brightness. If you don't like the gloss, it can be removed with a few days downtime and paper towel soaking.. however, after using the panel for nearly four years, I'm glad I didn't do that. Best for all round usage and productivity, at any time, plus 10bit card + screen FTW. 8 bit is for console peasants.
And yes, anime looks just gorgeous.

edit: In all seriousness, 10bit is worth the effort if you want awesome colour. For reference, my other colour standard is the holy grail of man made, electronic colour reproduction; ultra high end, touring grade laser show projectors, with even more gamut again than most of even the unobtanium screens. Some can practically fill a CIE diagram..

Last edited:
I disagree. Seen the 1440p macs along with the U2711, the text is a little clearer with the glass but the reflections on even the most moderately lit room, killed it for me. Once noticing it, was hard to not see the damn reflections in the darker areas.
Best for all round usage and productivity, at any time, plus 10bit card + screen FTW. 8 bit is for console peasants.
edit: In all seriousness, 10bit is worth the effort if you want awesome colour.
Which Monitor(s) are you referring to?

Nikyo, Apart from the LG you recommenede me (which I'll buy once the summer ends) I need a laptop/imac for the same purposes (this is the one I'll use when I travel and I'd buy it as soon as possible cause I'm gonna do so). Could you recomemnd me a good laptop/imac?
I want it to be 27 " and have the best possible screen for anime/movies and mild gaming. Please help me out again!!!
Budget: 1.5 - 2k dollars. (if it's closer to 1.5 k than to 2k even better as long as there is no much difference in quality).
I watch anime/movies in 1080p btw (I download them and watch them).
Also, WHat's better for me in terms of resolution for this use, 2k, 4k or 5k?

Last edited:
Well, I can't make a decision, I guess I'm too ocd about monitors and picture quality, it's just debilitating. I can't use my crappy tn laptop any longer either, it's horrible.

Maybe I really don't need those wide gamut profession displays.

I've narrowed it down to CS230, U2715H and the 27" LG that's been recommended here. The LG I'll have to import from usa, while u2715h sold here in Russia for a reasonable price and cs230 is available on computeruniverse for 440 euros.

I will also buy an i1 along with monitor.

What do?

the lg was recommended to be by Nickyo and CNX, but I can get it from amazon for 600 bucks (tax included). How much would you have to pay?
Also, what do you want this monitor for?

Last edited:
Which Monitor(s) are you referring to?

Sorry for not being specific. Was rather tired, it was actually a PLS.Wrote a review in 2011 but never posted it. Here it is;
edit: The mac is two identical 27" imacs of 2011 vintage.

H-IPS VS S-PLS, 27" of love

I have two lovely ladies; U2711 (3rd panel lottery) and S27A850D, side by side for a night. Unfortunately no colourimeter on hand.

GPU: Asus 6970 DC2, both via DP, stock gamma, asus colour software turned off.

Note: Have video of these tests from a Sony HDR-SR12E somewhere, using RGBtest?, which can be also posted if you really want to see what they're like next to each other. It shows differences pretty well. When I did this test (2011) no one had done this yet, as the A850 was brand new.

Initial impressions, factory and tweaked out of box settings are:

AG coatings:
A850: perfect (IMO) but not as good in high light environment. Can't really see grain. Displays polarisation banding from strong point source.
U2711: Can be a pain if you are looking for it or not used to it. Grainy - affects white. Excellent bright environment performance though - good daytime work monitor. Does not show polarisation banding from a strong point source.

White:
A850: White is white.. it's amazing. Clean and crisp! Colour temperatures are more adjustable. Cheers LEDs.
U2711: White is sort of 'dirty' but reasonably accurate. AG mostly to blame. This U2711 is slightly cooler than my previous ones.

Black:
A850: Patchier backlight, goes yellow on some angles. Some people have better luck with panel lottery. For a pricey screen it should be better.
Infact, I'll say it: it's horrific on this panel.

