Im an Apple hater and i bought an iPhone (AKA how the bionic turned me off android)

I'm one of those that are currently on the fence with either phones.

I had an iPhone 4 for a long time with a jailbroken 5.1.1 Worked to my standards and frankly I had no major gripes with it.

I then switched over to the iPhone 5 and immediately saw the difference between my locked ios6 and the tweaked jailbroken 5.1.1. The iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 actually felt faster provided by a lot of certain tweaks. I still don't understand why Apple refuses to let devs have access to the notification menu to modify it or tweak it accordingly. SBSettings is a must for any iPhone owners but alas is unavailable without a jailbreak. So right now my iPhone 5 which supposedly has this superior chip is failing miserably.

I do have to agree with Disposed in terms of some software being "better" on iPhones or iPads. This may not be a huge gap now, but I found same apps actually running for the most part, without issues, on my iPhone while the Android equivalent running on my Transformer would often quit or freeze up. Could this be the tablet itself? Maybe but as a user these things are what causes me not to be a fan.

I considered a GNex but because JBean I think is the first iteration of the Android platform to offer a substantial stability and fluidity without tweaks or extra add-ons. I've seen friends with GNex's and I did actually at one point find the experience to be better than that of iOS.

I guess what I'm trying to say right now is that I'm not bias towards any ecosystem, but I do find that iOS 6 has finally started to show its age against JB and Apple doesn't seem at all interested in allowing developers to play nicely with customization. I plan to move to an Android based phone soon but am hesitant due to the rumors around the next Google phone to be announced.

If you like stability and simplicity of the i5 and ios6 then by all means, stick with it. But if I were to get any Android device it would probably only have to come from Google which allows immediate rollouts of their OS's.

I've had both and your either a troll or just flapping your gums!! there is no difference in apps or games when comparing them. Updates? I don't care when they send them. If my phone works then its a case of if it's not broke don't fix it... I worked at a newspaper for years with a mixed computer environment so I've had plenty of experience with apple products. and the thing i learned about them are they are still pcs, just with different problems. same with their phones. So if you've got more money than brains, well I'm sure Apple thanks you! And it will be a cold day in hell before they ever get another dime from me. The phones are over priced junk in a pretty package, with sucky reception. All the other things a smart phone can do are secondary to it being.....of all things....A PHONE!

Hate much?

just to throw my $0.02 into the pot...

There are people who like Android, There are people who like BB, there are people who like Windows, And there are people who like iOS.

Back in the WM days, I wouldnt touch android, when I first got my android I wouldnt touch iOS, now I'm moving to iOS. Phones and OSes change so fast it's a full-time job just to keep up with them.

Like I've said before, if you want data-crunching ability, get an android, if you want media get an iPhone, if you want security, get a Blackberry... (I honestly dont know enough about the new windows phone to say anything about it, but I'm sure there is something it's best at too)

Every OS has problems, Android has dropped the ball just as much as Apple has. The real issue here is that people need to wait (if they can) to upgrade their phones and see what the reviews say. A lot of phones that the carriers like turn out to be crap, and a lot of the phones the carriers hate are he best options out there.

And on the Apple-Hate note...
Apple just released the iPhone 5, which had tremendous popularity, so the android fanboys are sore. When an android phone comes out that KOs the competition, the apple fanboys will be sore... it's a cycle...

Vermillion hit the nail right on the head. My phone is my primary music device and on android I use poweramp. Even when set to have priority on a couple phones and a few roms after a phone call or pause from my Bluetooth stereo it was random which app would start playing.

People have to understand that very few phones have good cyanogen support. Most are just community ports with issues.

I'm one of those that are currently on the fence with either phones.

I had an iPhone 4 for a long time with a jailbroken 5.1.1 Worked to my standards and frankly I had no major gripes with it.

I then switched over to the iPhone 5 and immediately saw the difference between my locked ios6 and the tweaked jailbroken 5.1.1. The iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 actually felt faster provided by a lot of certain tweaks. I still don't understand why Apple refuses to let devs have access to the notification menu to modify it or tweak it accordingly. SBSettings is a must for any iPhone owners but alas is unavailable without a jailbreak. So right now my iPhone 5 which supposedly has this superior chip is failing miserably.

