I'm at a loss: Windows install

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying since yesterday to get Windows to install on a SATA drive. I finally got a floppy hooked up and installed the necessary drivers after pressing F6 and it seemed like it worked.

Windows goes through the entire install process. It does seem slow but it completes. But when it is finally finished and gets back to the windows boot screen the status bar doesn't even get half way before the PC restarts back to BIOS.

If I go into safe mode, I can see the system partition I created but it only shows about 2GB being used up which leads me to believe that Windows is not fully installed. Why in the world is this happening? Why am I being faked out with only a partial install?

I wan't to embrace this god damn SATA technology but why must it be so difficult. This is one last cry for help before I put in my trust old IDE HD and install Windows on it.

Tried installing on the IDE hard drive and the same thing happend. My next guess at the problem is the somewhat cheesy IDE cable I'm using for my CD rom drive. It's possible the data isn't transferring correctly, at least that's my new theory. Going to swap it out and try again.

Looks like my hunch may have been correct. After swapping IDE cables Windows finally booted properly. Now if only this bitch of a Chaintech mobo would boot with 1GB of RAM.

Try running Memtest86 (Google it, free CD ISO download) and see if the RAM tests out ok. You may have a bad stick of RAM which would cause a lot of your problems.

Considering you're posting, you must have another machine somewhere that you have access to and should be able to burn the image to a CD.

The_Mage18 said:
Try running Memtest86 (Google it, free CD ISO download) and see if the RAM tests out ok. You may have a bad stick of RAM which would cause a lot of your problems.

Considering you're posting, you must have another machine somewhere that you have access to and should be able to burn the image to a CD.
Both sticks have worked flawlessly in a number of other systems. I'll explore further.

Back