Im an Apple hater and i bought an iPhone (AKA how the bionic turned me off android)

So yeah... My long winded rant of what led an Apple hater to an iPhone. Who knows maybe the honeymoon phase will end and i will hate it and trade it but so far it just works when i need it to unlike so many android phones i have had.

It's always interesting reading vastly different experiences. I really love my Galaxy S and am surprised you weren't satisfied with it. I really can't imagine much it needs to improve on [for its age]. To be honest, I'll be sad to see the little guy go when it's time to upgrade.

But the iPhone is a great phone so if even that doesn't measure up, you're just a smartphone hater. ;)

o_O you must've gone to a bad store, I've never had anything but a pleasant experience with apple, even got a $300 repair on my old MB for free OUT OF WARRANTY and a $100 replacement on an iPhone4 ALSO out of warranty and off-contract.

Wow, where did you run into this? The Apple store by me is crawling with employees trying to help people and the Genius Bar has fixed a few friend's Macs out of warranty for a nominal fee.

The only problem ocurred when some out of warranty Macbook Pros (the first ones with intel CPUs) had the batteries expand and destroy the laptop.

Over the phone (woman put me on hold for 15 minutes, to talk to a supe about replacing the 3G that apple bricked with the OS4 update), only to be told "There's nothing we can do," I said "WP7 just earned a pre-order, and I'll never buy apple again,." Customer service bitch said "LOL"

Apple store at Tyson's Corner mall in Virginia...

Me: "I'd really like to get a replacement iphone 3G, since your official update on my non-jailbroken phone totally wrecked my shit."

So-called Genius: "Gosh, I can't replace your phone or anything like that, but if you buy this shiny new iphone 4, all your troubles will go away!!"

Me: "I'm not up for an upgrade for 6 more months, AT&T refused to give me an early upgrade since it's not their problem, it's an apple problem, and my wife and I can't afford to buy a $500 phone right now."

So-called Genius: "Well that's just tough shit for you then, asshole. Next please!!"

You guys also couldn't be more right about the sheer number of people just hanging out at a fucking apple store...good god, get a life.

Stories are more credible without the "Well, that's just tough shit for you then, asshole. Next please!!". I'm sure that's exactly how the conversation went.

Meanwhile, my girl got an iPad given to her (refurb, gen1 64GB) for free for being part of an educational organization. It was given to her about 18 months ago, with no warranty, to help her teach her students. Well, a few months ago the screen cracked. We went to the Genius bar, I explained the situation, and the guy just walked off. We were talking about how absolutely rude he was, when he appeared with another iPad saying "There was definitely no evidence of physical damage, so of course we'll replace this for you for free".

No warranty. Cracked screen. Free replacement without any hesitation. Say what you will about Apple (and I still hate their business practices and elitist attitudes) but that was the perfect example of going above & beyond.

Sounds to me you wern't helping the situation either. :rolleyes:

Hey, I asked nicely both times. No foul language or anything like that.

Stories are more credible without the "Well, that's just tough shit for you then, asshole. Next please!!". I'm sure that's exactly how the conversation went.

Meanwhile, my girl got an iPad given to her (refurb, gen1 64GB) for free for being part of an educational organization. It was given to her about 18 months ago, with no warranty, to help her teach her students. Well, a few months ago the screen cracked. We went to the Genius bar, I explained the situation, and the guy just walked off. We were talking about how absolutely rude he was, when he appeared with another iPad saying "There was definitely no evidence of physical damage, so of course we'll replace this for you for free".

No warranty. Cracked screen. Free replacement without any hesitation. Say what you will about Apple (and I still hate their business practices and elitist attitudes) but that was the perfect example of going above & beyond.

OK, you're right, I embellished. Slow clap for you. Doesn't change the fact that my barely-out-of-warranty phone that THEY broke with their official OS release, was not replaced. The only option given to me was to buy an iphone 4 at full price. Fuck. That.

Grats for your girl, must be great to have titties. Titties get shit done :D Maybe if I had a pair I'd still be buying apple.

The one thing I wouldn't complain about Apple is their CS. I don't like Apple, but I feel like their CS is usually pretty helpful/willing to help.

I like the part were OP complains about WP7 not having expandable memory, and then goes with an iphone which has no expandable memory.

sounds like excuse making.

Holy crap... reading two posts from you and I'm actually thinking they really might have called you an asshole. Like I said, *I* was talking to the guy at the Genius bar. And while I might need to lose a few Lbs, my tits aren't getting anything done. But hey, good job being a dick on a forum. :rolleyes:

Hey, I asked nicely both times. No foul language or anything like that.