I do have to agree with Disposed in terms of some software being "better" on iPhones or iPads. This may not be a huge gap now, but I found same apps actually running for the most part, without issues, on my iPhone while the Android equivalent running on my Transformer would often quit or freeze up. Could this be the tablet itself? Maybe but as a user these things are what causes me not to be a fan.

I considered a GNex but because JBean I think is the first iteration of the Android platform to offer a substantial stability and fluidity without tweaks or extra add-ons. I've seen friends with GNex's and I did actually at one point find the experience to be better than that of iOS.

I guess what I'm trying to say right now is that I'm not bias towards any ecosystem, but I do find that iOS 6 has finally started to show its age against JB and Apple doesn't seem at all interested in allowing developers to play nicely with customization. I plan to move to an Android based phone soon but am hesitant due to the rumors around the next Google phone to be announced.

If you like stability and simplicity of the i5 and ios6 then by all means, stick with it. But if I were to get any Android device it would probably only have to come from Google which allows immediate rollouts of their OS's.

That immediate rollout if updates that the nexus line is supposed to have is no longer the case if you're with Verizon.

Read the post, i said i tried WP7. I bought the HTC arrive on launch day, it is a good OS but its just as locked down as the iphone with not even 1/10th of the apps. Its also running on very old hardware vs the competition with the same price tag but the biggest issue is MS chose to go with no expandable memory then the manufacturers decided not to make phones with more than 16GB. My phones double as my mp3 player and music for my car WP7 just dont cut it at all.

I also bought an HD2 after mango released to try it and while it was better the same issues as before kept me away.
?

HTC Radar user here, going to touch base on these ignorant points you made.

1) Locked down? As in?
2) 1/0th the apps? Oh, so you want fart noises and horns and stupid childish games right? The point of a smart phone is to play games amirite? Name an app you use with your new glorious iphone that you cannot find on the WP7 market, please enlighten me.
3) Old hardware? Oh you mean an O/S that is written for the hardware? oh noez my phone only has single cores boooohoooo.....but yet it manages to be on par with quad and dual core phones, and way better battery life......NOOOOOOO
4) No expandable storage? Oh yes, you do actually have me there. Because I have never used my phone as an mp3 player where I did not have enough coverage to use SkyDrive, or oh I dont know.....MY ZUNE ON MY LAPTOP to stream music to? Where are you using your phone as an mp3 player where you do not have 4g or wifi?
5) See 1-4 for your HD2 issues too.

You must be the most un-techy person on this forum if your gripes with a phone is that you actually need to put forth effort to make it work the way you want.

I await WP8, and I hope t-mobile has the Nokia920.....I would rather not use the new HTC WP8.....but the Samsung Ativ looks promising.....

Carry on with your sheeple banter......

4) No expandable storage? Oh yes, you do actually have me there. Because I have never used my phone as an mp3 player where I did not have enough coverage to use SkyDrive, or oh I dont know.....MY ZUNE ON MY LAPTOP to stream music to? Where are you using your phone as an mp3 player where you do not have 4g or wifi?

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. There are TONS of places where there is poor or no data coverage, and no wifi. How are you going to stream your music then? or videos?

Put a 16/32GB sd card for <$20 and most people can carry their entire music collection and a bunch of movies as well. The fact is expandable storage has no downsides and only benefits.

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. There are TONS of places where there is poor or no data coverage, and no wifi. How are you going to stream your music then? or videos?

Put a 16/32GB sd card for <$20 and most people can carry their entire music collection and a bunch of movies as well. The fact is expandable storage has no downsides and only benefits.

To add to this, ever heard of a...flight? I fly to Germany every summer and it is either a 6:45-7:30(6 hours and 45 minutes to 7 hours and 30 minutes..) flight, and back it sometimes comes out to 9 hours. Last I checked, there is no 4g on a plane and if you want Wifi then it is way too expensive. Oh, and data is being limited so much now, if you stream music through something like Spotify you can easily go above 1-2gb in a single day.

Totally agreed. Cloud/streaming nonsense belongs in the trash.

