I'm conflicted... Xbox One instead of PS4?

Has the Xbox One reversals since E3 change your mind about the Xbox One?

• Yes

Votes: 41 19.7%
  • No (explain)

Votes: 167 80.3%

• Total voters

zamardii

2[H]4U
So, i am actually conflicted. I started a thread right after Sony announced that they would not have DRM restrictions on used games, and that they don't require a internet connection, etc, etc. I've been praising the PS4 like crazy and bashing Microsoft and the Xbox One since E3 regarding the decision they made with the Xbox One at the time.

So now after some time has passed, i've been able to look at both consoles for what they are now and I am honestly conflicted after whole-heartedly knowing I wanted a PS4 and even preordering one. My disappointment and contempt towards Microsoft and the Xbox One has subsided and i watched the E3 press conference again and I can honestly say that I almost want a Xbox One more now (at launch). I know, I know... don't start throwing rocks yet but for me, there are some distinct advantages the One has over the PS4 out the gate as I see it now. This is just my personal thoughts, and correct me if i am wrong on some of these...

1. The Xbox One has pass-through HDMI enabling me to be able to switch between TV and playing games seemlessly with the push of a button. There is also a Xbox layover which you can access while watching TV. PS4 can't do this.

2. Launch titles. There were 3 games I was looking forward to at the PS4 launch. Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, and Drive Club. Drive Club sounded great, but wasn't too sure sure about how it might actually turn out after actually playing with it. The Xbox One also will have Assassin's Creed 4, and Watch Dogs available at launch with also Forza 5 releasing on launch day which actually is already a great franchise. And not to mention the awesomeness of Dead Rising 3 also being a launch title which I absolutely loved when I had my 360 before I sold it. And the gameplay video looked great at E3. And yes, I know of all the other PS4 games coming out at launch but they honestly don't interest me... Like, Killzone Shadow Fall i'm not excited about regardless of how pretty it looks b/c I couldn't even finish Killzone 3 I was so bored. The only killer Playstation franchise I would really miss is Uncharted and hopefully The Last Of Us gets some sequels. Metal Gear Solid 5 I was surprised is going to Xbox but that's no reason to stay with Playstation anymore which in the past has always been a huge reason for me being my favorite franchise. However, from what it looks like to me the launch titles may be better than the PS4's offerings, but the launch window games of the PS4 as well as the new IPs coming out vastly outweigh the launch titles which are always lower quality than later titles.

3. Ability to resume game exactly from where you left off after powering off your console. Actually, it resumes exactly where you left off regardless of what you were doing when you turned off the console.

4. Voice Commands/Facial recognition. "Xbox On," facial recognition of player(s) and signing in automatically to the assigned profile. And since Kinect is packaged with every One, there is more likely going to be better ways of utilizing it other than the PSEYE which may very rarely get support or half-assed like on PS3.

5. Multi-tasking abilities. The specific feature I like about the One is that you could be playing one game, pause it, switch to another games and switch back and forth if you wanted with ease. Or back and forth between Netflix and game, or game and blu-ray movie... whatever.

So anyway, now that the dust has settled from the original One announcements I am feeling more love towards the new One than before. Whether or not i'd buy one is still up in the air but as of right now I definitely am liking the One more than before. Still love the PS4 a lot, but some of the One features I am actually liking a lot right now.

Added a poll for good measure.

Last edited:
No. I think Microsoft is back pedalling right now. If I had to get one of the 8th-gen consoles, it would be the PS4 at this point. However, having said that, I have plenty of games between the PC and the PS3/360/Wii options available to me at home.

If Microsoft would cut the mandatory Kinect bullshit, the XB1 and PS4 would be on equal footing. At this point, if/when I get one of the next-gen consoles, my kids will be old enough to factor in on the decision.

still a no for me with knowing how hard MS works to give the NSA all your info and now theyre putting an HD camera, IR camera, and microphone in my living room? yeah i will not buy one ever unless they let you get rid of the camera. the switching between stuff is cool, but ultimately useless since you can just use the input button on your tv/receiver. pausing a game to watch a movie or play another game seems nice but really with how slow this thing already is, im not sure i like the idea of having a bunch of stuff running in the background. sounds like a lot of stuttering, lockups, and RRODs to me. finally, $100 less.

No, my main reason for preferring the PS4 (albeit I am not interested in either at launch since the titles are not that interesting to me) is that the games offered will likely be more appealing to me. A secondary reason would be console exclusive games (not offered on the PC) in theory should on average run better on the PS4 but the more important hardware distinction for me is actually that the PS4 supports analog audio out (via the controller) :p Also the PS4 is cheaper.

