I'm confused -- PS3 and backwards compatible with PS2 games

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
So I just baught an 80gb PS3 a couple days ago, and between some good new PS3 games, I had intended to go back and play some oldie (but goodie) PS2 games. I never owned a PS2 and missed some stuff.

So whats the deal. From what I read and what I was told, the NEW 80gb can NOT play PS2 games? But the OLD 80gb can?

So the PS3 that I own, the new 80gb (I presume) can't play any PS2 games? Is this accurate?

Is there any way that I can get it to? Is there software available (legal only please, I don't want any hacks)?

Thanks in advance ;).

Short answer is no, your new PS3 is not PS2 Backwards compatible, they did this to cut cost.

Also, the newer PS3's have 2 less USB ports and some other features that I forget. I got a new PS3 as a present too, but I don't really mind it not having PS2 B/C, as I already own the PS2 slim.

What are the chances of them having it in the future? Because I could go out and spend $60 and get one, but honestly, I'll wait a few months if some kind of software update is planning to add it.

What are the chances of them having it in the future? Because I could go out and spend $60 and get one, but honestly, I'll wait a few months if some kind of software update is planning to add it.

I don't think they can just "patch it in", they completely removed the emotion engine that was part of the system that could run the PS2 games.

Actually PS2 Singstar discs will work when you use the disk swap via the PS3 version. That is the only BC available on the newer models. Rumours are there will be some kind of emulation when PS2 games hit the store but I'd imagine only the downloadable games would work.

All hearsay at the mo tho.

First-gen PS3 had native support, second-gen has emulated support, and third-gen to present-gen has no support.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Yea kinda. When are PS2 games supposed to hit the store? I can hold out and just get the ones I wanna play off the store if its going to happen. But otherwise, I guess I'll have to go buy a PS2. Its not crazy expensive luckily.

It could be tomorrow or it could be a year from now, but we'll more than likely see ps2 games at the store at some point. Honestly though, either way I would say its worth it to just buy a ps2. You can get ps2 games either on sale new or used for dirt cheap, in the end probably saving you more than the cost of the ps2 hardware versus buying them off the store instead (which shouldn't be too expensive, but won't be as cheap). Plus it looks like it will end up taking slightly customized emulation built in for each game, so availability and quality of various games might be hit or miss.

If it's possible for you to return the ps3 you have, you could look on ebay and find an original 60gb ps3 with hardware BC. I was on the fence for a long time about buying a ps3 but I hurried and got one when i read they were removing the ps2 parts. Pretty happy to have it, virtual memory cards and lots of good ps2 games i still play is all great.

If you getting an old (probably overpriced) ps3 is not an option then you should just get a slim ps2. I havne't heard anything about bringing mass amounts of ps2 games for download on psn.

Yea, I got a steal on this PS3 ($150 new from the Sony Store), so I'm gonna keep this one for sure :).

Guess I can snag a PS2, I just hate having to. I'll hold off for now, and see if anything comes to the store. Thanks guys.

GDD has used 60gb PS3s on sale now:
http://www.gamedealdaily.com/

Anyways, if you want to buy PS2 games any time soon, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a patch that exists only as a hopeful fanboy's rumor. Buy a BC PS3 or buy a PS2.

They barely manage to give us PSone games on U.S. PSN (Japan has a lot), I doubt we will be seeing PS2 games anytime soon. Also considering the bandwidth and storage space required, its just not a viable thing right now.

They barely manage to give us PSone games on U.S. PSN (Japan has a lot), I doubt we will be seeing PS2 games anytime soon. Also considering the bandwidth and storage space required, its just not a viable thing right now.

Disagree completely, most PS2 games were no larger than 4GB. There is easily enough bandwidth and space available for this. Even less feature-rich PS3 downloads are rarely less than 1GB.

Back