I'm BORED with the XBOX 360!?!?

Hate EA all you want, hate me all you want....but I WILL buy NCAA FOOTBALL and NCAA BASEBALL (in stores on January 20th) EVERY YEAR.

WHY?

Cause I like them. :D

alkoholik said:
I dont really see the fun of racing, re-racing the same exact track against the same exact cars just to get a better time....a 15 sec improvement or so....seems kinda pointless to me. WOW, I did the same track but 15 secs faster and I got 4,000 kudos to boot WOOT! Wow, big deal.

Again, thats not correct. I do enjoy complex games. I like HL2 and I really enjoyed Doom 3 but thats not to say that I think they are so much superior to their originals (graphics/physics aside). I think that PGR3 is just too repetitive and gets boring after awhile. How many times can you race the same tracks...oh wait, its at night or hey its in reverse or lets try to get more kudos or a faster time. I played MotoGP on the original xbox and I really liked it. Its basically the same game as PGR but on a motorcycle but I find it to be more fun then PGR3.

So you don't like PGR3 because it's repetitive but you like Moto GP which is "the same game but on a motorcycle?"

Anyway... Yeah it's not for everyone. There are tons of games I don't like for various reasons and I trust that you and everyone else is no different.

But what "old games" are you talking about that are superior to what we have available today? Geometry wars and smash tv are the definition of repetitive gaming...and you enjoy them? I don't understand your logic I guess. Doesn't make it right or wrong...I just don't understand it ;)

My logic isn't necessarily right or wrong either...It's just something I firmly believe that gaming has evolved but the great gameplay is still there IMO. Almost every single game is repetitive in some way... Sometimes that's why they're great. The only way to make a true non-repetitive game would be to make something where on Level 1 you're playing a side scroller, then level 2 it's an rts, level 3 an FPS...you get the picture. There aren't really any games that you can make a solid argument that they're not at all repetitive. I think it's just your (and others) perception of old games and how much you enjoyed them.

alkoholik said:
Make more games like:
Metal Gear Solids
GTAs
HL
even Halo for that matter had descent SP content

I agree with that idea but how does making more games LIKE existing ones count as innovation? HL is what 7+ years old?

Pop in an old NES 2d sidescroller, SNES RPG (Square's good days) or an N64 platformer like Mario 64 and then go right ahead and pop in Kameo or something, and tell me which you have more fun with, and is a more gratifying experience. Not to knock on Rare or Kameo in particular, but there's a difference.

Kameo.

Played some old games along with Sonic on the Gamecube and it was so freaking boring.

cb9fl said:
Kameo.

Played some old games along with Sonic on the Gamecube and it was so freaking boring.

Which "old games" and Sonic? I'd be willing to wager that the old Sonic has more gameplay time than a game such as Kameo, if you've got the patience to finish it.

I just hate how none of my more recent xbox games work on the 360. Like live 2004 working, but live 2006 being incompatible? Really don't want to have to buy the 360 versions of these games, so I'm holding out for one of the future updates.

steviep said:
Which "old games" and Sonic? I'd be willing to wager that the old Sonic has more gameplay time than a game such as Kameo, if you've got the patience to finish it.

I don't want to argue semantics here, but you guys are kind of debating apples and oranges.

The older games that keep coming up were a completely different ballpark altogether. Remember some of the old FFs and even Sonic, the list goes on and on. They were alot more puzzle like than most of todays games. I can vividly recall running about gathering up items to be assembled in a certain wall, then all flipped into the right sequence, as an example. Now mind you todays games still employ alot of this. FF, RE, they still use those types of puzzles but they are sparse compared to the older titles.

The only thing remotely hard in FFX was the last cloister, and alot of that was just fucking up timing in spanking your buttons.

I do agree the older games were cut from a different cloth, and alot of fun, but so are todays games. It is simply a different approach in gameplay.

I can certainly understand a person liking something I don't. But is it that hard for you to understand that some people including me simply don't enjoy many older games as much as some of the newer ones AND don't see some sort of rampant problem with modern gaming in general.