I half agree with you both. The truth is the importance of on-board storage is generally overstated, 16GB is pretty prevalent these days and you can fit so many hours of music (and a couple appropriately sized videos) on there it's easy to plan for when you won't have data coverage. If you subscribe to Zune pass or use some other kind of cloud music system then it's also easy to change up what's on your device while on the go. The fact that the iPhone and most other "high-end/flagship" phones don't have removable storage obviously means something too. It's easier to design a good solid chassis without the removable option. To me it's a tie-breaker, not a necessity. Ironically on the HTC Arrive that you had there was the option to pop it open and swap in a new SD card if you had googled for it.

However I do recognize that there are edge cases where someone absolutely must carry an obscene amount of music around with them for some reason. It's a legitimate complaint if you absolutely must do that, however get used to the fact that it's generally ending up as rare as a slider keyboard. Perhaps it's time to adjust your methods.

To add to this, ever heard of a...flight? I fly to Germany every summer and it is either a 6:45-7:30(6 hours and 45 minutes to 7 hours and 30 minutes..) flight, and back it sometimes comes out to 9 hours. Last I checked, there is no 4g on a plane and if you want Wifi then it is way too expensive. Oh, and data is being limited so much now, if you stream music through something like Spotify you can easily go above 1-2gb in a single day.

No offense but the best option there is to use a separate device like a 7" tablet rather than drain your phone battery so that you have no battery left when you arrive. That's also an edge case since it only happens annually. It's kind of ridiculous to completely discount an awesome phone for these limited scenarios.

No offense but the best option there is to use a separate device like a 7" tablet rather than drain your phone battery so that you have no battery left when you arrive. That's also an edge case since it only happens annually. It's kind of ridiculous to completely discount an awesome phone for these limited scenarios.

CDMA(Well, Verizon) phones do not work in Europe unless they are specifically international and you like to pay tons of extra money.

Also, why do I need a 7" tablet to listen to music :eek:

(I feel like your post was sarcastic though)

It wasn't, just I see people trying to make their phones do so much extra stuff and then they complain about battery life or limitations of the device when its primary nature should be a phone. People rip Bluray quality videos to watch on their 3.7" screens and then complain about onboard storage sizes. I just see a lot of stuff that makes me scratch my head. Wouldn't you rather watch videos on a 7" device, or as I said earlier separate your media on long trips so that your phone battery stays high in case of emergency?

The fact that the iPhone and most other "high-end/flagship" phones don't have removable storage obviously means something too. It's easier to design a good solid chassis without the removable option.

iPhones don't have it so Apple can charge you a huge premium for flash storage. Chassis design has very little to do with it. Google doesn't want to do it so they can promote their own cloud services, and all these companies will tell you its 'simpler' for the user because apparently managing storage on a phone is now rocket science.

Like you said, most people will think 16GB is enough, then go home and find out its actually more like 12, install a few games and watch it all shrink, then they start to worry. And the 'cool' tech people will tell you to use streaming as if the entire world had 4G speeds with no bandwidth caps.

It wasn't, just I see people trying to make their phones do so much extra stuff and then they complain about battery life or limitations of the device when its primary nature should be a phone. People rip Bluray quality videos to watch on their 3.7" screens and then complain about onboard storage sizes. I just see a lot of stuff that makes me scratch my head. Wouldn't you rather watch videos on a 7" device, or as I said earlier separate your media on long trips so that your phone battery stays high in case of emergency?

I never complained about Blu-Ray quality or w/e. Also, why should I pay another $300-$500 for tablet just to watch some movies every now and then? I also don't complain about battery life(there are now power outlets on planes anyways). Also, the screen is 4.8" and again, if I got to Germany I can't use my smartphone anyways.

I never complained about Blu-Ray quality or w/e. Also, why should I pay another $300-$500 for tablet just to watch some movies every now and then? I also don't complain about battery life(there are now power outlets on planes anyways). Also, the screen is 4.8" and again, if I got to Germany I can't use my smartphone anyways.

You just explained all your needs, but those aren't everyone's needs is my point. The perfect device will never exist, there will always be compromises because they can't just fit everything into such a small footprint. A microsd card slot does take up a decent amount of space comparatively, plus you have to design access to get at it and change it. That can ruin a perfectly good design probably depending on what an OEM wants to do.

You just explained all your needs, but those aren't everyone's needs is my point. The perfect device will never exist, there will always be compromises because they can't just fit everything into such a small footprint. A microsd card slot does take up a decent amount of space comparatively, plus you have to design access to get at it and change it. That can ruin a perfectly good design probably depending on what an OEM wants to do.

