I'm done with windows

Windows is found on just about as many devices as Linux is.

No, no it's not, by a huge amount.

No, because all you've established with that is that Windows isn't the only OS in the world. Regardless, everybody should already know that Windows is extremely prevalent, and not just as a desktop OS. For the range of hardware Windows runs on, the level of stability provided is sufficiently good.

:facepalm:

No, no it's not, by a huge amount.

:facepalm:

Did you even look at the link you provided? The data doesn't support or oppose your position, since it in fact isn't relevant to your position. For one thing, they weren't gathering data on all types of devices. Additionally, they didn't examine Linux share in their report, either. The data you linked to demonstrates that when considering a subspace of all devices in the world, Windows represents about 20%, with the remainder being categorized as Apple, Google or 'other', and for the discussion we're having that isn't useful. So really, all this tells us of course, is that Windows isn't on every single device in the world...and we all already knew that. Sorry, but that's just logic and empiricism. If you can find empirically sound data examining the usage of Linux and Windows on all devices and systems (so not just consumer devices, and not just off-the-shelf OS builds), feel free to share it, but I can assure you from experience that you're likely going to struggle with finding such data. Please, on the other hand, don't waste our time with links to irrelevant data sets.

I find it interesting that some will say that Linux runs on all these devices, counting things like Android phones and tablets, and then use that number in comparison to Windows desktop machines and then turn around and say in a criticism of Windows 8 that a PC isn't a phone or tablet. If that's so than a PC isn't a thermostat of DVR either.

Well, we all know what Android is/boots.

Yes, we all know that Android is Android. Likewise, we all also know that there's a lot of ATMs, cars, cash registers and so-forth, in the world, too. Sorry, but the same kernel that runs Ubuntu is not going to run an Android phone and Android apps, and the Android kernel is a far cry from the Linux kernel it is loosely based off of. So if you're going to count Android as Linux, you're going to have to count all of the non-desktops running embedded versions of Windows as Windows and the data you provided doesn't do that.

Yes, we all know that Android is Android. Likewise, we all also know that there's a lot of ATMs, cars, cash registers and so-forth, in the world, too. Sorry, but the same kernel that runs Ubuntu is not going to run an Android phone and Android apps, and the Android kernel is a far cry from the Linux kernel it is loosely based off of. So if you're going to count Android as Linux, you're going to have to count all of the non-desktops running embedded versions of Windows as Windows and the data you provided doesn't do that.

Like I said, no point in continuing.

I will help sponsor an independent study, you with me?

I will help sponsor an independent study, you with me?

I'm always looking to contribute academic papers. If you write a research proposal with a realistic experiment design and get grants and funding for it ahead of time, I would certainly be interested in trying to work on such a thing. But, of course, I can't make any commitments without funding and a clearly defined problem, scope and objective.

It's actually true, as of today there are still more Windows systems in use than there are Android devices in use. From Gartner's recent sales trend report (yes, 2014-2015 is a projection):

OuR27Tr.png

There were 470 million Android devices in use around the middle of last year (don't confuse Linux and embedded embedded OSs with Android when you see gigantic numbers... most embedded devices do not use Android). Giving Android an optimistic sales rate from those Gartner figures, Windows' installed base of over 1.3 billion PCs (as of 2012, it's slightly higher now) in use should be slightly higher than Android's usage right now.

The balance should tip fairly soon, likely before Q3.

As many architectures != as much hardware. Sorry, but you're missing the big picture.

I honestly believe it's the best approach if you wish to a actually know how Linux works. Good luck.

One thing which I hope to do eventually would end up creating my own distro, pretty much the ultimate way to adapt something exactly to my needs. However, it will be a lot of work, but it may be worth it. One thing I see with linux, and one thing that makes it sort of hard to give it to any user, is that it does not save the user from him/herself, something that is needed to create a "user-friendly" OS. So something much like android, locked-down (relatively) until you "root" the OS to mod it as you wish.

Ubuntu tried this, but did not do it "right" IMHO.

Isn't the Netflix for Linux thing just Silverlight running on a WINE layer? I can't imagine nobody has had success with using fake user agents to appear to Netflix as an android device to circumvent the Silverlight requirement.

yeah .. I wish Netflix would hurry up and switch to HTML5 already .. I did get it to work, but on my lowly e-350 .. it's not always smooth with all the fake shennanigans going on .. :p

yeah .. I wish Netflix would hurry up and switch to HTML5 already .. I did get it to work, but on my lowly e-350 .. it's not always smooth with all the fake shennanigans going on .. :p

HTML 5 for Netflix works perfectly on by Dell Venue 8 Pro Atom tablet using IE 11, both desktop and modern versions, it's even relativity touch friend in the browser.

HTML 5 for Netflix works perfectly on by Dell Venue 8 Pro Atom tablet using IE 11, both desktop and modern versions, it's even relativity touch friend in the browser.

Yes, but is it using an HTML5 <video> node to display the video, or is it using Sliverlight? If you inspect the page's source and you find it's the latter, this is a problem for Linux users because Linux doesn't have a native Silverlight implementation.

Has Netflix released fully functioning HTML5-only streaming yet? I know they've been talking about it for a while, but I haven't seen it in action anywhere.

