I'm just about finished with Lion

mrgstiffler

[H]F Junkie
I have just a ton of annoying issues with Lion. My laptop went from the most stable/dependable computer I've ever had to a near useless piece of crap.

1) Xcode doesn't install. No matter what I do it doesn't install. I have 400GB free, I've redownloded, I've tried installing under another user, repairing permissions. It just doesn't install.

2) Windows from one user popup when another user is logged in:
lionissue.jpg

3) About half the time I mouse over the menubar, for some reason it thinks the mouse button is clicked and shows the menus.

4) Adjusting size of a picture in Preview and exporting it saves a new copy AND overwrites the original. WTF? If I wanted to overwrite the original I would save it, not export!

Lion feels like a step back in many ways... I don't really like how they simplified spaces to one row, and I really don't like the slow animations when switching between spaces. Or how the windows you pinned to every desktop disappear and reappear when switching. My CPU seems to run 10C hotter all the time, the battery doesn't last as long, the new calendar app is ugly, and the two finger forward/back thing from Safari inexplicably doesn't work in other Apple apps, like system preferences or App Store. There are some nice touches, and I actually use and like the Launchpad, but overall it feels like kind of a poorly thought out mess.

I've sort of switched back to Windows. :(

I say just downgrade back to snow leopard and wait out a few more updates. Apple rushed to get this OS and thus all the problems. I honestly haven't had one issue with it yet running on my aluminum macbook, but I've noticed having upgraded my RAM it works better with 8gb than 2 or even 4.

why they decided to sell it for $30.

networking stinks, AD integration is crap compared to leopard / snow

Apple seemed to drop the ball on this one huge, complaints all over about Apps not working that worked fine in Leopard / Snow.

Lion seems to have have garnered very high review ratings from the IT media. But when it comes to Apple products I tend to think the IT media just tends to rubber stamp Apple products as great even when there are issues.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about lion. It boils down to the fact that apple should have just added the good parts of lion to sl. Sl is so fast and stable, I just can't understand why we would want ios on a desktop. It boggles my mind

Apple seemed to drop the ball on this one huge, complaints all over about Apps not working that worked fine in Leopard / Snow.

Likely due to Apple dropping Rosetta. Blame lazy developers: it's been five years since Apple moved from PPC to x86.

Lion seems to have have garnered very high review ratings from the IT media. But when it comes to Apple products I tend to think the IT media just tends to rubber stamp Apple products as great even when there are issues.

Like the MobileMe launch, or the original MacBook Air? Apple has far from a 1.000 batting record with the tech press. ("IT media"?) Heck, even the iPad had a mixed reception.

I installed Lion on my older MBP to try it out before installing it on my current gen MBP.

My response is "meh". Other than the SMB file sharing improvement I'm not sure why an upgrade is necessary.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about lion. It boils down to the fact that apple should have just added the good parts of lion to sl. Sl is so fast and stable, I just can't understand why we would want ios on a desktop. It boggles my mind

Amen. Not moving from SL right now - given how I use spaces and expose, Lion would fuck up every drop of my workflow.

Amen. Not moving from SL right now - given how I use spaces and expose, Lion would fuck up every drop of my workflow.

Amen x2. My workflow is severely hampered in Lion as well. I've tried setting it up like Lion comes default and I've tried setting it up as close to my SL as possible, just to make sure I've tried both scenarios. I can't get used to either.. boo. Luckily SL is a beast and I can skip Apple's version of Vista :)

I installed Lion on my older MBP to try it out before installing it on my current gen MBP.

My response is "meh". Other than the SMB file sharing improvement I'm not sure why an upgrade is necessary.

SMB improvements??!!? By improvements you mean botching it completely? :p I can no longer access my iMac shares from any of my Windows machines.

Then there is the fact that everytime I use Target Display Mode it does this to all of my open windows. So everytime I want to use TDM I have to close every single application open.

Working fine here. Maybe something went wrong during the install?

Wow good read - I was considering moving from SL to L. Probably hold off for a good long while

So glad I didn't install this right away.

I have plenty of games through steam and greenmangaming but call me old-fashioned when it comes to my OS, I'd like a disc please.

Glad to hear my archaic way of thinking saved me from a $30 turd.

So glad I didn't install this right away.

I have plenty of games through steam and greenmangaming but call me old-fashioned when it comes to my OS, I'd like a disc please.

Glad to hear my archaic way of thinking saved me from a $30 turd.