OK, you're right, I embellished. Slow clap for you. Doesn't change the fact that my barely-out-of-warranty phone that THEY broke with their official OS release, was not replaced. The only option given to me was to buy an iphone 4 at full price. Fuck. That.

Grats for your girl, must be great to have titties. Titties get shit done :D Maybe if I had a pair I'd still be buying apple.

Holy crap... reading two posts from you and I'm actually thinking they really might have called you an asshole. Like I said, *I* was talking to the guy at the Genius bar. And while I might need to lose a few Lbs, my tits aren't getting anything done. But hey, good job being a dick on a forum. :rolleyes:

Shit, my bad. The last part was meant to be a joke and the "slow clap" part was rude. Sorry man. I'm really a damn nice guy, but just thinking of how Apple bent me over brings out my dick side.

For the record I did ask nicely for a replacement 3G, both on the phone and in person. Over the phone I was told they couldn't do anything to fix the problem they caused. The bitch did laugh when I told her I'd never be back. The guy in the store DID refuse to replace my phone, and he did tell me my ONLY option was to buy an iPhone 4 at full price.

At that point, I did stop being polite.

I like the part were OP complains about WP7 not having expandable memory, and then goes with an iphone which has no expandable memory.

Whether or not it has removable memory, they do at least give you a choice of how much memory you can have. I don't recall seeing a particular Windows Phone having multiple options in this regard.

Whether or not it has removable memory, they do at least give you a choice of how much memory you can have. I don't recall seeing a particular Windows Phone having multiple options in this regard.

I guess it is better to offer double the storage for $100 more....

You're right it's a fair point. However there were several where you could swap out the main SD card, though it required opening the case of course. Yes some of them literally just had an SD card in for main storage, probably because at some point maybe they did want to offer differing sizes. However even being offered 64GB you know someone is going to whine about it. My MP3 collection is closer to 400GB I think and oh no I can't take them all with me! At some point we're all just going to have to get used to cloud computing and being limited to ONLY like 24 hours of straight music on our devices. :p

I guess it is better to offer double the storage for $100 more....

And Google charges $50 to jump from 8GB to 16GB in the Nexus 7...

There are valid reasons for self-contained memory as it definitely makes it easier for the OS developers, as even stated by Google themselves when the Google Nexus came without microSD. Even the early Windows Phone 7 phones that you could swap the memory out of required a certain speed/class of compatible microSD cards.

Whether this increased memory is worth the amount these companies want to charge, is not really what is being discussed in this thread and is definitely open to its own debate.

There are valid reasons for self-contained memory as it definitely makes it easier for the OS developers, as even stated by Google themselves when the Google Nexus came without microSD. Even the early Windows Phone 7 phones that you could swap the memory out of required a certain speed/class of compatible microSD cards.

Whether this increased memory is worth the amount these companies want to charge, is not really what is being discussed in this thread and is definitely open to its own debate.
This

SD cards on Android are absolutely useless. The OS doesn't use it at all. The only reason why you'd want a SD card is if you carry around your entire Linux ISO collection with you.

This

SD cards on Android are absolutely useless. The OS doesn't use it at all. The only reason why you'd want a SD card is if you carry around your entire Linux ISO collection with you.

LOL. You can put something crazy called movies and music on them. But sounds useless.

I don't care what Google has to say on the subject of sd cards. They are clearly pushing their cloud services over local storage. And Android DOES use the sd card, you can tell the camera to store pictures to it, use it for offline music, browser cache and all sorts of things.

I just remembered that one of the best original Windows Phones (Samsung Focus) actually did have an SD slot and you could max the phone out at 48GB. Sadly no other WP7 vendors went that route because it was too much work I guess and dumb users would screw themselves. :(

Anyway back on topic, fuck the iPhone! :p (kidding)

I like the part where you take what I said out of context for your own agenda. Go actually read what I said. :rolleyes:

Oh and lol at wp7 fans idea of "upgradable storage" all you have to do is void your warranty, pop the phone open then swap out the internal sdcard (which btw is yet another reason not to buy wp7. NAND flash is much faster) and then hope you got a card your phone will play nice with.

I did upgrade my hd2 it's not as simple as the fans here claim.

You could have just titled it as "I got an iPhone and here is why" instead of this bullshit of "I was an Apple hater!"

You are seriously asking to get flamed with a title like that and the responses you post.

You could have just titled it as "I got an iPhone and here is why" instead of this bullshit of "I was an Apple hater!"

You are seriously asking to get flamed with a title like that and the responses you post.

It's relevant to the discussion. Search my posts over the years I have railed the iPhone and mocked its fans and here I am.