Forza runs like GARBAGE on my 360.. HORRIBLE frame rates in the "in car" view (the one that shows the road and the speedo only) and IMHO the graphics look WORSE than the original xbox.

WHich makes me mad because I had a guy lined up to give me $140 for my halo edition xbox...

Davenow said:
Forza runs like GARBAGE on my 360.. HORRIBLE frame rates in the "in car" view (the one that shows the road and the speedo only) and IMHO the graphics look WORSE than the original xbox.

WHich makes me mad because I had a guy lined up to give me $140 for my halo edition xbox...

:confused:

Well, it's the same reason why space sims and hardcore flight sims are dying out.

I mean, shouldn't Falcon 4 have been a BEGINNING of a revolution of ultra-realistic sims that require knowing everything about the actual aircraft to fly and fight? I loved the Falcons back when I had more time to play them. It breaks my heart that no one wants those games anymore.

And what the heck happened to space sims? We reached some kind of magic pinnacle with X-wing vs. Tie, and nothing continued from there. X2 and Freelancer tried hard, but what if you don't want a trading game?

Play the 2 Rogue Squadron games on the Gamecube... that's all that's left, pretty much, of that genre, without trading :)

There are a lot of genres that have been pretty much ignored lately, though (adventure games, for example).

Davenow said:

The 360 is the first console I've owned in 10 years.....and I had to pick up Forza cause Im all about driving games. I was pretty shocked at the low framerates but I thought that the console noobs wouldnt know any better but I find your post very interesting. I know for a fact that Halo 2 runs nice.....I wonder why Forza is so hosed?

Opie said:
The 360 is the first console I've owned in 10 years.....and I had to pick up Forza cause Im all about driving games. I was pretty shocked at the low framerates but I thought that the console noobs wouldnt know any better but I find your post very interesting. I know for a fact that Halo 2 runs nice.....I wonder why Forza is so hosed?

It's emulation...that's why.

Some games work well and some don't. Some of the games can't even be emulated...which is why the list of BC games isn't 100%

Sure its comparing apples to oranges but what else can you compare the games with? I think its that mindset of the gaming industry for where we are today. Compare Far Cry to Doom 3 to HL2 to FEAR to CoD2 etc....theyre all the same game....different settings/different graphics. What makes one game better then the other? Which one stands out and makes you want to buy one over the other? I mean theyre all based on virtually the same engines.

Back to the comment with the '72 Dolphins....sure if they lined up with the '06 Texans...it'd probably be a close game....match them up with one of the better teams (Colts) and they probably get spanked. But what distintion do those Dolphins have? Theyre the only undefeated team in NFL history. They did something that no other team has ever done and something that even the best teams of today can accomplish. What I'm trying to get at is that 72 team is the jewel of the past and even the best teams cant match it. Other teams have copied their formula for winning but have come up short. Compare that to todays games....they copy someone elses formula and come up short.

There just needs to be something new invented instead of rehashing the same ol same ol. If you really like buying a sequal or add on...well, thats your business. IMHO I just think youre wasting your money. Maybe the industry can come up with a MMORPG sidescroller or something...but like I said I'm not paid to come up with these things...I just shell out my cold hard cash to play em.

arentol said:
What the much of the media and most gamers still don't realize is that MS's goal with the 360 is not just to get into more homes, it's to get into FAR more peoples LIVES. The original Xbox was geared towards console gamers and really nobody else. The 360 offers features for virtually everyone in the modern family, from grandparents to children, and every stop inbetween.

Its things like the games in the marketplace, simple, fun, and eventually educational, that will put this system in 5 times as many homes as the Xbox, and, more importantly, in nearly 20 times as many lives. And you know MS will try to add features in the next version, 4 or 5 years from now, that will increase their penetration into daily life just as much as the 360 is going to do over the Xbox. I think what a lot of people still miss when discussing the PS3 vs. the 360 is that the PS3 will be a true gaming system. The 360 is already a 40/60, respectively, hybrid of home-entertainment and gaming, and in the Xbox's next incarnation I bet it will be more 60/40.