The reason I want a console is to play games I'm interested in not offered on the PC. The PS4 just seems the more suitable out of the two for me in that regard. The games offered however may change my mind on this depending on what happens and I'm be open to getting a Xbox One instead if the difference in games were compelling.

I voted no buying both systems anyway. Xbox one at launch and PS4 soon after.

Say you've been out to eat with a some friends and a new guy that's perhaps trying a bit too hard to win you over. People are dropping out, and on the way out of the restaurant it's just you and the new guy walking alongside for a bit.

Suddenly he pulls a knife at you, saying "bend over, because I'm going to rape you for all you're worth".

You start running, but you hear the guy screaming at you "Come back, I guess I didn't 'message' that right! I understand some people are not ready for this just ye..."

His voice disappears as you keep running.

Say you've been out to eat with a some friends and a new guy that's perhaps trying a bit too hard to win you over. People are dropping out, and on the way out of the restaurant it's just you and the new guy walking alongside for a bit.

Suddenly he pulls a knife at you, saying "bend over, because I'm going to rape you for all you're worth".

You start running, but you hear the guy screaming at you "Come back, I guess I didn't 'message' that right! I understand some people are not ready for this just ye..."

His voice disappears as you keep running.
Man what kind of people do you go out to eat with :)

One Xbox One-exclusive launch title practically plays itself (Ryse), and another one literally does play itself (Forza 5). I'm definitely leaning in the direction of the PS4.

MS would rather throw money at misleading PR than in actual creative content, so no.. the XBONE(d) is still a no-go for me.

Been an Xbox fanboy since the original and thoroughly enjoyed the 360. Never owned a PS and yet decided to make the jump to PS4. Sticking with my first instinct. I think the PS4 is better deal all around, especially since I never really used or needed a kinect. Pass through means nothing for me, I have everything plugged into my AVR and Direct TV has said zilch about integrating with Xbox. Voice commands are a gimmick, cool initially but that's it, just like siri and whatnot on your phone, fun for a week but really not useful hence why you never use it again. And for me games was a toss up for each system, both have some sweat launch games, but a lot of them are cross platform.

Before the One was officially announced (even after the reveal but before E3) I was leaning towards it as opposed to the PS4. I was looking forward to/hoping to expect;

• Live Cable w/Kinect gestures
  • Cable DVR
  • At least as powerful as PS4
  • Exceptional Indie program and market

Instead I got;

• Draconian DRM
  • Noticably less powerful
  • No Cable DVR
  • Live Cable via pass thru (still need cablebox)
  • Mandatory Kinect

And now I have;

• A more powerful 360 that only plays Live cable
  • Mandatory Kinect
  • Harsh Indie regulations

I would have bought an Xbox One if they were at least as powerful as PS4 or reasonably close, used cablecards (removing the local cablebox), and had a cable DVR.

I would have lived with the DRM and Kinect requirements, unfortunately this is not going to happen. I cannot forsee myself buying one unless one or more of the following is met;

• Games look and perform the same or better than PS4
  • Microsoft secures remarkable exclusives that compete with Sony Worldwide Studios
  • Xbox Live paywall is removed
  • Remove Kinect requirements
  • Somehow add Cable DVR functionallity

In either case, they are in a bad situation where many are evaluating their console purchase like I am and seeing there are many more variables in choosing a Xbox One as opposed to almost zero on PS4.

20 things you may or may not know about the PS4

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/07/12/heres-20-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-the-ps4/

There is a video if you go to the link of course if you can access it

1 PlayStation Dynamic Menu is replacing the XMB.

2 500GB HDD, can be replaced and upgraded.

3 Log onto any PS4, access your games and purchases from any machine as long as you are signed in.

4 You can `nominate' one PlayStation 4 as your home machine, with your content always available on that one system, even to other users (including PlayStation Plus).

5 Comes with an HDMI cable.

6 Not region locked.

7 PlayStation Camera can shoot in 3D and in high quality.

8 PlayStation Camera has four microphones for accurate sound detection and source origination.

9 Video Unlimited will stream movies for the first time on PlayStation.

10 You'll be able to switch instantly between playing a game and apps in most situations.

11 The Touch Pad on the DualShock 4 is a button.

12 PlayStation App is an iOS and Android app set to launch around the PS4, allowing you to use phones and tablets as a second screen, shop the PlayStation Store, and watch your friends play games online.