It's relevant to the discussion. Search my posts over the years I have railed the iPhone and mocked its fans and here I am.

Have you ever used it before?(an iPhone, or is this your first one?)

Man I wish I could care about my phone enough to write a big story about it and annoy 6 pages of people lol

I think the iphones are brilliant but cant justify the prices. Got a 16 gb xperia t free on 3uk contract with true unlimited tethering and internet, bought a 64gb micro sd new, so have a total of 80gb. A 64gb iphone 5 on the same price contract on 02 would cost £350 upfront and you only get 1gb internet. Theres better phones out there than the iphone 5 that just work, youre just paying for the name. Its just a pity the op went with the worst android phones and got sucked in by the carrier/salesman.

Last edited:
This

I have just recently learned this.

While I've always griped that the i devices didn't have expandable storage, at least it's a relatively flat memory model that can actually be USED.

IMHO, the memory model of the Android OS is a joke. It reminds me of the bad old DOS days of memory fracture.

The SD Card slot is one of the primary things that steered me towards an Android. Oh, well. At least I can put music on it. Don't need to, google play and all, but at least I could. My 16GB card doesn't have a thing on it.

I have just recently learned this.

While I've always griped that the i devices didn't have expandable storage, at least it's a relatively flat memory model that can actually be USED.

IMHO, the memory model of the Android OS is a joke. It reminds me of the bad old DOS days of memory fracture.

The SD Card slot is one of the primary things that steered me towards an Android. Oh, well. At least I can put music on it. Don't need to, google play and all, but at least I could. My 16GB card doesn't have a thing on it.
Not sure why it's so hard to get people to understand this. Like I said - useless unless you want to carry around Linux ISOs (movies, etc.)

SOME apps will give you the option of storing things like picture on the SD card - in reality, how many pictures do you need to store? Mine are automatically uploaded to picassa, they can pretty much be deleted immediately after I take them.

Not sure why it's so hard to get people to understand this. Like I said - useless unless you want to carry around Linux ISOs (movies, etc.)

SOME apps will give you the option of storing things like picture on the SD card - in reality, how many pictures do you need to store? Mine are automatically uploaded to picassa, they can pretty much be deleted immediately after I take them.

Tell that to the people that have a 1gb or less data cap (which is probaly the majority of phone users) . Stream a couple of movies whilst your out and about then youd wish you had expandable storage!! Streaming isnt the way for everyone you know. Most of Tue world doesnt even have movie and mp3 streaming.

Tell that to the people that have a 1gb or less data cap (which is probaly the majority of phone users) . Stream a couple of movies whilst your out and about then youd wish you had expandable storage!! Streaming isnt the way for everyone you know. Most of Tue world doesnt even have movie and mp3 streaming.
This. It's seriously boggling my mind that anyone is declaring local storage "useless" in 2012. I have a 2 GB data cap, and due to the amount of driving/traveling I do, I have to be conservative just to make sure I don't blow it with casual use (browsing, etc.). Forget about streaming videos or music as a routine thing.

With a 32 GB microSD card that runs under $1/GB, I can have my entire music library of 300+ albums, along with a few of my favorite HD movies, ready to go at a moment's notice. Plus, let's be honest: smartphones are basically just pocket-size computers these days. There's no limit to what you can do with them, and storage is often the limiting factor. How about ROMs for N64 emulators, and perhaps even Wii emulators in the future? How about detailed street-level offline mapping for navigation that doesn't blow through my data cap when I travel cross-country (and drop signal in the middle of Kansas, leaving me empty-handed)? If wanting to keep my options open on these fronts makes me an overindulgent geek, so be it. I call it making the most of a $700 device.

As an AT&T customer who just upgraded, this was a significant factor in swaying me toward the S3 and away from the One X. I'll pay $25 for that extra 32 GB, thank you very much, rather than the $100 that Apple, HTC et al. want. (And yes, I realize that internal storage is better, all else being equal, but it's really a wash for data storage -- much like how we don't buy 512 GB SSDs to store our pr0n collections).

Okay, I'll admit I'm one of the confused. Why would you want an SD card if not for using it as storage?

It's not like you're going to install 64 GB worth of apps.

If you want to buy something, get in, and get out, Apple Store's are kinda neat. They do everything from their iPhones including the scanning and invoicing.
My experiences have been the exact opposite. There is no order or structure to the stores and customers wander around aimlessly trying to get simple tasks done. The last time I was in there a other customers were complaining about how much of a cluster fuck the entire store was.

I'm in the exact same position. I love android... where it started and how its evolving... its beautiful to watch.

But because Apple has just that 1 platform to work on... their phones are so much more stable.

Back