Eh, if you can fit a SIM card in the phone I think you can fit a microsd slot. On the Galaxy S3 it is right next to the 4g SIM card slot(or regular one, for Verizon it is the 4g slot).

It's really not crazy difficult to just add it.

Think design circuitry. That's not the only reason, some of the stuff you mentioned before is likely valid as well (cloud).

Think design circuitry. That's not the only reason, some of the stuff you mentioned before is likely valid as well (cloud).

Yeah, but it seems like they were able to do it on the Razr HD as well and that is very thin. I feel like it is mostly to 1. Promote cloud storage and 2. To rip people off. Flash storage doesn't cost $100 per 16/32gb.

Lets say it adds 2mm thickness to the phone to add an sd card. It doesn't, but lets assume the worst. I guarantee if they sold 2 models, one with sd card and 2mm thicker, the other without, no one would buy the one without the sd card.

This. Anyone doing anything to the point that they need an MP3 player for more than an hour...maybe 2 hours has an MP3 player.....because then what? You use your phone as an mp3 player for 7 hours then have no phone use once landed?
Edit: If I was on flights (usa to canada) I would bring my old but trusty Creative Zen Vision M......movies and music. For the whole trip....and then some.

Does not make sense.

Also, to the people who disagree with me......thats cool. I use my smart phone as a phone....my music streams.....I have coverage. Sorry you other guys do not. If I ever am with out coverage.....I listen to the 4gb of music I already have on my phone.

Last edited:
This. Anyone doing anything to the point that they need an MP3 player for more than an hour...maybe 2 hours has an MP3 player.....because then what? You use your phone as an mp3 player for 7 hours then have no phone use once landed?
Edit: If I was on flights (usa to canada) I would bring my old but trusty Creative Zen Vision M......movies and music. For the whole trip....and then some.

Does not make sense.

Also, to the people who disagree with me......thats cool. I use my smart phone as a phone....my music streams.....I have coverage. Sorry you other guys do not. If I ever am with out coverage.....I listen to the 4gb of music I already have on my phone.

The point of a smartphone is it replaces multiple devices. Sure, you have to make some compromises, but listening to music for 2hrs is hardly too much use.

I have a Sansa Clip that is about as big as a matchbook and play music for something ridiculous like 40 hours. Cost me $20 on sale. I know consolidating devices is good, but sometimes there is a better tool for a job.

We had a borrowed iPad for the summer and I really hated iOS !!! It really turned me off of all Apple products.

Congrats. Android phones push the envelope with hardware but the software is very fragmented. Never as polished or classy as the iPhone.

I've got to say, reading this thread is even more entertaining when you're actually picturing everyone yelling at everyone else. Holy shit, it's a PHONE. Who the hell cares? So you like Android, and that jerk likes WP, and some other jerk likes the iPhone, and EVERYONE hates the jerk who likes Blackberry. Oh, and we're all pitying the jerk who's still using WebOS.

Know what I learned when I worked at Sprint and AT&T? Different phones work for different people. I dislike the iPhone and Apple, but I have no problem recommending it to people. I will never use a Blackberry again, but for some people, it's their best option. And WP7/8? The perfect beginner smartphone, or the perfect phone for people who value a balance of form and function. When you can't look past your own preference to see that other people might not like the same shit as you, is when you become a fanboy. Think about it, because this thread if chock full of them, all screaming at everyone else about how their phone is the best phone. STFU, your phones are all about to be outdated, and they'll be mocked mercilessly in 6 months.

Know what I learned when I worked at Sprint and AT&T? Different phones work for different people. I dislike the iPhone and Apple, but I have no problem recommending it to people. I will never use a Blackberry again, but for some people, it's their best option. And WP7/8? The perfect beginner smartphone, or the perfect phone for people who value a balance of form and function. When you can't look past your own preference to see that other people might not like the same shit as you, is when you become a fanboy. Think about it, because this thread if chock full of them, all screaming at everyone else about how their phone is the best phone. STFU, your phones are all about to be outdated, and they'll be mocked mercilessly in 6 months.