I also will be truly suprised if the 360 doesn't get a firmware and OS upgrade to make it a full blown Vongo enabled device. Think of the increased sales of hardware and services that added selling point would bring! It's completely win-win for MS, and it will increase their install base, and thus developer support, far more than just being a simple gaming system ever possibly could.

Yeah integrate into peoples lives. They are off to a great start, a lot of hardware failures and limited Xbox's. Awesome job Microsoft. It looks like they could have tried just a tad harder.

WorldRunner said:
So you don't like PGR3 because it's repetitive but you like Moto GP which is "the same game but on a motorcycle?"

Anyway... Yeah it's not for everyone. There are tons of games I don't like for various reasons and I trust that you and everyone else is no different.

But what "old games" are you talking about that are superior to what we have available today? Geometry wars and smash tv are the definition of repetitive gaming...and you enjoy them? I don't understand your logic I guess. Doesn't make it right or wrong...I just don't understand it ;)

I dont know theres just something about PGR3 that just makes it boring after awhile. I think its a fun game just not a game i can play more then 30 mins or so. I think what made MotoGP more fun for me was the actual speed of the game. It felt like you were on the back of that motorcycle and I think (could be wrong) they were the first to implement the blurred vision when you got to a certain speed.

I wasnt saying the older games were superior...I was just saying that they were more fun to play...esp for long periods of time. IMO less is better then more.

bboynitrous said:
Yeah integrate into peoples lives. They are off to a great start, a lot of hardware failures and limited Xbox's. Awesome job Microsoft. It looks like they could have tried just a tad harder.

Uhm, a 4% failure rate is on par with all electronics.....and as far as I know, Xbox's are in short supply because they actually stopped making them.

But then again, some people just like to complain and you really can't please everyone. Even if you try "just a tad harder".

Tiny said:
Uhm, a 4% failure rate is on par with all electronics.....and as far as I know, Xbox's are in short supply because they actually stopped making them.

But then again, some people just like to complain and you really can't please everyone. Even if you try "just a tad harder".

Who said it was 4%? Microsoft, right? :rolleyes:
That said, at least Microsoft is trying a bit to get ipod/psp connectivity and the such, and are trying really hard to make it into some kind of media PC. Whether that succeeds or fails without mod chips has yet to be seen, but it is certainly one positive aspect.

Advil said:
And what the heck happened to space sims? We reached some kind of magic pinnacle with X-wing vs. Tie, and nothing continued from there. X2 and Freelancer tried hard, but what if you don't want a trading game?

Freespace 2 was the last good one, I think. It's also one of my all-time favourite games.
I suspect Volition knew they weren't going to survive already before they started selling it: The EULA (either the on-disc or paper one) basically asks you to make copies for your friends. They even open sourced it just before they were bought out.

I'll have to try X3, though. It looks promising.
Freelancer was also suprisingly fun for a while. (It would also have made an interesting MMOSpaceSim, I think. Imagine Freelancer with an even larger world and player-built stations in unexpected places. I suspect EVE is as close as I'll get to that.)

steviep said:
Who said it was 4%? Microsoft, right? :rolleyes:
That said, at least Microsoft is trying a bit to get ipod/psp connectivity and the such, and are trying really hard to make it into some kind of media PC. Whether that succeeds or fails without mod chips has yet to be seen, but it is certainly one positive aspect.

Actually Microsoft said it was 3%.

The 4% comment was from different news sources.

And if anyone is bored with the Xbox360, go download the FightNight3 demo in the MarketPlace.

DOes anyone else, who HATED the other project gotham racing games, LIKE PGR3??
I HATED PGR1 and 2 for the horribly arcadey physics.
I LOVE PGR3 because it lost JUST enough of the arcade like physics to be enjoyable.
Dont get me wrong, its still FAR from a sim, but its fun for once :)

Probably because it isn't a SIM, nor does it protend to be.