U2711: Very low backlight bleed (if you're lucky) and good black levels, much better than my first U2711 although not perfect. Definitely far superior to A850. Samsung galaxyS2 mobile with oled has a terrific black in comparison however.

Green:
A850: Some shades of green are a touch better than U2711, however standard green appears washed out, slightly yellow. Can't seem to adjust it out.

U2711: That said, pure green (eg test reference green) is better on the dell. Much closer to a CRT.

Blue:
A850: Deeper blues than the u2711, appears to go below 450nm. This also shows they use mostly cool White leds in construction.

Red:
A850: This sample doesn't do deep red. No matter what settings, warm/normal/RGB channel tweaking hardware or software. It is like it hits a wall. pretty much once I get past MSpaint standard red (as reference) it stops going deeper. This was a problem on some 32" samsung TVs a while back too. Really is going to be the dealbreaker for me I think. Anyone else notice this or have any suggestions to attempt to fix it? I have both monitor profiles installed on the system, I assume they are display specific?
If this is a widespread issue, Samsung needs to add some much warmer leds into the edge lit arrays, to reproduce this deep red better, 650-660nm+ is what is lacking. They are mostly using neutral and cool leds by the looks of things (and other peoples measurements).

U2711: reds are rich and deep, they pop. When U2711 shows deep red the A850 looks almost orange.

Yellow:
A850 stonks the U2711, yellow pops!

Cyan:
A850 barely displays it properly, looks more sky blue with some green. Tried tutuing, couldn't get it to come out.
U2711 pops the cyan very well default and even better with adjustment.

Magenta:
A850 is close but that lack of deep red to blend doesn't help it, more pink than magenta.
U2711 isn't perfect either, overall slightly richer colour, closer to true magenta but slightly more reddish than the A850. U27 wins this round though.

Grays:
U2711 has got the upper hand, smoother gradient. Most reviews show it having more contrast which could be the kicker here. Less banding/artifacting in grey shading.

Text:
A850 is clearer because of less AG.
U27 not bad once used to AG. If you sit really close I'd consider the A850 because of this.

Lag:
Very similar in crysis2 and window movement. A850 seemed slightly more responsive in visualisations. Overall though, can't really see a difference.

Artifacting:
On shades, colour banding is visible on both screens however especially bad on the A850. It has a smaller gamut than the dell so this could be to blame.
A850 on faster and fastest mode create very bad artifacting in blurred parts of video or movement (e.g. concealed suspects' face) and trailing.

Construction:
A850 is that supermodel you can't see when she turns side on. Adjustments feel like you are going to break it. Hard to set 'level' if you rotate the screen.
Bezel is thicker on the bottom due to OSD buttons and sensors, so eyefinity portrait is pretty much out of the question. Looks great in portrait though and helps with text/pdf/web browsing. Due to rotate adjusts very high.

U2711 is that curvy, thick farm chick that could carry a sheep and some strainer posts up a hill. No rotate but solid and dependable. Could adjust higher.

Other random issues:
U2711 tears bad with another screen connected via DP, vsync on or off. Minimal tearing on A850 observed but not as bad as dell. Doesn't matter which cable/port is used it's still persistent until only one monitor is used.

So at this point in time, I can't recommend either - they both have their pitfalls. You decide what would impact you the worst.
A850 is a better internet/text/daily use monitor but that red is unforgivable. Excellent blue and yellow thanks to LEDs.
Dell generally a better picture but not as good at deep blue, yellow isn't as good and white could be better, due to AG/colour temp, that said I believe overall, the u2711 provides a better media experience with clearer picture and gradient.
Not tested in the same night, however the ACD was too glossy (for me) but a good compromise on the AG/white issues, if you edit in a darkroom and have a screen tan.

