Ikea desk gallery

I'm looking at possibly getting a Galant for my new apartment. I've never bought anything from Ikea before, so I'm a bit nervous about the build quality - mostly whether or not it will be sturdy enough to handle a desktop plus multiple monitors without sagging.

Also, how is Ikea for furniture in general? I just started a new job, and don't have much money yet, so I'd like to find cheap, but decent furniture. My budget right now is around $1000 to furnish a 1 bedroom / 1 bath apartment with the basics (bed, table / chairs, desk, dresser - down the road, sofa / TV stand, more storage).

I'm looking at possibly getting a Galant for my new apartment. I've never bought anything from Ikea before, so I'm a bit nervous about the build quality - mostly whether or not it will be sturdy enough to handle a desktop plus multiple monitors without sagging.

Also, how is Ikea for furniture in general? I just started a new job, and don't have much money yet, so I'd like to find cheap, but decent furniture. My budget right now is around $1000 to furnish a 1 bedroom / 1 bath apartment with the basics (bed, table / chairs, desk, dresser - down the road, sofa / TV stand, more storage).

I'd say IKEA is probably a good choice for inexpensive (relatively speaking, of course) but sturdy (again, relatively speaking). Sturdier than most Walmart furniture, but cheaper than most non-Walmart. IKEA also offers a good variety / plenty of choice. You can get a table and 4 decent chairs in IKEA for $120, some MALM stuff for the bedroom. With your budget though, I'd skip getting Galant from the (IKEA) store: it's not exactly their "value" item. Look for it on Craigslist for a fraction of the price.

Yes it is a Jerker, im sure of it. Its a shame too, at first I didnt think it was, but now I realize its just another variation of it.

I'm currently in search of a Jerker. I'm practically to the point where nothing else is going to cut it. No other deck comes up to par with my needs in a desk. I'd even be willing to pay over $300 to get one in front of my doorstep.

I can finally post in this thread after years of lurking

I do not live near an ikea store in Tn, so on my trip to st louis to warped tour with my girlfriend I came across a person on craigslist selling 2 fredriks. Would of gotten both if I had the cash but I am very happy with this desk. Especially for $50.

I just need to clean up the cords now heh

Swan M10

NpuIVh.jpg

Ducky Shine DK9008S - Blue LED Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Cherry MX)

TCJcqh.jpg

6fONvh.jpg

Nice setup, is that a galant? Also is the shelf the monitors are on resting on top of the speakers?

Nice setup, is that a galant? Also is the shelf the monitors are on resting on top of the speakers?

If you look at the pictures again, next to the speaker on the far right, you can see a silver bar that is holding up the shelf. :p

i bought a VIKA AMON desktop that is curved and also 2 straight table pieces, looking to make a shelf that goes along the outside of the edge for printers and things. I am going to try to use the angled Captia Bracket and have the shelf farther off the edge, my only concern is drilling into the table top and knowing its the honeycomb material on the inside. Are the edges made out of wood so if I drill though it then it might hold?

I'd say IKEA is probably a good choice for inexpensive (relatively speaking, of course) but sturdy (again, relatively speaking). Sturdier than most Walmart furniture, but cheaper than most non-Walmart. IKEA also offers a good variety / plenty of choice. You can get a table and 4 decent chairs in IKEA for $120, some MALM stuff for the bedroom. With your budget though, I'd skip getting Galant from the (IKEA) store: it's not exactly their "value" item. Look for it on Craigslist for a fraction of the price.

This was my first time shopping for furniture, and needless to say, I was grossly underestimating the cost. It'll take me a few months to furnish my place the way I like, but I can be patient and save up. As for the desk, I ended up going with the Galant black-brown, left L desk, with extensions on both sides for extra room. Hopefully it won't warp or bend - the ones in the store looked pretty stable, I'm just nervous given how long it is.

I need some advice, I just moved in and setting up my new desk, cant figure out where I should put my giant PC case. Its a CM storm trooper and I was thinking about getting the ANNEFOR but the case is far to large. Any ideas on where to put it so its not in the way, or build something from IKEA or a hardware store

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

sorry for the mess still unpacking all my stuff

I need some advice, I just moved in and setting up my new desk, cant figure out where I should put my giant PC case. Its a CM storm trooper and I was thinking about getting the ANNEFOR but the case is far to large. Any ideas on where to put it so its not in the way, or build something from IKEA or a hardware store

I would put it on the ground under the desk? Not sure why people put towers ontop of their desk, it looks odd to me, takes up a ton of room, makes the cables more visible, brings the source of noise closer to your ears and potentially could be bumped/tipped over more easily. ITX or possible uATX I could understand, but mid/full tower... why?

I think they do it so they can see their computer (window in side panel).
It's not for me. I'd rather look at my three 22" displays (nVidia 2D surround).

I keep mine behind my monitor on my corner Galant, I find it keeps the dog hair out plus it gets direct air from the AC window unit in the office. I use an Ergotron monitor arm so there's a lot of space behind the monitor I wasn't using anyway.

I just got a cheap used Fredrik desk. Someone please tell me if it is safe to have a 22 inch LCD monitor and the case (weighs around 10kg) on the same shelf of the desk. I'm talking about the smaller shelves not the main desk which can obviously hold more weight.