Davenow said:
DOes anyone else, who HATED the other project gotham racing games, LIKE PGR3??
I HATED PGR1 and 2 for the horribly arcadey physics.
I LOVE PGR3 because it lost JUST enough of the arcade like physics to be enjoyable.
Dont get me wrong, its still FAR from a sim, but its fun for once :)

I got PGR at launch for the original xbox and I HATED it. Played PGR2 and it was ok....decided to get PGR3 for the 360 since everybody was raving about it and I wanted NFSMW for the PC....its clearly better then the first 2 and is an ok game....I just get bored after racing the same tracks over and over and over.

alkoholik you hit the nail on the head. Seriously, I want a 2-D scrolling Castlevania, Mario, Metroid (don't get me wrong Metroid Prime was awesome), and CONTRA! Imagine how cool these 2-D games would look with today's graphics power?

Konami, what are you waiting for? Give me Symphony of the Night 2 !!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tiny said:
Probably because it isn't a SIM, nor does it protend to be.

Did you even bother to read my post? Or did you just skim over it?
Because this reply makes no sense if you read what I said.

Alky, in response to your question about why people like the arcade titles so much, well heres why I do.

Before the live marketplace, if I wanted to play perfect version of SmashTV, Gauntlet, Robotron, and the other similar games up until now, I either had to turn to emulation, or buy compilation packs. This means swapping disks, or downloading and illegally running the roms, hunched at my computer desk to play.

The ability to turn the 360 on, and just pick from a list is grand. Geometry wars is Asteroids + Eye Candy coupled with armchair sumplicity and online live updated scoreboards listing everyone who has every played score. It's fun to compete, even if it isn't directly head to head. Asteroids was very popular, but needed a graphical update.

I can play puzzlers like bejeweled 2 and Hexic from my leather recliner without sitting at my PC, and I've always been addicted to those. I'm waiting for tetris and all the other fun stuff like that to show up.

I just find the whole process a fun diversion to the usual, and I can pick up and play any of them within about 10 seconds of turning the console on. I'm hoping the Revolution brings that same type of interface to me, and I'll be using the hell out of it if so.

Kahnvex I agree.

XBL arcade is a diversion based on old games. It's not bad by any means. It's great if only IMO a tad overpriced.

However it is BY NO MEANS innovative.

cb9fl said:
Kahnvex I agree.

XBL arcade is a diversion based on old games. It's not bad by any means. It's great if only IMO a tad overpriced.

However it is BY NO MEANS innovative.
The delivery of the content is somewhat innovative, in terms of ease of use and micropayments. The games, not at all. Not everything needs innovation IMO, and I'm happy to waste time with them doing something I know I like.

Kahnvex, I agree with your logic. The XBL is a great, easy and convenient way of getting these older games without having to download ROMs, pirate software, use an emulator or try and get that old NES not to blink the power on/power off and work. This could also explain why those atari's in a box hook up to tv with the audio/video cables are so popular.

Not to get all psychological and all but these older games dont remind me of my childhood and bring back memories and whatnot....I just think they are fun games that I can play for hours.

So part of the reason is that the games are easy to get, fun to play and they have a good price point...I'll definatly agree with you on that. Maybe these next gen games can follow this format......

PerfectCr said:
alkoholik you hit the nail on the head. Seriously, I want a 2-D scrolling Castlevania, Mario, Metroid (don't get me wrong Metroid Prime was awesome), and CONTRA! Imagine how cool these 2-D games would look with today's graphics power?

Konami, what are you waiting for? Give me Symphony of the Night 2 !!!!!!!!!!! :D

You're definately in need of a DS, it literally will be giving you all that you're looking for.
Pick-up and play titles are heavily underrated. How many times have we all just wanted to keep ourselves busy for 10-15 mins?

I seriously just want exact replicas of the old shit, with new graphics. I don't want upgrades in any area except Audio and Video, nothing else. I know that will never happen, but I would love for it too. Maybe if they could do an entire a pack with old school nes games but with Next Gen graphics, then it might fly.