Overall I think IPS still has the crown, PLS definitely shows promise, that said it is a step sideways, not forwards. I don't think the A850 is worth the extra $ ontop of the U2711.If it had more accurate colour, definitely. This said, PLS may be the technology to beat in revision 2. We'll see.

Last edited:
Sounds good. In promo videos for the 27QW and the Shimian QH2700-IPSMS & Yamakasi DS270 they often use the word "glossy" to describe the AH-IPS screen even with the PDC coating.

In terms of screen, is the screen on the 27QW/27Saqwa the same as the screen on the 2735AMG because some listings of the 2735AMG have it as an H-IPS screen while others as AH-IPS. On Cross's own site they have it as "AH-IPS QHD" for the 2735AMG and "AH-IPS FHD" for the 27QW. Is that just an error and they're actually the same?

I had seen that youtube clip where he mentions the strip at the end but doesn't show the removal process. Seeing that clip is actually what made me ask the original question to see if anyone's done it and can describe whether it just pops off or whether it involves some modding skills.

Not sure if the 2735AMG uses the same screen but they are the same type. The 27QW, however, has lower input lag, and better build quality according to =dead=.
I imagine the H-IPS part is just an error, these Korean listings for ebay are often times inaccurate and inconsistent. I actually don't see where it says AH-IPS FHD on the 27QW listing, looks to be say QHD to me; FHD would most certainly be an error, because that's 1080p. Describing the product as glossy is accurate, and an easier localization than Koreans with poor English trying to explain PDC

Noticed similar text clarity on the first LED backlit 1440p IPS screens too (think it was an ASUS?) while ago now, did a side by side with U2711 for a few days, but the colour was crap as they seemed to only use a nasty cool white spectrum, with exceptionally poor red rendering out of the box.

U2711 can be used with curtains open directly behind me, at ~25% brightness. If you don't like the gloss, it can be removed with a few days downtime and paper towel soaking.. however, after using the panel for nearly four years, I'm glad I didn't do that. Best for all round usage and productivity, at any time, plus 10bit card + screen FTW. 8 bit is for console peasants.
And yes, anime looks just gorgeous.

edit: In all seriousness, 10bit is worth the effort if you want awesome colour. For reference, my other colour standard is the holy grail of man made, electronic colour reproduction; ultra high end, touring grade laser show projectors, with even more gamut again than most of even the unobtanium screens. Some can practically fill a CIE diagram..

The U2711 uses the grainiest matte coating possible, which will cause more eyestrain than reflections. It's also wide-gamut, has a poor factory sRGB calibration, and is considered to be garbage. Reflections are generally not an issue for most consumers, because people are actually smart enough to move their monitors in respect to their light source.

Furthermore, 10-bit won't make a difference for sRGB content, which is all consumer media content. Are you actually using a wide-gamut monitor for a specific purpose, or are you another guy that purchased a wide-gamut monitor and is unaware he has extremely oversaturated color for all of his media?

Well, I can't make a decision, I guess I'm too ocd about monitors and picture quality, it's just debilitating. I can't use my crappy tn laptop any longer either, it's horrible.

Maybe I really don't need those wide gamut profession displays.

I've narrowed it down to CS230, U2715H and the 27" LG that's been recommended here. The LG I'll have to import from usa, while u2715h sold here in Russia for a reasonable price and cs230 is available on computeruniverse for 440 euros.

I will also buy an i1 along with monitor.

What do?

I'd probably avoid importing - too many things can go wrong with a monitor. Unless, of course, you can return it for free. I doubt you'll really need a professional display if your goal is simply hardware calibration for games. Coming from a TN display (I'd assume this covers at best 50% sRGB), you'll see a huge improvement, anyway. If you're considered the Dell U2715, then also take a look at the Asus MX27AQ. It uses the same panel as the Dell, and I suppose it could be cheaper. Factory calibration will likely be less of an issue since you're buying a colorimeter too, but the Asus does have superior color presets to the Dell.

