IL2 realism players?

mwin

2[H]4U
Any of y'all play IL2 with the realism turned up? I'd been playing Pacific Fighters, with it turned way down and was having alot of fun with it. Me and a couple of my buddies were running three man arial deathmatches, basically. This is really my first serious venture into flight simming so I'm pretty newbish.

Another guy that I know plays over the net on these "realism" servers. He's been trying to convince me to get on there with him. So I got 1946 so that I might be able to get on there with him. Just to see how I might be able to do, I cranked the realism and went at it against the computer. I felt like I couldn't do anything. I banked over and pulled back on the stick to turn and the plane would spin and fall out of the sky. I couldn't do anything worth a damn.

How do y'all do it? Is it possible to learn?

You have to be careful, you can't just jerk the stick around. You need to get on some Il2 forums like SimHQ and ask for guides on engine management and tactics, especially BnZ. it's hard but it's probably very rewarding from what I hear. I've never had the time.

You have to be gentle with how you handle the plane or else you'll stall/spin. I think there are tutorials in the game, so try those out. For now you should probably play with a lot of the realism options turned off and learn the game, then gradually start turning them on.

IL2 is great, however until you "get it" it can be one frustrating piece of software.

As another poster mentioned, the key is to baby the aircraft. Especially the jet fighters, if you throttle up too quickily you will burn out engines or cause them to explode. Same with movements, especially with the elevators. Ailerons and rudder at typically safer to "yank away" with.

When I played, I'd only move the joystick about half way from center to top/bottom otherwise you'd stall or spin. Sometimes its ok to jank the stick provided you can take something out in the process and you have enough altitude to recover, then its worth it. Or just playing on the edge of the envelope that causes the plane to shake and about to puke on you. ;) Just watch out because older aircraft will stall the engine when you dive hard, its best to roll inverted then pull up so to speak to take the dive rather than do it the other way... ;)

It all comes down to practice. Setup quick battles with full realism, and start with you against a lone bomber like the TB-3 (slow ass russian bomber with no armor) and get the hang of just avoiding the return fire, finding weak spots where the gunners can't target you, and finding places in the enemy airframe which cripple them quick. And get a feel of how the aircraft manuever, and which ones feel best to you, and your playing style. Honestly, some of the older aircraft are lighter and usually are more friendly to noobies, while the later aircraft are flying tanks which have a ton of firepower but require alot more patience and babying...

So, I'd probably start with BF-109 1940's era against that russian bomber, and just start going from there. Germany with their 20mm shells (or whatever they were) are easier to track compared to American/British "popcorn guns" so you can see where your shots are going... Which is the 2nd hardest thing about the game, which is aiming your guns and knowing when to shoot. The most common error is firing when you are too far away. Honestly, the enemy plane with regular view should take up about 1/4 the screen atleast before you fire... If its any smaller than that, you are too far away and you will be missing with most of your bullets.

I can strongly recommend going to SimHQ. The people there are great and seem to be very helpful to noobs as long as you ask questions and really want to learn. I have been playing LOMAC and they have helped me tons. Some of them even created some missions for me to download and try so that I could work on specific skills. Just tell them you are a noob and what you want to accomplish and they will help.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

There is a link to the forums and good luck.

Edit:And don't be afraid to laugh at yourself when you screw up because we have all been there.

Yep, you can do it. Its a good time. Whole different game though, full switch. Its gonna be frustrating not being able to do what you used to. Its not just the "difficulty" settings though the caliber of the pilot will go up as well.

Reading helps if your into that sorta thing. Practice and getting on comunal comms with everyone can help too. Like everyone says, gentle on the stick. Most planes give some warning that the airflow is breaking up over the wing. Noise and buffeting. Look and listen for these and ease up, just bleeding E and not turning any faster anyway.

Hope to see you online. Well hope I see you before you see me.

Back