Ikea desk gallery

Which combination do you think is better guys/gals & why?

1) VIKA BYSKE solid wood table top with VIKA MOLIDEN underframe (all x2)?

or

2) GALANT Table Top (birch) + Extension with Silver A-LEGS with extension?

or

3) this?

All options come to around $300, so its only about making a choice. I am leaning towards the 1st option but am going back & forth:confused:

I prefer solid wood with lots of space, but would go with more desk stability. What do you think?

I had a this desk back in the UK, but can seem to get anything like it here =/

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated!

The Galant is modular which is nice so you create any size/configuration you want.
Maybe you can buy the Vika table top and attach it to the Galant frame?
Also, the Galant legs are height adjustable.

Last edited:
Which combination do you think is better guys/gals & why?

1) VIKA BYSKE solid wood table top with VIKA MOLIDEN underframe (all x2)?

or

2) GALANT Table Top (birch) + Extension with Silver A-LEGS with extension?

or

3) this?

All options come to around $300, so its only about making a choice. I am leaning towards the 1st option but am going back & forth:confused:

I prefer solid wood with lots of space, but would go with more desk stability. What do you think?

I had a this desk back in the UK, but can seem to get anything like it here =/

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated!

Did you see this one yet?

I personally have the VIKA BYSKE sitting on two ALEX Drawers.
It came out looking great too... Here's the project thread I made for when I assembled the desk:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1595516

I did see the Micke, but the depth was way too small a depth to do any kind of work.
For your BYSKE, did you have to treat it with oil before hand or can it be used straight away?
It could have been used right out of the box.
From the Ikea site:
The surface has been treated with oil. For full protection, oil it regularly with wood oil.
here's the oil that's recommended by ikea:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50070378/

I personally like the watco danish oil. Took a day or two to fully dry in a basement but the end results are very nice :)
Watch a few videos on youtube for how to apply watco oil. This is a great one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXilJCN27Q

For a desk I'd stay away from anything that has a veneer. Eventually it will start peeling and the edges will rub on your wrists/forearms.

For a desk I'd stay away from anything that has a veneer. Eventually it will start peeling and the edges will rub on your wrists/forearms.

I agree. I have been through two Ikea tops and ending up refinishing an old wooden kitchen table my parents had left over in their garage to get what I wanted. The real wood Ikea tops are nice and a good place to start though. The veneer is garbage. The Ikea legs work out really well though.

That's precisely the reason why I went with the VIKA BYSKE. Still looks great to this day, I just have way too much crap on top of it from a office clean out I recently started. So no pix yet.

Its why I was hesitant about option 2. Guess Ill go with two of option 1. Need an expansive work space = )

What did you guys think of option 3 by the way - the mahogany konrad desk?

They're building a new Ikea near Miami, FL in Sweetwater near Dolphin Mall. Only a 15 minute drive on a good day! No more hour long drive to Sunrise. Construction begins next year.

You guys have sandpaper for skin? I've had an IKEA Effektiv (Galant predecessor) for 12 years of use and have never made the veneer peel.

What did you guys think of option 3 by the way - the mahogany konrad desk?

I'm not a fan of drawers under the desk space. I like the desk to be as low as possible with my keyboard basically sitting at lap-level. Also, that chair looks very uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, that combo wont work with out some Ikea hacking = (

Nothing wrong with a little Ikea hack. It's what I had to do to make my desk fit.

I also made a shelf using a Ekby Laiva shelf, 4" Capita legs and bolts from the hardware store. Thinking about making another one to use as a case stand to get it off the carpet.

Nothing wrong with a little Ikea hack. It's what I had to do to make my desk fit.

I also made a shelf using a Ekby Laiva shelf, 4" Capita legs and bolts from the hardware store. Thinking about making another one to use as a case stand to get it off the carpet.

How would you recommend trying to make the BYSKE and A-leg combo work? There always a first time for Ikea Hacking I suppose ! I'm not really experienced in woodwork = (

You guys have sandpaper for skin? I've had an IKEA Effektiv (Galant predecessor) for 12 years of use and have never made the veneer peel.

It is hit or miss. I have had two desks, approximately the same amount of time of use between them. One started to delam slightly the other looks new; I am using the same skin.

Depends on how much coffee the glue operator had that morning and how late he was up?

less talk more pix! :D

Ask and ye shall receive.

BToBf.jpg

Not completely happy with how the cable management turned out in the back, but got too tired to fix it tonight. Getting there though.

yAIlUh.jpg

SKbGHh.jpg

r6yLmh.jpg

Someday, these will be extensions and the legs re-used for a Galant corner, when I move to a space with dedicated office space.

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://i.imgur.com/BToBf.jpg

Not completely happy with how the cable management turned out in the back, but got too tired to fix it tonight. Getting there though.

