illegible text - Dell 2707

bipolar

[H]ard|Gawd
Bizarre problem with my display. Just installed a new video card yesterday (GTX 275, upgraded from 8800GTS) and everything worked perfectly. Gamed on it for several hours, no problems at all. Go to turn on the computer today, and the primary display (Dell 2707) comes up in VGA resolution. When I set it to native resolution (1920 x 1200), text looks all jacked up -- just one step shy of illegible. Restarted, no change.

The weird thing is, if I set the resolution to anything else, the text is fine (maybe a bit soft from not being in native resolution, but easily readable). I installed the latest driver for both video card and monitor. I have a secondary monitor (different resolution) and everything works fine on it.

Pic of what the text looks like: http://i39.tinypic.com/2h7nr5h.jpg
Images seem fine.
Anyone run into this or any ideas?

Tried both 59 and 60 hz, no change. I'll try swapping the monitors around on the card, at least that will narrow it down if it's the monitor/cable, or the card.

Hrm, switching the ports the monitors were attached to fixed it. Very strange.

Sounds/looks like a bent pin in your DVI cable... Switching ports hmmm? Bad ports... glad you fixed it.

Sounds like a bad solder point or loose contact on the card's dvi connector. At 1900X1200 32bit, 60hz some cheaper dvi cables are close to their limit for signal integrity, maybe it just needed reseated on the card end? Have you tried the other port again?

Sounds like a bad solder point or loose contact on the card's dvi connector. At 1900X1200 32bit, 60hz some cheaper dvi cables are close to their limit for signal integrity, maybe it just needed reseated on the card end? Have you tried the other port again?

I have two monitors so both are still plugged in, I just switched the ports they were connected to. Both are working fine now. I had tried reseating the cable first, but still had the problem. But plugging monitor 2 into the port monitor 1 had been plugged into (and vice versa) fixed it for some reason.

Back