Yes, but is it using an HTML5 <video> node to display the video, or is it using Sliverlight? If you inspect the page's source and you find it's the latter, this is a problem for Linux users because Linux doesn't have a native Silverlight implementation.

Has Netflix released fully functioning HTML5-only streaming yet? I know they've been talking about it for a while, but I haven't seen it in action anywhere.
I would like to know this as well. My HTPC is currently using Windows XP and I would love to move over to Linux before support for XP ends.

...and don't forget about cars. Fords and KIA's all run on Windows CE or similar.

This was the IE 11 modern browser so HTML 5.

Just because "it was IE11" means nothing. IE11 supports Silverlight just as older IE versions. Does IE11 support HTML5 video playback? Yes. IE10 and IE9 support HTML5 video playback as well (IE9 to a limited extent). Is HTML5 video playback used by Netflix? You need to determine that yourself in your browser.

I just tried running Netflix in my Chromium browser in Linux (Chromium is Chrome, without Google's touch) and it does not run. What this tells me, Netflix's device support is pretty shitty - it's likely based on user agents rather than device features.

I just tried running Netflix in my Chromium browser in Linux (Chromium is Chrome, without Google's touch) and it does not run. What this tells me, Netflix's device support is pretty shitty - it's likely based on user agents rather than device features.

Naturally, the next thing you should have done is faked an IE11 user agent with your Chromium browser and see what happens. What if that solves everybody's problems?

Netflix and other protected streaming services HTML5 switch is likely dependent on finalization of Encrypted Media Extensions. It's still in the proposal stage, candidate working draft.

Hopefully it doesn't face too many roadblocks from the "I won't use anything with DRM anyways, but I must stop this!!11" crowd.

Hopefully it doesn't face too many roadblocks from the "I won't use anything with DRM anyways, but I must stop this!!11" crowd.

Yeah, I feel like HTML5 has moved at the pace of continental drift thanks to all of the disagreements about various aspects. It'd be nice to have all of the functionality the industry has been waiting on to be finalised.

The IE 11 modern browser doesn't support Silverlight.

Except that it works just fine.

Naturally, the next thing you should have done is faked an IE11 user agent with your Chromium browser and see what happens. What if that solves everybody's problems?

Newest production version of Chrome doesn't let you change user agent to IE anything. (v32) At lest, without any extensions. Also, not everyone knows how to fiddle with developer tools.

Except that it works just fine.

Not sure what you're saying here. All I was pointing out is that IE 11 modern doesn't support Silverlight and that it uses HTML 5 playback for Netflix which as you said earlier works fine in IE 11.

Not sure what you're saying here. All I was pointing out is that IE 11 modern doesn't support Silverlight and that it uses HTML 5 playback for Netflix which as you said earlier works fine in IE 11.

No, you are wrong:
Silverlight is supported in IE11 (system requirements tab) :
http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

Furthermore, just because something supports HTML5 video playback, it's up to the developer to use it or not. I just checked my work computer, which has Windows 7 installed on it and IE11. Netflix chose to use Silverlight with it.

You can't be blamed for that: even Microsoft doesn't (consistently) know correct the terminology.

Also, not everyone knows how to fiddle with developer tools.

Yeah, but you'd like to think that of all people, Linux users should know how to spoof user agents.

Looks like I have to do everything myself. I'll have to try this later.

I am 100% Linux at home / work / mobile but sometimes need to use OS X for music and can say that regardless for the countless things I hate about the Windows O.S., stability has never been one of them. The system is stable as fuck for me. It's everything beyond that which makes this not a great tool in my hand regardless of the job at hand.

Same here, the only thing that Windows annoys me is the user interface and it's not tooo bad (I'm actually warming up to Windows 8.1!).

I am just happy that Linux (GNOME 3.10) has an expose/mission-control alternative that works well. But yeah, OS X takes Unix and makes it "just work" (though my latest Fedora 20 install has left me pretty impressed).

Any ideas on how to make skype LESS shitty on linux? For some reason it has some very annoying behavior, like the process never dying, or RANDOMLY exploding onto the desktop, after I "quit" it, or just killing my audio while I'm in a call, just to name a few.

I sort of require skype.

Any ideas on how to make skype LESS shitty on linux? For some reason it has some very annoying behavior, like the process never dying, or RANDOMLY exploding onto the desktop, after I "quit" it, or just killing my audio while I'm in a call, just to name a few.

I sort of require skype.

Which version of Skype are you running? Is it up to date?

Which version of Skype are you running? Is it up to date?
Latest on repos. It does not matter too much now anyways, I am forced to switch back to Windows on my main machine right now. I will keep a machine running linux, however, just so I can continue to experiment and play with linux. Why do I have to switch back?

Although Linux has evolved massively over the years, there are just some things in it I THOUGHT I could do without, but it ended up that I could not. So I have to switch back to windows. This was a fun experiment though, and I'll definitely commission my old computer with a full blown gentoo build just for shits :)

Skype has gone down hill since MS acquired it. Even the OSX version is now full of bugs.

Having said that I have had success installing Skype on Xubuntu at least (can't remember if I did it to other distros which is also possible). At one time there was this annoying problem with Skype and the web cam (image works on first boot, gone the second) which took some fiddling before it was fixed but other than that I haven't run into big problems with it.

Back