Last edited:
U2711 has it pro and shortcomings, but it is way too old and off topic tbh. I love mine but would never recommend it to others ~

u2715h don't have much advantage for plain 27" QHD except for its warranty and maybe the stand:eek:.

Not sure if the 2735AMG uses the same screen but they are the same type. The 27QW, however, has lower input lag, and better build quality according to =dead=.
I imagine the H-IPS part is just an error, these Korean listings for ebay are often times inaccurate and inconsistent. I actually don't see where it says AH-IPS FHD on the 27QW listing, looks to be say QHD to me; FHD would most certainly be an error, because that's 1080p. Describing the product as glossy is accurate, and an easier localization than Koreans with poor English trying to explain PDC
Not so sure about the conclusion re better build quality from his reviews.
He summarises the 2735AMG as having "Ultra-thin steel casing, which is envied by many representatives of well-known brands; Good quality materials and excellent build" and the 27QW as having "Good quality materials and workmanship" even though he does say it has "better body & ergonomics" - but I think that was more his subjective view of the design. Mind you, when you read user reviews on Amazon & Newegg they often bag the body of the 27QW for being "cheap & plastic" while the 2735AMG gets props for being made of metal - but the 2735AMG gets caned for its crappy base/stand. In video reviews you can literally see it swinging back & forward - doesn't look too stable.

The "H-IPS" reference is not an errant error or if it is, it is one made by Cross the manufacturer, not eBay sellers. Cross's own brochure graphics for the 2735AMG say "H-IPS". The only conclusions that can be drawn are either, 1) the model originally had an H-IPS screen and then they changed to AH-IPS; or 2) that it still uses H-IPS; or 3) that someone at Cross made a monumental brochure error which they haven't fixed for around 3 years.

Look at Cross's own page that I referenced and scroll down - the brochure graphics still say H-IPS as does the "Specification" graphic at the bottom.

As for QHD & FHD, go to the link for the Sakwa, scroll right to the bottom and you'll see "LG DISPLAY AH-IPS FHD" - which while seemingly a mistake, is poor for a description from the manufacturer.

The U2711 uses the grainiest matte coating possible
Agree completely with that. Dell ruins its screens with all that sparkle.

Last edited:
but the Asus does have superior color presets to the Dell.

Not according to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDchD81GX2M

7390K and 2.44 average gamma in both srgb (with color space emulation) and standard presets with native gamut,

Meanwhile I've seen a 2715 review somewhere that showed a smooth gamma curve and low de, contrary to the tft central reviewed unit.

I actually believe that there's a big factory calibration lottery between production batches/revisions.

Last edited:
The U2711 uses the grainiest matte coating possible, which will cause more eyestrain than reflections. It's also wide-gamut, has a poor factory sRGB calibration, and is considered to be garbage. Reflections are generally not an issue for most consumers, because people are actually smart enough to move their monitors in respect to their light source.

Furthermore, 10-bit won't make a difference for sRGB content, which is all consumer media content. Are you actually using a wide-gamut monitor for a specific purpose, or are you another guy that purchased a wide-gamut monitor and is unaware he has extremely oversaturated color for all of his media?

Content creation, R&D/scientific, programming crazy wide gamut laser projection systems - colour matching, adjusting or making content on the fly for them, so yes for many supported applications and data within those areas, it is of benefit.

No, I wouldn't recommend a u2711 or similar to an average joe, plus would presume most people buying a screen like that, know how it can be beneficial. Yes the AR is too much, but, if for whatever reason you need it, it does the job it is there for.. also got used to it pretty quickly.
But then on the other side, the glossy screens are great, until you see darker or black areas.
A middle ground would be nice but you can't excel in every scenario, either way you try.

Hence why I never posted that review (until now due to further interest), not to mention it's sold now, as I move.

This thread has been great for me to find a few other choices I hadn't considered. Thank you all!
And yes Dell is a safe bet if you want a perfect panel, played panel lottery 3 times with them, no problems. And they took a while to pick up one of the screens, so that was nice to run two for a while..

