I'm done waiting... gpu/monitor recommendation

itsGEE!

Limp Gawd
Simply put, I'm done waiting and I'm fine maxing out 1080p for gaming at 60+ fps at around 24". I'd do 144hz. Goal is to max out bf4 and make gta v look pretty.

Current build:
Intel 4690k
Msi z97 krait sli
Evga 750 g2
16 gigs of ram

I really only play bf4 and will be playing bf5 when it comes out. I also own gta v and age of empires lol. A friend thinks I'm an idiot for building a desktop to only really play bf4.

What would you guys recommend as far as gpu and monitor? I window shop all the time and I'm really tired. Just want something today to be done with my build already. I don't mind upgrading in 2 years.

Thanks!

Maybe like $600 for both? It's a tough question because once I spend a certain amount, I ask myself why not drop a few more bucks and get something better. Then I start asking myself why I just don't wait, then I'm back to square 1. I check every day for pascal news and there's nothing.

Maybe like $600 for both? It's a tough question because once I spend a certain amount, I ask myself why not drop a few more bucks and get something better. Then I start asking myself why I just don't wait, then I'm back to square 1. I check every day for pascal news and there's nothing.
Waiting for future tech is like that. If the target is $600 then a 390 plus a 24 inch freesync should be doable.
Screen: Amazon.com: 24-inch freesync
GPU: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...aps&field-keywords=amd+390&rh=i:aps,k:amd+390

Mix and match as you see fit and it should come in at about $600

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you Darakian and primetime ! It looks like the 390 is what I'm looking for and I really like that monitor you mentioned primetime. The card mentioned comes with hitman code. I've never played the hitman series, but it looks fun based on YouTube videos.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I might suggest going for an R9 290 or 290x if you can find them left in stock. The 290 is the same chip that's in the 390, the 290x will be even faster, and the 4GB isn't going to hold you back at all at 1080p. Going with either should save you $100-150 vs. a 390 which you can put towards a better monitor (the item you'll likely keep longer). You might even be able to swing a freesync monitor with the savings.

Last edited:
If you are done waiting then you might feel really bad when they announce the features of Frostbyte 4 (which will power Battlefield 5) then you have a better idea on what to get since those are your "only" goals in gaming ....

I might suggest going for an R9 290 or 290x if you can find them left in stock. The 290 is the same chip that's in the 390, the 290x will be even faster, and the 4GB isn't going to hold you back at all at 1080p. Going with either should save you $100-150 vs. a 390 which you can put towards a better monitor (the item you'll likely keep longer). You might even be able to swing a freesync monitor with the savings.

I second this thought process. I would get the monitor that you want and go with a 290, saving you a good amount of money. If you can, grab one with Hynix memory as those modules will do 1500Mhz, granting a pretty decent performance increase in gaming.

I know this goes against my budget and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond, but I found this deal after having a beer after work and I'm very tempted.

What if I picked this bad boy up and sat on it until the pascal cards come out? 1440p, 144hz, gsync...

At least this way I get to calm down a bit and appreciate the beauty of the monitor. Then pick up a newer gpu hopefully in the summer or at least know by then when they'll come out?

Thoughts? Stupid idea? Go home itsGEE! You're drunk?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-11-16-08-21.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-11-16-08-21.png
    355 KB · Views: 12
well i was wondering why a 24inch display? That tiny for todays choices...i also love the new ultra wide displays coming out...500 bucks for gsynce? thats a 350 dollar display plus the nvidia tax....buy whatever floats your boat!

this one looks hot to me
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VBNQJKU/?tag=extension-kb-20
81%2BMVr18ovL._SL1500_.jpg

$379.00

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
primetime if you're ever in Chicago, I owe you beers lol. It's $500 for gsync, 1440p, 144hz... Am I making a mistake? I really into the the ultra wide screen, but that opens up a new can of worms.

primetime if you're ever in Chicago, I owe you beers lol. It's $500 for gsync, 1440p, 144hz... Am I making a mistake? I really into the the ultra wide screen, but that opens up a new can of worms.
Naw you be ok with that choice.....I personally very much liked my last dell display (except for the price) its a tad much for what you get but youl like it....27 inch is a nice size..i wouldn't mind having that res and refresh either ---pull the trigger!

I just purchased one of the Acer x34s that were on sale and from my personal experience gsync is absolutely amazing. With the division or far cry primal etc. and at this resolution my 980ti struggles a bit. I'm quite often in the high 40fps range but it is the smoothest gaming i've ever done. Stuttering and tearing are gone. I know they're expensive but I feel like it really brings more value out of my GPU.

