I'll need a better CPU cooler, please help

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
I have a Zalman 9700 and it cant keep up with my quad :rolleyes: I have notice on stock that the idle temp is 55C and the load temp is 80C :eek: I have check if is was sitting correctly and it is, tryed changing thermal paste. same problem. so im stuck here. I cant have something to big or it wont fit in my Antec 900 and I MUST have room to overclock. sadly, I cant fit a watercooler in that case. Oh and please, make sure it doesnt make much noise.

Thanks!

the 9700 is a pretty darn good cooler, man. the tuniq tower and ninja are generally regarded as 'the best', but not by a really huge margin at all. Time to get bteter case cooling maybe?

I know my cpu temp probes are horribly inaccurate. Either that or my cpu is running at 70c right now (and my 9500 is barely warm to the touch. 12 hour prime stable, btw)

Who would've thought that overclocking a quad-core processor with a TDP of 130W by 1GHz would require more than air cooling :rolleyes:

Not many options for you out there on the air cooling side, but the Tuniq tower has been getting rave reviews, especially compared to the overpriced Zalman coolers.

Tuniq will be better than the 9700 but not by much... I have a Tuniq and my temps are great. I have my vcore at 1.475 running at 390x9 and my load temps are 55-56 with it occasionally shooting up to 57. But then again... What really affected my temps was changing the case. I used to have a coolermaster mystique, but when compusa had a great deal on the antec 900 (90 bucks + $25 MIR) I decided to get it. Temps dropped like 5C... which doesn't seem like much. But, the difference from 55 to 60 is pretty big for me. Not only that, but my GPU temps dropped a ton as well. Good luck...

Back