I actually believe that there's a big factory calibration lottery between production batches/revisions.

Yes there is. In some cases its visible to the eye. As I clean the garage this week I may be able to find two different factory calibration sheets to show this..
I also have a theory that different manufacturers get different panel grades.
Apple gets the good stuff, no black pixels/dust. Both friends with them had no issues from day one.
Perhaps Dell etc gets whatever the hell 2nds..

Yes there is. In some cases its visible to the eye. As I clean the garage this week I may be able to find two different factory calibration sheets to show this..
Apple gets the good stuff, no black pixels/dust. Both friends with them had no issues from day one.

The factory calibration reports that come with ultrasharp dells are made up fakes and nothing more in my opinion. I've looked through all the reviews on tft central and overclockers.ru and only few of these reports somewhat correlated with the actual measurements, which was probably just a coincidence.

And yes, apple and premium display companies like eizo and nec get the least defective lg panels.

The factory calibration reports that come with ultrasharp dells are made up fakes and nothing more in my opinion. I've looked through all the reviews on tft central and overclockers.ru and only few of these reports somewhat correlated with the actual measurements, which was probably just a coincidence.

And yes, apple and premium display companies like eizo and nec get the least defective lg panels.

Absolutely. 4k-monitor.ru shows it well with the P2715Q. The uniformity does nothing and the sheet says the monitor is 99% uniform in brightness.

Not so sure about the conclusion re better build quality from his reviews.
He summarises the 2735AMG as having "Ultra-thin steel casing, which is envied by many representatives of well-known brands; Good quality materials and excellent build" and the 27QW as having "Good quality materials and workmanship" even though he does say it has "better body & ergonomics" - but I think that was more his subjective view of the design. Mind you, when you read user reviews on Amazon & Newegg they often bag the body of the 27QW for being "cheap & plastic" while the 2735AMG gets props for being made of metal - but the 2735AMG gets caned for its crappy base/stand. In video reviews you can literally see it swinging back & forward - doesn't look too stable.

The "H-IPS" reference is not an errant error or if it is, it is one made by Cross the manufacturer, not eBay sellers. Cross's own brochure graphics for the 2735AMG say "H-IPS". The only conclusions that can be drawn are either, 1) the model originally had an H-IPS screen and then they changed to AH-IPS; or 2) that it still uses H-IPS; or 3) that someone at Cross made a monumental brochure error which they haven't fixed for around 3 years.

Look at Cross's own page that I referenced and scroll down - the brochure graphics still say H-IPS as does the "Specification" graphic at the bottom.

As for QHD & FHD, go to the link for the Sakwa, scroll right to the bottom and you'll see "LG DISPLAY AH-IPS FHD" - which while seemingly a mistake, is poor for a description from the manufacturer.

Agree completely with that. Dell ruins its screens with all that sparkle.

Hmm, looks like =dead= actually reveals the panel: LM270WQ1-SDF1; the same H-IPS panel used in the 2012 Imac. They honestly seem to perform about the same, but the 2735AMG's panel is much older. Of course, I'd still just go with the Sakwa - newer and likely improved color presets - like Crossover always does, every year.

Definitely.

Content creation, R&D/scientific, programming crazy wide gamut laser projection systems - colour matching, adjusting or making content on the fly for them, so yes for many supported applications and data within those areas, it is of benefit.

No, I wouldn't recommend a u2711 or similar to an average joe, plus would presume most people buying a screen like that, know how it can be beneficial. Yes the AR is too much, but, if for whatever reason you need it, it does the job it is there for.. also got used to it pretty quickly.
But then on the other side, the glossy screens are great, until you see darker or black areas.
A middle ground would be nice but you can't excel in every scenario, either way you try.

Hence why I never posted that review (until now due to further interest), not to mention it's sold now, as I move.