THIS. lol I have had them all the past 4 years. Over 20 different phones, they used to feel like each one was radically different faster and better than the last, but the last 2-3 felt more of the same just a little bigger, little faster. Nothing is coming out now that is revolutionary, in the case of Android everything is getting more stable and refined. Android in my opinion for a long time was a mess, they pushed to many features and none of them worked very well from the start and now that Jellybean has come out it has gotten a lot better. iOS is great for those who don't want to spend countless hours fixing a phone, and is ok with how everything already is (Yes, android zealots not everyone wants to spend hours customizing, days backing up, restoring and doing custom roms/kernels) I am amazed at how people who say they like choice hate on another competitor so much. I honestly like all of them in their own separate ways, no reason for anyone to hate on something some one else got because they don't agree.

I've got to say, reading this thread is even more entertaining when you're actually picturing everyone yelling at everyone else. Holy shit, it's a PHONE. Who the hell cares? So you like Android, and that jerk likes WP, and some other jerk likes the iPhone, and EVERYONE hates the jerk who likes Blackberry. Oh, and we're all pitying the jerk who's still using WebOS.

_proxy

Look buddy, I don't know what phone you're rocking but whichever one it is it's shit. Deal with it. :p

I've always found the phone wars to be exactly the same as console wars and OS wars. The fact of the matter is if you're defending or attacking a platform for any reason you're probably an asshole.

(P.S. let me know when I can authenticate to an iPhone/Android with a smart card over bluetooth without having to attach any ugly dongles to it. That'll be the day I dump my Bold :p)

Eh, the only reason I attack--strike that, fucking loathe--apple, is their shit-tastic customer service.

Eh, the only reason I attack--strike that, fucking loathe--apple, is their shit-tastic customer service.

o_O you must've gone to a bad store, I've never had anything but a pleasant experience with apple, even got a $300 repair on my old MB for free OUT OF WARRANTY and a $100 replacement on an iPhone4 ALSO out of warranty and off-contract.

Wow, where did you run into this? The Apple store by me is crawling with employees trying to help people and the Genius Bar has fixed a few friend's Macs out of warranty for a nominal fee.

The only problem ocurred when some out of warranty Macbook Pros (the first ones with intel CPUs) had the batteries expand and destroy the laptop.

I keep hearing about great Apple service, maybe I've just had bad luck. My iPod (5th gen) died a few months out of warranty and 2 different Apple stores said they couldn't do anything about it. Last Apple product I bought since it was so expensive.

HTC Radar user here, going to touch base on these ignorant points you made.

1) Locked down? As in?
2) 1/0th the apps? Oh, so you want fart noises and horns and stupid childish games right? The point of a smart phone is to play games amirite? Name an app you use with your new glorious iphone that you cannot find on the WP7 market, please enlighten me.
3) Old hardware? Oh you mean an O/S that is written for the hardware? oh noez my phone only has single cores boooohoooo.....but yet it manages to be on par with quad and dual core phones, and way better battery life......NOOOOOOO
5) See 1-4 for your HD2 issues too.

You must be the most un-techy person on this forum if your gripes with a phone is that you actually need to put forth effort to make it work the way you want.

I await WP8, and I hope t-mobile has the Nokia920.....I would rather not use the new HTC WP8.....but the Samsung Ativ looks promising.....

Carry on with your sheeple banter......

1. Locked down as in you get less customization options than you do on iOS. You can change your ringtone and color scheme and thats it. Hell it wasnt until 7.5 that you could even use your own damn ringtones.

2. I see this nonsense all the time from fans of fringe phone OSes, the webOS fans said the same shit. But i will humor you, for starters how about a good tabbed browser, last i looked the browsers for WP7 where absolute garbage,,,

I will list my commonly used apps for you.

Capital one app, NOPE
Credit Karma, NOPE
Deere credit union app, NOPE
Pandora, NOPE
HBO Go, NOPE
Ebay, Yep!

None of the games i play are on WP7 and all but one are multi platform... I could go on but frankly its pointless. So again the WP7 app store is a sad sad joke. People keep touting it as a competitor to the iphone for media but no pandora, no HBO GO basically you get netflix and slacker and thats it.

3. I agree, WP7 runs really well on the older hardware, what you're missing though is you're getting last years hardware for the same price as much beefier android phones. It makes no sense. Unfortunately though its not because its super optimized or built for the hardware its because its a stark OS with nothing going on. Thats not to say thats totally bad though.