The digital download and install actually was pretty cool and worked well. The software itself, however, is a different story...

It's been very buggy for me. I even went back and did a clean install but it didn't solve all my issues. Most irritating thing is not all my widgets work. After the clean install some started to work again, sometimes. And sometimes CPU usage for dashboard pegs at 100% and stays there.

Also my imac runs hotter under Lion.

DP4 of Lion was much more stable than the retail release or even 1.7.1 for me. I've had the login process crash and dump me back to the login screen far more than I'd like to admit. Not to mention mission control fucking up and leaving me stuck in it or with a unresponsive Finder/Dock/Menubar or windows I can switch between and do nothing with until I reboot. Super unpleasant.

i think this has something to do with apple people done this on purpose!? how stupid can they be? apple's vista?

lol, sounds like it!

and what is funnier is they don't have to worry about drivers and other hardware.....unlike vista.

Yea I don't like that path as well. I see the desktop becoming more closed as they try to push people to the ios style setup.

Anyway I was hoping they would have done more with the launcher dock. Right now I prefer windows 7's.

I will say I haven't had the problems many have had on their macs running lion but I really haven't used mine that much.

My first Mac (MacMini 2011) with Lion installed. Thought I would be bogged down in learning a new OS but this was easier then expected. I do see a few things that Microsoft 7 has that Lion does not, but I can live with the few differences. Not saying those with issues are not accurate but at least for me, this is just fine (Not great, just fine)......

The digital download and install actually was pretty cool and worked well. The software itself, however, is a different story...

What I was thinking of was trying to resell my Macbook Pro. Having Lion registered to my Itunes account is useless if I no longer own a Mac. Plus anyone buying a MBP now, would probably prefer Lion to Snow Leopard so it would be nice if I could just give the buyer a Lion dvd

Are you sure you can't burn it to a dvd? I have Lion on a DVD..
Or maybe you can "gift" Lion from your iTunes account to the buyer's?
Idk I'm just thinking out loud here.

Whats this I'm hearing? You're a troll?

A lot of long time Apple folks are complaining about Lion's quality. Apple does a lot of great work but it isn't perfect. I'm sure there will be a big update that fixes most of this stuff in a few months.

I'm thinking dev resources at Apple are moving towards iOS since that's the future. Lion seems like a 1st pass at unifying the two, and not a very good one.

I'm thinking dev resources at Apple are moving towards iOS since that's the future. Lion seems like a 1st pass at unifying the two, and not a very good one.

I've thought that very thing as well. It reminds me of something that was new, not very good, but led to something great.. what was it called... oh yeah.. Vista! lol

OS X Vista :)

This is exactly what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8 and it is being met with much skepticism but it is the next logical step in the progression of computer form factors as unification is is a natural technological progression.

A lot of long time Apple folks are complaining about Lion's quality. Apple does a lot of great work but it isn't perfect. I'm sure there will be a big update that fixes most of this stuff in a few months.

.0 releases do have a history of being buggy. But not this buggy. It's also not just buggy but damn inconsistent. The thing that bothers me is the fact that they didn't really change all that much. It really isn't like the XP->Vista transition. There are some under the hood changes (SMB and security) but not that many. When I tried the first developer's preview I thought they were about a year away, and that still seems to be the case.

because that's how Apple make $$$

.0 releases do have a history of being buggy. But not this buggy. It's also not just buggy but damn inconsistent. The thing that bothers me is the fact that they didn't really change all that much. It really isn't like the XP->Vista transition. There are some under the hood changes (SMB and security) but not that many. When I tried the first developer's preview I thought they were about a year away, and that still seems to be the case.

Well, Lion has pissed me off so much this week that I am currently installing Windows 7 in BootCamp and I intend on running it for the next six months or so till Lion matures to a usable state. I would LOVE to be able to install Snow Leopard, but this is a 2011 Mini and it has.....issues with Snow Leopard (and I need dual display).

Well, Lion has pissed me off so much this week that I am currently installing Windows 7 in BootCamp and I intend on running it for the next six months or so till Lion matures to a usable state. I would LOVE to be able to install Snow Leopard, but this is a 2011 Mini and it has.....issues with Snow Leopard (and I need dual display).

that's what i've been doing. my friend bough lion on a usb stick then decided to buy a sager laptop so he gave me his lion. installed it then decided it was meh. i've been on boot camp since.

Back