I love the remakes that are showing up on the DS, but I just can't get into playing it while sitting at my house.

The one exception for me is that I WILL be buying the FF6 remake. (is it really three or actually 6?)

Davenow said:
Did you even bother to read my post? Or did you just skim over it?
Because this reply makes no sense if you read what I said.

Yes I did, and it actually does.

Kahnvex said:
I seriously just want exact replicas of the old shit, with new graphics. I don't want upgrades in any area except Audio and Video, nothing else. I know that will never happen, but I would love for it too. Maybe if they could do an entire a pack with old school nes games but with Next Gen graphics, then it might fly.

I love the remakes that are showing up on the DS, but I just can't get into playing it while sitting at my house.

The one exception for me is that I WILL be buying the FF6 remake. (is it really three or actually 6?)

Heh, you would think that a handheld would be useless around the house, eh? I thought so too. In fact, I never thought that I'd use a handheld. But my little brother's GBA SP hand-me-down changed that pretty quickly, when I got him a DS. 2 places where I play most? The bedroom, and the can (replaces newspapers/magazines?) :D Occasionally relaxing and sitting on the couch as well. Regardless, if you're interested in the games that are coming out on the DS (and the incredible ressurection of 2D sidescrollers with updated visuals and sound) you should still get one - I certainly haven't regretted my decision, despite the fact that I don't often spend time on long trips (where I'm not driving myself) or on trains and such. Though it did come in handy during boxing day shopping with the girlfriend :eek:

^^ I agree totally. I thought that it was fluff as well, then I got a DS and use it quite often. Hell, I often play AC while doing the news. ;)

steviep said:
You're definately in need of a DS, it literally will be giving you all that you're looking for.
Pick-up and play titles are heavily underrated. How many times have we all just wanted to keep ourselves busy for 10-15 mins?
Oh yeah, I do have the GB Micro, and I enjoy all the 2-D games there, I am talking about 2-D games on current consoles in all their glory! Imagine Contra, Metroid and Castlevania, TWIWTBP!

PerfectCr said:
Oh yeah, I do have the GB Micro, and I enjoy all the 2-D games there, I am talking about 2-D games on current consoles in all their glory! Imagine Contra, Metroid and Castlevania, TWIWTBP!

With all the emphasis on graphics (esp. with the X360 and PS3) you won't be seeing a ressurection of sidescrollers any time soon. People demand cutting edge 3D graphics, otherwise there wouldn't be such a push to get these new consoles out the door. The GBA Micro is great, but you should definately consider a DS. In fact, early next year, the newest Mario game will come out, and it will be a 2D sidescroller once again (a TRUE sequel!) and apparently will have some kind of wifi multiplayer as well ;)

That, and Geometry Wars (f'n addictive!), are a good way to kill time while waiting for some more good X360 software :)

The Revolution and the DS fit the bill of almost everyone's desires/gripes/hopes. Nintendo has stated a number of times that they plan to offer older games with updated graphics and audio, and I personally can't wait. Innovation can only be kept at bay so long by marketing and hype, that time is now... people are finally tired of over-hyped systems with 1 decent game and an entry fee of over $500.

My game setup includes one of almost every console from Atari 2600-> except for the 360 and most likely a PS3. The systems that get used (abused) the most are the 2600, NES, GC, and Neo Geo. Its amazing how well games like Combat can hold up to this day. We were all just talking about how if someone would just create an updated version of 2D combat we would be all over it. Just better graphics, perfect control, and maybe have some terrain effects.... that's all. Don't try to make it 3D, or add 40 weapons power-ups, or any gimmicky doo-dad's just basic improvements.

That always seems to be the big problem they try to "remake" a classic by making it 3D, or ruining the controls, or mucking up the gameplay... I think what most people want are games like Geometry wars. Simple, addictive games that don't deviate very far from the core original game.

The average person, the casual gamers, and hardcore gamers alike always tend to rally around one or two titles each console and the formula is always the same. The Revolution seems to be set to do just that, now we just have to wait to see if Nintendo can execute it.

Back