I'm an Unlock Xbox 2009 Top 8 Finalist

That's awesome for you and very cool concept for the game. One thing though, from my understanding the Lasso Missile is like the ultimate weapon, but once you have it like defeats the purpose of your previous weapons. For example, you have the fly-by-wire which can only do right angle straight lines to reach weak spots. Once you have the flexibility of the lasso missile which enables you to do more dynamic, fluid movements the fly-by-wire is forgotten. I think the game would be more interesting if you have to utilize the weapons for specific situations, so it keeps your arsenal fresh and leaves open for more interesting puzzles.

Correct me if I am missing something though, this idea is pretty cool! Keep up there though! Good luck.

I went and voted for the [H]'er and I don't give a hoot about his game. Until it's made...

One thing though, from my understanding the Lasso Missile is like the ultimate weapon, but once you have it like defeats the purpose of your previous weapons. For example, you have the fly-by-wire which can only do right angle straight lines to reach weak spots. Once you have the flexibility of the lasso missile which enables you to do more dynamic, fluid movements the fly-by-wire is forgotten.

Well, the thing is, is the lasso is full analog and guided by you manually at all times, whereas the fly by wire you only control the occasionally turn, it flies in straight lines of it's own accord. So the plan is to keep mixing in enemies that would have weak points that would be really hard to hit with full control because it would be easy to hit the sides with just one errant manuever, but who wouldn't require near as much effort with the fly by wire flying in a straight line.

I actually have a few other ways to differentiate the two so you'd keep using the fly by wire even after you get the lasso laser. In fact I'm thinking of drawing up some diagrams for you guys to show off what I think is a cool boss that would really illustrate that concept. A multi-stage boss that would need both the lasso laser and the fly by wire working in tandem to destroy.

Thanks for the comment though, it's definitely a valid point and something I've thought about quite a bit.

Hold on a minute now, I still have 7 other pitches to watch...

The sad thing is this, contest entry condition #1: "Entrants register and submit their ideas for DORITOS® brand-inspired video games."

Even though your idea is the most interesting to me out of all the pitches it is one of the least likely to lend itself to Dorito's "extreme" branding. I still want to see yours win, man.

I actually really want to play this game; definitely voting for you

Registered, but haven't received a confirmation email yet. If I don't have one tomorrow, guess I'll try signing up again.

EDIT: Took a few hours, but it came. Voted for ya. Good luck!

Last edited:
Registered, but haven't received a confirmation email yet. If I don't have one tomorrow, guess I'll try signing up again.

Weird man, it was instant for me and everyone I've talked to.

Glad you dig it though, hopefully it lets you confirm.

The sad thing is this, contest entry condition #1: "Entrants register and submit their ideas for DORITOS® brand-inspired video games."

Even though your idea is the most interesting to me out of all the pitches it is one of the least likely to lend itself to Dorito's "extreme" branding. I still want to see yours win, man.

That's actually not really a big thing. We were told that our game doesn't have to feature any kind of Doritos branding at all, that we could put it in if it fit our idea but it wouldn't increase our chances.

Basically they just want games that "exemplify the Doritos mentality", which really just translates to "good game ideas".

I feel that my game stands quite well on it's own so I didn't bother with any Doritos branding in my pitch. However, I will say that while I was in Seattle working on my pitch I was skipping breakfast every morning so I'd have more time for work in my hotel room, and the only thing I had for breakfast each day was Doritos chips, haha. So my game idea was definitely fueled by Doritos :p.

I'm usually not one for marketing stuff, but that's the honest truth.

Titular Artifact? Seriously? That's awesome.

Haha yeah, I showed that to someone and they said "You just had to work 'tit' in there somewhere didn't you?".

From POV right now, you and the guy who wants to make Thrown are going to win. How it probably should be IMO. The sniper car one sounds too...complicated.

i'm not getting any sound

Hmm, I don't know man, I haven't had that complaint from anyone else yet :confused:.

I wish I could help you out so you could hear my lovely voice :p. Definitely give us a heads up if you figure out the problem so if anyone else runs into it we can tell them what to do.

Congrats on making it, I really hope you succeed.

Just one tip. I noticed this throughout the judges response, you kept cutting the judges off. If I was a judge there I would find this pretty annoying. I know nerves play a huge part espeically if you're not use to these types of presentations but just fyi next time let the person finish what their saying before you start talking.

Btw, that girl judge is smokin!

I watched two other guys and just wow. At first I thought your silly msPaint art was halarious. The other peoples pitch video just made me lol.

Voted for you!

Awesome.

I think your idea is an actual full game. The others seems like mini games. So judging from that I think you will win, but it has a hate it or love it control scheme. Bad or iffy controls often kill great games. We really would like to see a mock up of this game to see your vision of how to control the missiles and laser. I also like the other idea Thrown, lol. It's going to come down to The Artifact and Thrown.

I voted for you man! You have the best idea, I hope you win. I try and remind myself to keep casting votes.