4. The cloud shit is stupid for phones. Until every carrier offers unlimited LTE data for every one then its pointless. Because i want to piss through my shared data because the stupid asses that designed my "media powerhouse" of a phone forgot to give me somewhere to put my media...

I have a Sansa Clip that is about as big as a matchbook and play music for something ridiculous like 40 hours. Cost me $20 on sale. I know consolidating devices is good, but sometimes there is a better tool for a job.

I have Qumo MP3 player that size of a match box and plays music non stop for 238 hours. It is not a joke. they stopped producing this player though for some reason :( I would not mind to buy a new model.

It's funny, the OP just bought an iPhone and loves it.

I just switched from 3+ years of iPhone ownership to a Galaxy S3 and couldn't be happier.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

As it stands right now, the iPhone 5 is the best handset on the market from a hardware perspective, but is hampered by the pile of fail that is iOS 6. It's atrocious how far behind the curve Apple is now in the interest of providing the most useful features in a smartphone.

Conversely, I've experienced more small, frustrating UI hiccups since switching, but the overall capability is so drastically better that it's easy to overlook the shortcomings of Android 4.x.

I think the best option would be an iPhone 5 running ICS/Jellybean, but since that's not going to happen, I can't help but feel bad for people who actually bought new iPhones. Great hardware saddled with uncompetitive software.

Even my wife, who is as anti-techie as anti-techie gets, can't say enough good things about her new Galaxy, and she's been an avid iPhone lover for years. If anyone should be seduced by simplicity and the mantra of "it just works", it's my wife, but sadly iOS is so far behind the curve that it's irrelevant to her.

Plus, the new iPhone is so light and thin that it feels cheap to her (and I don't entirely disagree) regardless of how sturdy it actually is.

The gs3 is another shining example... Wife loves hers and its a damn nice phone until you run into the fun little bug that phone has where it just don't get some texts and calls.

Wow, where did you run into this? The Apple store by me is crawling with employees trying to help people and the Genius Bar has fixed a few friend's Macs out of warranty for a nominal fee.

The only problem occurred when some out of warranty Macbook Pros (the first ones with intel CPUs) had the batteries expand and destroy the laptop.

I recently went into an Apple Store for the first time and it was awful.

1. The place was RIDDLED with people loitering... not even buying stuff. I set an appointment for 5 in afternoon and didn't actually talk to someone till 45 min later. This is because they first take your name and description and you have to wait there till someone comes up to you. Would be fine if there wasn't 50 other people in there begging for attention.

2. I had a wifi issue with my first phone. It is a known issue with Apple and they notified me that they could only take the device ONCE for that particular problem.. because chances are two of their phones would not have the same issue with the same user, unless it was user caused... if you look at the news it actually is a defect on Apple's side so pretty much his point was ridiculous.

3. If you are not on Applecare.. good luck. You're either really hot, or somehow caught a "genius" on a good day. A lot of Apple's customer service won't even listen to you breath let alone talk to you if you don't have an Applecare plan.

I recently went into an Apple Store for the first time and it was awful.

1. The place was RIDDLED with people loitering... not even buying stuff. I set an appointment for 5 in afternoon and didn't actually talk to someone till 45 min later. This is because they first take your name and description and you have to wait there till someone comes up to you. Would be fine if there wasn't 50 other people in there begging for attention.

2. I had a wifi issue with my first phone. It is a known issue with Apple and they notified me that they could only take the device ONCE for that particular problem.. because chances are two of their phones would not have the same issue with the same user, unless it was user caused... if you look at the news it actually is a defect on Apple's side so pretty much his point was ridiculous.

3. If you are not on Applecare.. good luck. You're either really hot, or somehow caught a "genius" on a good day. A lot of Apple's customer service won't even listen to you breath let alone talk to you if you don't have an Applecare plan.

This x10. Went in to have them put a screen protector on since i always screw it up royally and my brother said they do a great job and wow just wow at least 35-40 people dicking around asking stupid questions obviously with no intention to buy.

If you want to buy something, get in, and get out, Apple Store's are kinda neat. They do everything from their iPhones including the scanning and invoicing.

But if you need any assistance beyond get in, buy and get out, such as Genius Bar help, the whole place acts like it's doing you a favor by listening to you. I really hated that.

Back