This thread has been great for me to find a few other choices I hadn't considered. Thank you all!
And yes Dell is a safe bet if you want a perfect panel, played panel lottery 3 times with them, no problems. And they took a while to pick up one of the screens, so that was nice to run two for a while..

Glossy screens do not have issues when viewing darker content. Glass screens have the issue of making blacks look grey and that's it.

Hard to call that a review. It's little more than you eyeing up two different monitors, which could potentially be even more invalidated than it already is if the comparison wasn't done with the Dell's sRGB mode.

Dell is often considered to have the worst quality control on the market.

Dell is often considered to have the worst quality control on the market.

Still?

I thought in the last year or two they were/had been supposedly coming up in the world again.

They are the most generous for letting you enroll in their panel lottery. :)

More weirdness from dell

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-dell-u2715h-teil8.html

Sometimes they get it spot on and deliver on their claims, but in a number of instances the "factory calibration" is just wild.

That gamma curve... :D Why is this even allowed?

Meanwhile eizo cs240 in srgb emulation mode:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-eizo-cs240-bk-teil8.html
The cs230 which costs 600$ is as accurate.

Would implementing an actual calibration into production process impact production cost and time that much anyway?

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like =dead= actually reveals the panel: LM270WQ1-SDF1; the same H-IPS panel used in the 2012 Imac. They honestly seem to perform about the same, but the 2735AMG's panel is much older. Of course, I'd still just go with the Sakwa - newer and likely improved color presets - like Crossover always does, every year.
So are you saying you think that the 2735AMG and the 27QW & 27Sakwa(27QW) are all using an H-IPS panel? If so, is that because Cross are using the terms H-IPS and AH-IPS interchangeably? And if so, is that right?

So are you saying you think that the 2735AMG and the 27QW & 27Sakwa(27QW) are all using an H-IPS panel? If so, is that because Cross are using the terms H-IPS and AH-IPS interchangeably? And if so, is that right?

The 27QW and the 2735AMG both use the H-IPS panel LM270WQ1-SDF1; the terms H-IPS and AH-IPS are not interchangeable. If the Sakwa is actually using an AH-IPS panel, then its panel is much newer than its predecessors.

This is actually a mistake on my part, I initially assumed the 27QW was using an AH-IPS panel - that's not the case.

The 27QW and the 2735AMG both use the H-IPS panel LM270WQ1-SDF1; the terms H-IPS and AH-IPS are not interchangeable. If the Sakwa is actually using an AH-IPS panel, then its panel is much newer than its predecessors.

This is actually a mistake on my part, I initially assumed the 27QW was using an AH-IPS panel - that's not the case.
I'm not sure thinking that was a mistake. Cross' product page states AH-IPS in every reference for the 27QW /Sakwa, all the brochure graphics say AH-IPS and every single listing without fail says AH-IPS for the 27QW - same with its near identical twin, the DS270.

Against that, =dead='s Google translated review says "based on the information obtained from one knowledgeable source" the H-IPS is used. That's why I asked if the Koreans are using these terms interchangeably or if =dead='s assumption is wrong or if he just copied it over from his 2735AMG review because surely they can't be deliberately & repeatedly calling their Monitors AH-IPS if they believe they're not. Every single piece of information they've released about the 27QW says it uses an AH-IPS screen. I'm inclined to think that would outweigh the assumption in the review.

But I definitely think there's a question with respect to what screen is used on the 2735AMG. It started as H-IPS and according to some sources changed to AH-IPS somewhere along the way, while others say it still uses an H-IPS screen.

But I definitely think there's a question with respect to what screen is used on the 2735AMG. It started as H-IPS and according to some sources changed to AH-IPS somewhere along the way, while others say it still uses an H-IPS screen.

Apparently, according to panelook, the LM270WQ1-SDF1 is discontinued. So I think we can assume that they would've had to switch to a new panel, likely newer AH-IPS panels - you're right.

Back