I'm bored with RB6 and open world games (GTAV, W3, etc). Any good linear shooters?

Doom 4 - awesome SP campaign, great game overall, excellent throwback to the mindless fun FPS games of old
Wolfenstein:NO and Wolfenstein:OB - should be available for cheap depending where you buy them.
TiFa2 SP campaign - excellent reviews but not worth paying full price for SP only
CoD:IW SP campaign - great reviews but not worth paying full price for SP only

Though I hate all the endless the cut-scenes, I'm having a decent mindless time with Crysis 3. Though, going outside may be your best bet if you're bored with the best game of 2015 (Witcher 3)

Not sure what you have played and what you are looking for but some decent choices are:

Doom 2016
Wolfenstein NO and OB
Titanfall 2
COD MWR
COD IW
Division (is open world but progression is very linear if you are doing run up to Level 30)
Quantum Break
Uncharted 4 (ignore because console only)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Gears of War 4

Though none of them except Doom and Rise of the Tomb Riader is worth full price (to me). But then again you can get Doom or ROTTR for 20 or slightly more if you know where to look.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Doom (2016)
Crysis 3
Shadow Warrior

CoD:IW was a huge surprise to me. I bought it for CoD4:MW Remastered which was a mistake after Infinity Ward decided it shouldn't have dedicated server support. Still, I am enjoying the single player CoD4:MW experience since I haven't played it in years. Infinite War was the real shocker though. It's a science fiction game that resembles previous CoD games to an extent. It's even less linear than previous CoD games in that you can choose what order many of the missions are done in. Its visually stunning, runs pretty good and is just a lot of fun. I don't know if its worth full price but I couldn't have been more surprised by the experience. I'm really enjoying it.

Doom (2016) is exactly what you'd expect from a modernized Doom game. They left nothing out. Its visually spectacular and just plain entertaining. I don't much care for the multiplayer experience as it was modernized too much and something about it just feels off about it. It has the unlocks you'd expect for the CoD kiddies and doesn't feel like a proper twitch / arena shooter.

Crysis 3 is the oldest game on this list by far, but it was surprisingly good. The game still looks great and still lets you take multiple approaches to objectives as the first game did, albeit in a more confined area. I don't replay single player games very often but I've run through Crysis 3 a few times now.

The poster above mentioned the Metro series. I need to give these a shot myself. I enjoyed Metro 2033 for the most part but I got stuck on one part of it and just gave up on it. I'm fairly certain something else came along and distracted me from finishing that one.

Shadow Warrior is a hilarious game that's a reboot of a classic 1990's shooter by the same name. The protagonist is named "Hung Lo" to start with. It's graphics are okay and it probably doesn't have much replay value but if you can find it cheap its definitely worth running through.

Hard Reset is another one to checkout. I know there is an upgraded edition of that on Steam or something. I never finished it for the same reasons I never finished Metro 2033, but its on my list of games to go back and replay.

Far Cry Blood Dragon is free on uPlay.

Beat it over the weekend blazed off my ass. Worth.

If you want to hit the wayback machine for a truly excellent and underrated FPS, try Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. You probably could pick it up for $5 bucks or less.

Shadow Warrior (2013) and Shadow Warrior 2 (2016) are both over the top ridiculous but have really solid mechanics.

Doom and the Shadow Warrior games for sure. Crysis 3 still looks and plays great. Blood Dragon is fun and free. The Call of Duty games are linear and amusing in small doses. Battlefield, too.
Not sure I'd go after Tomb Raider if you're looking for a straight shooter. It's more of a sandbox game with shooting elements. The new one is also incredibly easy. I'm only an average shooter player and had no trouble at all beating the game on hard using a pad. With a mouse it would have been unfair.
Gears is okay, but it's also fairly easy and uneven content-wise. Like Tomb Raider, I'm nothing special and I cruised through it with a pad.
I haven't played Titanfall 2, but the first game seemed like it would have made for a great single-player game if they actually had that mode.

I can't decide if I should go with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or GoW4 for my next playthrough. Been playing a shit ton of BF1 and CoD:IW, getting bored with multiplayer.

I can't decide if I should go with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or GoW4 for my next playthrough. Been playing a shit ton of BF1 and CoD:IW, getting bored with multiplayer.
BF1 and COD:IW both have single player, too. You could play through those...

BF1 and COD:IW both have single player, too. You could play through those...
Oh, I should have said I did play through both campaigns too. I actually really enjoyed the IW campaign, it was fantastic, albeit short. BF1 was pretty meh, but definitely has better multiplayer. The MP in both are just wearing on me already.

So far (5 minutes in) Blood Dragon is the best thing that's ever happened.

If you enjoy it, definitely check out Shadow Warrior (2013) and Shadow Warrior 2 (2016). SW2 had /way/ better level design from what I've seen, though -- I unfortunately played them out of order.

Dude this was the best recommendation thank you. This game was hella fun and for free? wow. It was short. i finished it in 2 days but what great fun for free

Awesome. Try the Shadow Warrior games then, as others have suggested. Might be right up your alley

OP here. Shadow warrior is awesome too. lots of good tips in this thread. it only costs $5 bucks and runs at 4K DSR on my rig

Back