I am not used to putting case on top of desk, but my previous setup on another desk proved that there is a lot of dust down below. Besides, I don't have space on the floor anymore with the Fredrik because the metal bar under the desk blocks the case.

Here is the setup:

fredrik_1080.jpg

My room is very small. You can see the bookshelf on the bottom right of this picture which would block the case. So is it safe to have this arrangement or will it weaken the shelf and one day it might just collapse? I sometimes even put my both feet on the same shelf on the left side of the monitor while I watch a movie or something lol.

I just got a cheap used Fredrik desk. Someone please tell me if it is safe to have a 22 inch LCD monitor and the case (weighs around 10kg) on the same shelf of the desk. I'm talking about the smaller shelves not the main desk which can obviously hold more weight.

I am not used to putting case on top of desk, but my previous setup on another desk proved that there is a lot of dust down below. Besides, I don't have space on the floor anymore with the Fredrik because the metal bar under the desk blocks the case.

My room is very small. You can see the bookshelf on the bottom right of this picture which would block the case. So is it safe to have this arrangement or will it weaken the shelf and one day it might just collapse? I sometimes even put my both feet on the same shelf on the left side of the monitor while I watch a movie or something lol.

Can you get a more wide angle pic to see what space you have to work with?
Can you take the top shelf and swap it with the middle shelf (it looks to be deeper).

Can you take the top shelf and swap it with the middle shelf (it looks to be deeper).

That picture was taken in wide angle lol. And that is the only space I have to work with. I can't rotate the desk in any other way or move it to any other place in the room. This corner is the only place I can put it and in the orientation you see.

The top shelf is same size as the middle shelf. The camera angle and the wide lens makes the top one look deeper.

I had considered 2 alternatives:

1) Put the case sideways on the floor behind the horizontal cable management bar under the desk. But I really want to put the case higher up to reduce the dust level in and around the case. Plus, it's going to be annoying whenever I want to switch the computer on and off or whenever I need to open the case up as it would be difficult to reach.

2) Put the case on the main desk sideways, and then rotate the whole desk 180 degrees. But this would mean that the mouse and keyboard would go slightly under the monitor shelf.

In the end, I think I am leaving the case where it is. It appears to be secluded behind the bookshelf that is on the right side of the desk, otherwise it would look really odd if the desk was in a more open space.

I'm going to leave the case where it is. I'm in the process of connecting all my peripheral back and tidying up the cables a bit more. I got miles of cables all tangled up under the desk next to the bookshelf. I'm going to find some clip-on accessories for cable management.

Here's some more pics from different angle:

P1020816_1080.jpg

P1020821_1080.jpg

Last edited:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/justinwebb24/IMG_0078.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/justinwebb24/IMG_0079.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/justinwebb24/IMG_0080.jpg

What desk is that?

I'm going to leave the case where it is. I'm in the process of connecting all my peripheral back and tidying up the cables a bit more. I got miles of cables all tangled up under the desk next to the bookshelf. I'm going to find some clip-on accessories for cable management.

I'm not a fan of having the case on top of the desk. I doesn't look like you have that much room to work with.

Here's some more pics from different angle:

P1020816_1080.jpg

P1020821_1080.jpg

Used to have a case like that!

its the Vika Amon curved desk http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40173094/#/50178798
with 2 extensions on each side http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10071172/.

I will be removing the middle legs now that I have put simpson ties between the 2 of them. Desk works great and I ended up putting the computer on the ground as its a behemoth.

Good choice on moving the case to the floor. You might want to get one of these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30178704/

I did not want my case sitting directly on the carpet. They have different sizes and this one fits my case perfectly. I used some wood putty to finish the "bare" side and then sanded/painted it. It doesn't look perfect but it's on the floor so it's not seen.

I was looking for a standing desk but couldn't find an affordable one to my liking. Then I found this design by Thibaut Colar from IkeaHackers:

http://wiki.colar.net/ikea_standing_desk

I used the shorter yet wider Vika Amon 56"x29.5" table top and just 4 legs with 4 x 6.75" brackets to fit someone that is 6'2". The biggest modification to original design was to the method of securing the table top to the Capita Brackets. I bought four 3/4" M10-1.5 bolts and four 4"x1.5" flat metal brackets that came with pre-drilled holes for the wood screws. I screwed one of the bolts into the Capita bracket and marked it's general location with a sharpie on the metal bracket. I used a carbide drill bit to punch a hole into the flat metal bracket and then bolted them to the Capita Bracket. I placed the Vika Amon table top on the bolts and marked their location. Using a drill I made countersink holes (or is the correct term "counter-bore holes" on the bottom of the Vika Amon for the boltheads to fit into. After placing the Vika Amon back onto the flatplate/bolt assembly I used 4 wood screws per flateplate to secure the tabletop.

IMO, Ikea furniture is garbage particle board but if you're on a budget and willing to reinforce the joints in key areas you can get by with a fairly stylish piece.

The final price came to $180 for something that doesn't look hacked together and is fairly unique looking.

Can anyone that has this:
shelfr.jpg

tell me how much clearance they get under it? Doing some planning and trying to tell if I can get my receiver under it.

Back