I love the idea man! Any game that is pitched as challenging is right up my alley... I'm already kinda visualizing the game from your description... Have you considered mouse keyboard control as well, or are you mainly focused on the controls with a controller? I haven't read this thread, so I might have missed someone asking that, in which case ignore that question.. :)

Also, have you considered integrating other view aspects other than top view in certain parts of the game? Although most views don't allow for the correct field of view to control two things at once, but 2D side scrolling perhaps could be possible? I'm definitely excited for this to work for you dude, as if it does work and this becomes a great game, everyone wins! The story in my opinion could really be anything science fiction, futuristic, alternate dimensional steampunk... lol.. From ships with different environmental controls like on water, zero gravity, Icy or slippery, or as a predictable slow guided movement similar to mechwarrior... I need some sleep..

Controlling the guided missles (as a passenger) in Battlefield 2 has always been one of my favorite parts of the game, but it was boring and aggrivating to not be able to control the chopper itself and be limited by what your pilot was doing. It would have been nice to have this concept in that game.

You can do both in the single player mode of BF2, switch positions in chopper then control missles, but its a little awkward.

I'm feeling the concept of this game (The Artifact) .

Controlling the guided missles (as a passenger) in Battlefield 2 has always been one of my favorite parts of the game, but it was boring and aggrivating to not be able to control the chopper itself and be limited by what your pilot was doing. It would have been nice to have this concept in that game.

You can do both in the single player mode of BF2, switch positions in chopper then control missles, but its a little awkward.

I'm feeling the concept of this game (The Artifact) .

Hah, yeah, I almost mastered the art of piloting and gunning at the same with with TV missiles in BF2. You can do it online too, it's just a frowned upon sometimes and might get you kicked in some servers, lol.

Anyways, good idea from what I've seen. I think it definitely has the potential to win the contest and the next best thing I've see in a game as been in Bionic Commando: Rearmed (on Steam, 360 arcade, and PSN) where you get that rocket launcher at the end and can control the rockets in mid-flight to get to enemy weak spots.

Good luck!

Voted as well... Seeing that one of the judges is involved with the Project Natal maybe you could come up with a way to use the new controller.

1080p@60fps plz! :D

I voted yesterday, I do like the idea of a high level of control though. Many games could use this kinda thing. It would make gameplay so much more interesting because it's more complicated yet it's still possible to get a hang of like riding a bike.

Voted for a fellow [H]'r and a fellow shoot em up fan. Mars Matrix was my favorite shoot em up, this game idea that you have kinda reminds me of the best part of MM, which was using your black hole bomb to gather and fling enemy fire back at them. This gets me all excited :D Good luck!

Sounds like Ikaruga on steroids!

I'd love to vote for this, but I don't live in the USA and the site is somewhat prejudiced (xenophobic perhaps) about non-USAers.

If this idea does win, consider the idea of multiple CO-OP modes, à la Double Dash. For example, simple 2-player fun makes sense. You then need to consider the possibility of one player controlling the ship and the other controlling the weapon. This would mostly be for an older player playing with a younger player, but would make the game much more open-ended to a younger audience and not just pro or older gamers. You also need to consider local play as well as LAN modes and internet play. There's no point having just a local co-op mode these days.

Hope you win though. I may not have a 360 (as honestly I'm just not that type of pro-gamer and more a PC gamer kind of guy), but gaming needs innovation like this.

Kindly regards

Sounds like Ikaruga on steroids!

Oh yeah, I love Ikaruga! I once broke a TV turning it on it's side for hours to play Ikaruga in it's vertical mode back on the Dreamcast, haha.

You then need to consider the possibility of one player controlling the ship and the other controlling the weapon.

Yeah I actually discussed that with one of the game consultants and I think it could be a cool mode to add in and really wouldn't be that hard to pull off.

You also need to consider local play as well as LAN modes and internet play.

Co-op will definitely be both local and over Live, no worries there ;).

I'm going to try and reply to everyone else's comments and questions later today. I really didn't expect this kind of support so it's a little overwhelming but of course at the same time VERY much appreciated. So really, thanks again to all of you.

Got a vote from me! Yours was the coolest despite my bias for a fellow [H]'er. :D

I wish you had made this game 15 years ago, when no game was impossible for me :)

Sadly, these days I've lost a step or two, and I just don't have the time to learn memorization shooters like I used to. I don't think I could be coordinated enough and patient enough for something this hard.

But I wish you luck. There are still plenty of 15-year-old gamers out there who will love you for this.

Thanks for replying to my comments there ManCannon =)

I'm actually tempted to put an American address in at random into the site so I can vote for you as I'd genuinely love to see this developed. I'm not worried about winning an Xbox, so some random person can have it lol!

Just remember the little people here at [H] when you hit the big time. ;) Kudos on bringing an idea from your gray matter to life and hope you win, (yes I vote for you) :D

Back