iLife '04

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
So I just picked up a copy on a whim.

Went to CompUSA to by a new CF Card for my camera (rolled over my old one with my office chair. I'm a dick)

And they were just putting them out on the displays...

$50? Not too bad, I'm mostly interested in Garage Band and iPhoto4. (considering that I paid over $1000 for Logic Audio 6 + plugins... puts it into perspective)

Of course I haven't a mac around to play with right now... oh well.

Anyone else gonna get it/gotten it?

I have it loaded up but haven't had a chance to play with it yet but from the training and what I have see it is going to be quite nice

Well now that it's out I still haven't seen a word about the updates for those of us that aren't going to go out and buy iLife, I wonder if that means iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie are no longer going to be free.

You can get those older versions still with the OS. But, the only way to get iPhoto4, iDVD4, iMovie4, and GarageBand is to purchase iLife 04

Originally posted by AntShaw
You can get those older versions still with the OS. But, the only way to get iPhoto4, iDVD4, iMovie4, and GarageBand is to purchase iLife 04

The new versions will be free with new Macs. Kinda sucks, I bought mine the day before the announcement. If I had waited a day I would have gotten it free.

There is a $19 upgrade program for some people (like me). The old versions are still available for download.

bah, that's no good, I find it real discouraging to go so long offering a program for free then turn around and start charging for it

Originally posted by Instigator
bah, that's no good, I find it real discouraging to go so long offering a program for free then turn around and start charging for it

The old version didn't suddenly stop working. It costs them money to maintain and expand the apps. $49 for this many apps is a DEAL. $29 if you can get the edu discount.

It doesn't matter if the old version still works, it's the simple fact that it was offered and updated at no charge, why change it now. The way it was done with the original iLife was fine, if you wanted the newest version of iDVD then pay, if not get the others online for free as they were just that, why change now. IMO instead of charging end-users for it they should license iTunes out to other companies and allow it to synch with other players and then dominate market share.

sigh...you don't want much do you...should the OS be a free upgrade too? so far I haven't had to deal with anybody not liking the new policy on iLife and the new versions of the Apps....as it stands you can still download the old versions but if you are wanting the NEW features that were developed for the NEW apps then they need to be payed for..simple as that

The way it was done with the original iLife was fine, if you wanted the newest version of iDVD then pay, if not get the others online for free as they were just that, why change now.

what has changed...the old versions are still available and the new stuff costs money...if you don't like it then stay with the old apps...don't mean to come off a little gruff but really...they are great apps and have some nice features and lets face it...if you want to continue to see improvements on the sw there is a cost associated with it and $12.25/application is not that bad

They don't have the education discount ver in stores yet. I went by tonight and picked up a AE base and another AC adapter.

Don't get me wrong, I see a reason to pay for iDVD or GarageBand. It's like getting those AOL CD's for years then all of a sudden, sorry you gotta buy it now, if you're going to eventually charge for something eventually keep it beta until you're ready to charge, not give out several fully functional finished products and then start charging, but that's just my perspective and I'm not always right, only 95% of the time ;).

well, the main new feature in itunes 4 is the speed boost in relation to having a HUGE library, like a pro photographer would. Maybe this is why they started charging for iphoto4.

I guess that's just the way life goes, and it won't be an iLife either, I think GarageBand for me is a waste of money. I guess that's my biggest gripe is the bundling of software that's completely useless to me, and otherwise it's kinda hard for me to justify a value on something that was once free.

Yeah, I said that on the 6th when they announced that iTunes would be the only free download.

Oh well.

Originally posted by Methodical
well, the main new feature in itunes 4 is the speed boost in relation to having a HUGE library, like a pro photographer would. Maybe this is why they started charging for iphoto4.

Damn, I guess iTunes shouldn't be free if it's going to give a speed boost to a photography library, that's pretty amazing for a music program to do :p.

Back