13 The PS4 has Cross Game Chat.

14 PS4 has always-on video compression and decompression systems, constantly processing your last few minutes of gameplay for easy sharing, even uploading it in the background.

15 PS4 has suspend mode, which means you can jump back into a game easily.

16 PS4 does updates and downloads in the background, or suspend mode.

17 PS4 will use Gaikai to stream "the best" PS3 games, with more legacy titles planned to be added later.

18 Existing PS+ memberships carry over to PlayStation 4, with a new game being added each month.

19 Sony Pictures Entertainment is working on new, original programming for the PlayStation 4.

20 There's more than 140 games in development for PS4.

post-9247-Why-don-t-we-have-both-LyiW.gif

No.

1) It cost more
2) I don't want always on / forced Kinect
3) Sony has better exclusives IMO
4) In general, I have been anti-Microsoft as of late
5) I believe Sony is more "gamer-oriented"
6) I don't like their Xbox Live practices (requires Gold for Netflix, etc)

Xbox Live paywall & required Kinect will keep me from ever choosing the Xbox One.

I'm just giving up on consoles...
I want a game machine, that's it... I've got media covered already.

Plus that stupid Required Kinect
I don't want it in my house. If I want to move and be seen and heard I'll go play outside.

PS4. If MS has tried their BS once, theyll try again and again and again until it finally works.

Honestly, I personally just hate the Sony exclusive games. I also don't want an Xbox One at launch. By next holiday season, I'll see what games are out and decide if I want one.

500.00bux for media content on XBOX1?

Lawd get a ROKU for 99.00bux on Amazon, it has moar media content. duh.

No, no chance.

Loved the 360 for years, always favoured it.

As time went by, Microsoft shut down more first party studios and you could see the switch towards media rather than games.

The XB1 was the nail in the coffin far as i'm concerned. No chance i'm paying more for weaker hardware just because of the name it carries. That is ridiculous.

Not a chance. MS has already lost me for a number of various reasons over the past several years... both related to Xbox (proprietary HDD, automatic renewal of XBL and making it difficult to cancel, not to mention a 100 other slimy policies they had in place) and other products (Ribbon and Metro make me want to gouge my eyes out not to mention holding PC gamers hostage with DirectX)

The whole Xbone fiasco was the last straw, honestly. I want nothing more to do with them

My 360 slim will be my last MS console (for the foreseeable future)

In the end, I believe you're going to see a lot of hatred for the Xbox One that will die down before the console is released. It will probably be responsible for (along with the price difference), a 20 to 30% difference in sales between the PS4 and Xbox One initially. Then, throughout the next few years, the games that come out for the systems will be the driving force for the consoles.

Remember, since the last generation came out, a console is no longer set in stone. The software running it is fluid and can change (for better or for worse). Also, the people running the companies are being replaced with alarming frequency. Also, people buy consoles to play games. If the games they want are on one specific console, that will be the console they will likely want too.

Article about exclusives just came out today. 360 had 12 console exclusive titles (not including Kinect) and PS3 had 56 (not including Move).

Honestly, I personally just hate the Sony exclusive games. I also don't want an Xbox One at launch. By next holiday season, I'll see what games are out and decide if I want one.

What you watched 300 some odd hours of gameplay from God of War, GT5, Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, LBP, Killzone, Infamous, etc. to come to that conclusion too?

What you watched 300 some odd hours of gameplay from God of War, GT5, Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, LBP, Killzone, Infamous, etc. to come to that conclusion too?

No, I played God of War, GT games and several incarnations of the rest. I don't like them. If you have a problem with someone not liking a god damned game, then go fuck yourself.

No, I played God of War, GT games and several incarnations of the rest. I don't like them. If you have a problem with someone not liking a god damned game, then go fuck yourself.

On what console? :p

You make it too easy, I was initially impressed but just can't take you seriously at all.

I might get a Xbox One its a wait and see for me. The DRM 180 hasnt changed that. Mostly its price and friend dependent (how many are still planning to get one). Otherwise I am fine with 3DS, Vita and PS4 for the coming gen. Weird since this gen I had all the gaming systems. Wii, 360 (many many 360s), multiple DS, PSP and the Go, and the PS3. This time I am not getting the WiiU and possibly the Xbox One.

No guarantee that Microsoft won't reverse their decision and implement all that BS after they have your money.

No sale.