Can you rotate your 30" screen to portrait mode when you have that little block between the monitor arm and the desk? If yes, is there any space between the monitor and the desk? I think that the ergotron mx can't hold 30" portrait with the stand mounted directly on the desk, right?

How would you recommend trying to make the BYSKE and A-leg combo work? There always a first time for Ikea Hacking I suppose ! I'm not really experienced in woodwork = (

The table top would attach to the Galant frame (the legs attach to the frame, not the table top). The only issue I see is attaching the top and frame straight. But that can be accomplished if you use a ruler and straight edge to mark your holes.

Here is something I found through google: http://www.seethatthere.com/2012/04/my-office.html

Can you rotate your 30" screen to portrait mode when you have that little block between the monitor arm and the desk? If yes, is there any space between the monitor and the desk? I think that the ergotron mx can't hold 30" portrait with the stand mounted directly on the desk, right?

I think it depends on how close to the edge of the desk (and the resulting extra clearance the arm would get). For me, with my arm extending in a little from the corner of the desk there is not enough space to rotate it, it would be resting on the desk.

I will check tonight, I had to place that left over 6x6 1" piece of granite under the mount to get it to match the height I needed to fit the speakers beneath the side monitors. It's what gave me the 5.5" clearance I needed to make the whole thing look right. I was kinda surprised how low that mount made the monitor sit without it. I will flip it into portrait tonight and see what height it gives me or if it even works. The mount was free from the HP PC fiasco so I can't really complain..

To answer your question, it appears the mount was designed to sit flush with the desk in portrait mode with a 30" monitor, it sits almost exactly 1" off the desk with my setup because I elevated the mount, hope this helps.

O9dh5.jpg

-Patrick

i want the galant desk but mannnn 250 just for shipping. thats 85% of the cost of the desk :O

i live in vegas too so no ikea here

Didn't realize shipping was that expensive.
Is there an Ikea within driving distance? Maybe make a day trip out of it.

I have the 120cm x 60cm Galant which is fab but is too short for my needs, so I was thinking of buying the 80cm x 60cm extension piece which would make it 200cm x 60cm.
My concern is would 2 sets of legs be enough (one set at each end) or would I need a third set to go in the middle to stop it sagging?
Has anyone done this before?

To answer your question, it appears the mount was designed to sit flush with the desk in portrait mode with a 30" monitor, it sits almost exactly 1" off the desk with my setup because I elevated the mount, hope this helps.

http://i.imgur.com/O9dh5.jpg

-Patrick

Thank you!
I've searched for a mount for my 30" screen that can handle portrait mode. There are several mounts that can do this, but they are expensive (at least double the cost of ergo mx)

I have the 120cm x 60cm Galant which is fab but is too short for my needs, so I was thinking of buying the 80cm x 60cm extension piece which would make it 200cm x 60cm.
My concern is would 2 sets of legs be enough (one set at each end) or would I need a third set to go in the middle to stop it sagging?
Has anyone done this before?

You are able to add extensions to that model?

Finally purchased a new desk that I've been wanting since they built an IKEA about a year ago in my state.

Before:
iege46.jpg

After:

(flash on)
11r6628.jpg

(flash off)
dzghti.jpg

And I got this $20 table for my other rig, instead of it being on the floor all the time.

289h0rs.jpg

Hey everybody,

So I just picked up a white glass galant from craigslist for $80. I was looking for one in black/brown but the price on this was so good and was so local I couldn't pass it up. I love it so far, only thing is I can't use any of the ikea cable management because it's a glass top. Anyone know of any that will work with this that mount to the frame perhaps, or should I just whip out the zip ties?

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to add my shitty iphone pic that displays dem cables

ibawaN3f3FK2JC.JPG

Last edited:
I just tie all the cables to the frame using zip ties. No need for the cable management at all.

Hey everybody,

So I just picked up a white glass galant from craigslist for $80. I was looking for one in black/brown but the price on this was so good and was so local I couldn't pass it up. I love it so far, only thing is I can't use any of the ikea cable management because it's a glass top. Anyone know of any that will work with this that mount to the frame perhaps, or should I just whip out the zip ties?

First you need to figure how you want the cables to run and where your biggest "rats nest" now lies. I can post some links to cable management items. Zip ties would work but if a cable or component needs to be moved it can be a pain. Velcro might be a better solution.

First you need to figure how you want the cables to run and where your biggest "rats nest" now lies. I can post some links to cable management items. Zip ties would work but if a cable or component needs to be moved it can be a pain. Velcro might be a better solution.

The mess:
https://i.minus.com/irzuDATaLROmd.jpg

That'd be great. I thought I had some of those velcro cable ties lying around from my gigging days but can't seem to find them. As for the rat's nest, I have a surge protector, the big brick for the Auria monitor, and a lot of power cables (one for each speaker and the computer).

Back