I just purchased one of the Acer x34s that were on sale and from my personal experience gsync is absolutely amazing. With the division or far cry primal etc. and at this resolution my 980ti struggles a bit. I'm quite often in the high 40fps range but it is the smoothest gaming i've ever done. Stuttering and tearing are gone. I know they're expensive but I feel like it really brings more value out of my GPU.

My buddy got a FreeSync Asus 27" IPS and he loves it. It's the FreeSync equivalent of the Asus ROG Swift GSYNC monitor. AMD and Nvidia really hit it out of the park with FreeSync and GSYNC. AMD even has FreeSync for HDMI connections now in their latest drivers. Those monitors are coming soon.

I pulled the trigger and I'm not sure what I got myself into lol. I woke up this morning and had to double check my email to see if I had pulled the trigger or not. At the moment, I kind of regret doing it and not picking up what I originally planned. I think I even had a gtx 980 ti in my cart but didn't do it.

Now I guess I have to wait some more. I'm very tempted to pick up a 980ti, but I think they're barely able to run 2k at 60 fps maxed out if I'm mistaken. I'm afraid the games will only become more gpu hungry in the immediate future and I'll have to pick up a new card. Maybe I should just return it? It hasn't been shipped out yet.

A single 980ti isn't going to run 4K gaming maxed out 60fps. Hell it can't even run the new Tomb Raider @1440p maxed out 60fps. With that said, the 980ti is a helluva card and you will be quite pleased with it. In most DX11 benchmarks it's the fastest card out. The DX12 benchmarks are too early to determine a true winner. AMD cards are strutting their stuff in many of those, but never count out Nvidia.

I pulled the trigger and I'm not sure what I got myself into lol. I woke up this morning and had to double check my email to see if I had pulled the trigger or not. At the moment, I kind of regret doing it and not picking up what I originally planned. I think I even had a gtx 980 ti in my cart but didn't do it.

Now I guess I have to wait some more. I'm very tempted to pick up a 980ti, but I think they're barely able to run 2k at 60 fps maxed out if I'm mistaken. I'm afraid the games will only become more gpu hungry in the immediate future and I'll have to pick up a new card. Maybe I should just return it? It hasn't been shipped out yet.

It will be fine.....at 2k res it will do great with minor barley even detectable settings off a max.... in a blind test VERY few of us here can tell difference with a few settings lowered. A 4k display might have been an issue with low fps...youl be more than fine at 2k with a 980ti

You sound way too jumpy dude. Making this kind of hasty decision after waiting so long when Pascal is finally imminent.

you-rack-disciprine.jpeg

Last edited:
Well this is true.....he originally was going to buy a mid range card (which depreciate less when new cards drop) and then decided on just a display, which seemed like a good call. Most company's dont ship till Mondays so if going to cancel nows the time.

I'm actually going to keep it for now. I'll hold off on the card and just continue to game on this 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor in the mean time. It seems as if I picked up the monitor at the lowest price it's been in a long time, or ever? At 1440p, 144hz, 27" and gsync, I hope to be set for a little while?

gsync/free sync is more important than ultra wide.
removing tearing/stuttering etc will be a bigger improvement than the bit more of screen estate.

that includes friends running 980ti's on non UHD screens.

gsync/free sync is more important than ultra wide.
removing tearing/stuttering etc will be a bigger improvement than the bit more of screen estate.

that includes friends running 980ti's on non UHD screens.

We're going to have to disagree. So long as you have enough power to hit 60 FPS pretty consistently, tearing isn't really an issue, but screen real estate and pixel density make a huge difference. Having used a 26" 16:10 display (!920x1200) for years and owned a 27" 1440P 16:9 display for a few months, then trying too many 40-45" 4K TVs as monitors to list... apart from 4K, which is really too hard to drive at this point with the settings I've come to demand in games, my current Dell U3415W is the best option. 34" 21:9 60Hz, with very strong color calibration out of the box. The curve and extra space toward the periphery of vision really make a huge difference in games, particularly titles like Dragon Age Inquisition, the Witcher 3, and Rise of the Tomb raider where immersion is such a big part of the experience. Obviously I'd rather it was a G-sync display, but considering the price premium it wasn't an option for me and I've been exceedingly happy with the Dell.

sure, but not all games support "above" 16:9 ratio,
and for FPS games running on larger than 32in screens in ultra wide, its getting annoying to have to move your head just to see stuff in the corners.

I guess it really comes down to what you do with the moni,
and since the OP is playing FPS (BF), gsync/free sync WILL be more important than 21:9 (vs 16:9 or 10)

especially if your not constantly AND always getting 60fps (which for R6 siege isnt even possible with a 980ti@1440).

Back