You make it too easy, I was initially impressed but just can't take you seriously at all.

I played God of War 1 and 2 on PS2 and Gran Tourismo 1 and 2 on Playstation. These games I don't go into very much about why I don't like them because there's nothing "Wrong" with them so to speak, I'm just not the right audience. Fact is, no realistic racer keeps me interested, and I just don't care for beat 'em ups. Nothing against those games, just don't interest me.

LBP doesn't interest me much because I honestly find it hard to play any 2D platformer anymore.

Uncharted doesn't interest me at all. I never looked into it, so I have no real comment on it. Same with Infamous.

I played and watched a friend play through 2 Ratchet and Clank games and I just got bored really fast. I played an hour of Killzone and some other PS3 game and I just didn't care.

That's what sums up my experience with those games.

I know, right? Hate is a incredibly strong word... and you'd have to be pretty god damn immature and/or biased towards Playstation to deny how fantastic some of the PS exclusives are... I mean, just play Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us and if that doesn't convince you then you are a lost soul.

Article about exclusives just came out today. 360 had 12 console exclusive titles (not including Kinect) and PS3 had 56 (not including Move).

I have a feeling this is because Xbox 360 has a number of games that came out on PC as well as PS3 and could therefore not be considered an exclusive.

I played God of War 1 and 2 on PS2 and Gran Tourismo 1 and 2 on Playstation.

Yet hasn't played God of War 3 on PS3, or even played Gran Turismo 3 on Playstation 2 which in my opinion has been the best of the series. All the previous games you mentioned did suck even to me. You missed the best games in the series.

Uncharted doesn't interest me at all. I never looked into it, so I have no real comment on it. Same with Infamous.

No real comment on it, yet "hates all Playstation exclusives." Translated = I hate what I never played or even looked into. Never even played The Last Of Us but hates ALL Playstation exclusives.

That's what sums up my experience with those games.

OfficerBarbrady.gif

For me the decision was easy an xbox one. I've put way more time into my 360 then PS3 so I've been vested in the xbox live ecosystem. So to continue to use a microsoft platform was an easy decision for me.

On top of that most of the exclusives I like are on the xbox and the games that interest me on the PS4 are multiplatform titles.

Also personally I like the xbox controller better then the playstation controller. The xbox 360 controller is the best controller I've used to date. The xbox one controller is pretty much the same with some new features(Rumble triggers).

Nope. They shit all over gamers then only after enough outrage erupts, they reverse their stance. Sony on the other hand did none of this crap from the beginning so if for no other reason, I'd buy a PS4 to vote with my wallet and reward Sony for being "pro gamer" from the start.

For me the decision was easy an xbox one. I've put way more time into my 360 then PS3 so I've been vested in the xbox live ecosystem. So to continue to use a microsoft platform was an easy decision for me.

On top of that most of the exclusives I like are on the xbox and the games that interest me on the PS4 are multiplatform titles.

Also personally I like the xbox controller better then the playstation controller. The xbox 360 controller is the best controller I've used to date. The xbox one controller is pretty much the same with some new features(Rumble triggers).

No I totally understand and agree a lot of folks are wanting to stay in the same ecosystem. Like I mentioned I'd have bought a one on day 1 but there are far to many negatives.

I honestly think the 360 controller is the best designed controller in history. I hope that the new Dual shock controller feels great, they changed the ergonomics of it to better suit people with large hands.

They didn't flip the dpad and left analog stick but I can understand why.

I owned the original xbox, and enjoyed the few great games it had at the time. I got the 360 on launch and for the most part 360 has been good to me. That said I am not getting an xbox one, microsoft has sort of lost its way with me.

I don't play FPS games on the console, it's just not my thing. To me whatever console I get is an extension of my PC gaming, and for some games I do prefer console over PC. The forced kinect thing pisses me off. I do not want or need kinect. I do not need to pay 100 bucks more for something I don't want. The MS exclusives do not interest me, and the few I might get will probably be out on PC. MS has also sort of let thier exclusives go to waste the last few years.

The PS4 just does everything right this generation. It's cheaper, it has better hardware, it has an arguably better online component since xbox gold is rather steep pricewise in comparison.Sony's exclusives just interest me more, Infamous 3 looks like ridiculous fun, Naughty Dog is one of the best developers around lately.

I just can't find any reason for me to justify an xbox one. The only way one would definately sway me one way or the other would be exclusive RPG's, but those seem few and far between now, so PS4 for me.

Back