Ikea Designs $86,500 Prefab House Kit

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you really love Ikea home furnishings, why not take the next step and build yourself an Ikea house to put it all in? Ikea has teamed up with home designer ideabox to bring a Swedish styled prefab house kit to the market. Now that’s what I would call a hefty weekend project. :D

I bet you someone after building it is going to have an extra screw or two lying around that they wonder if it was important or not...

Argument is that many people live the apartment life so why would this house be bad... but if you had the parcel of land to build this on why would you want to stick with a tiny house?

I dunno maybe they have 1000 sqft parcels in Sweden?

bitch please

I have yet to see an IKEA product that made it from the van to the house without falling apart...seriously

You know, it's not a terrible idea.

Like many Americans, I have no idea at all whether I will be able to keep my current house when I retire. I'm 53, and still owe 24 years and 300k on it. Luckily real estate is slowly starting to come back and my equity is returning. Slowly. About 20k per year. Right now it's worth about 400k street.

And like most, there's no doubt my retirement will be SS and Medicare. There's just no way around that. Most companies have shit for retirement plans, and many lost their entire nest egg during the banking bullshit that happened a few years ago. And yet we gave them more taxpayer dollars (another rant for another time - Sorry).

I see my bet plan right now as, around 70, selling my current home and buying something in the 150k range in a more rural area that hasn't grown up yet.

Something like this would allow you to put more into the land, and pay less for the house. And when your retired, as long as you got cable and internet, and the dog, what more is there to really care about? The house, a nice detached workshop, and the pickup in the driveway.

My wife and I are very interested in prefab/modular housing and technology. From what we've seen that is currently available, you're paying roughly $26,000 for the Ikea name. :eek:

Seems too expensive for what you get, if it was half that I'd think it was awesome. It looks like a basement apartment rental to me but with all kinds of Ikea stuff to make it look attractive.

IKEA USA had this to say on Facebook:
IKEA STATEMENT ABOUT INACCURATE REPORTS OF A LAUNCH OF PRE-FAB HOMES IN U.S.

IKEA has not launched and is not selling prefabricated homes in the United States. Any reports saying otherwise are not accurate.

One of our U.S. stores, IKEA Portland, has participated in a collaboration with an Oregon-based prefab studio – ideabox (www.ideabox.us) – where a version of one of ideabox’s pre-fab homes is being sold with IKEA items (ie., wardrobes, kitchens, etc.). Interior designers from IKEA Portland helped furnish the interior of this particular home, and an example was on display at the recent Portland Home & Garden Show. Each home of this type sold by ideabox will include those same IKEA products that the local prefab studio will have purchased from IKEA Portland. To make clear: IKEA is neither the manufacturer nor the retailer of these prefabricated homes.

My wife and I are very interested in prefab/modular housing and technology. From what we've seen that is currently available, you're paying roughly $26,000 for the Ikea name. :eek:

Pretty much, just doing a very quick search, came up with a 3 bed/2 bath 1,226 sq foot prefab for $65,000 - right now on sale for $59,900.

The costs besides the house - the land, sewer and other essential utility hookups (and digging), cost of permits, inspections, I can't even think of it all. From reading a couple of sites, all of that is not included in the cost of the prefab house, you're on your own getting all of that.

If you've got a piece of land and are allowed to build on it or are going to buy a piece of land, especially somewhere more rural, you do have to take all the extras into consideration. Indoor plumbing for me is a necessity!

So unless you've already got the land, got all the utilities lined up, etc., this may or may not be a truly cost effective way to go. Might be better off just buying something smaller in a rural area for about the same overall cost.

And no I wouldn't want an Ikea pre-fab house. I do have one of their pine bookshelves that's lasted for about 15 years with no problem. But most of their stuff these days? forget it. Overpriced laminate unless you really want to spend a bundle on real wood.

Oh and Ikea is disputing reports that it's entering the prefab homes market: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120302-710321.html

LOOKS NICE! All you have to do to redecorate the exterior is throw on a new set of hubcaps!

Some things to think about. Although it is expensive for the size, this manufactured home looks like quality construction. A lot of them are absolute garbage. No joke, no exaggeration.

Things like wall studs, flooring, drywall, insulation, roof material, plumbing, electrical capacity, windows, doors, etc... You might think you'll save money on a cheaper house, but you'll be listening to your neighbor's every movement (like an apartment), freezing in the winter and burning up in the summer.

It is not a perfect design by far, but it's not the same quality as a bottom rung model from other companies either. I would not buy one myself, but I thought it needed a little defending.

I'd have been more impressed if it cost $20,000-$30,000. $86,000 is way overpriced.

Looks like an 86K trailer, no thanks.
Pretty much.

Which kinda pisses me off. Its quite possible to build a quality pre-fab home these days that is on par or better than a regular stick built home for a similar price. Its the douche bags in charge at the top trying to nickel and dime everything for some short term profits that screw everything up.

But for the price.. it could even be real wood.
Probably made of 1"x3" or 2"x3"s if it is real wood.

Most new construction these days is 2"x6" studs. Much stronger and lets you put in much more insulation too.

Like many Americans, I have no idea at all whether I will be able to keep my current house when I retire. I'm 53, and still owe 24 years and 300k on it.
This can be a valid retirement strategy but don't buy this Ikea thing. Look for a slightly used trailer in or near a retirement community. Mobile homes devalue like domestic cars so you can easily save $30K+ on one that is just slightly used vs a brand new one. Just make sure you get it on a poured concrete footing if the trailer park allows it. Usually they're on those metal or block stands which shift quite a bit over the years, causes everything to go out of square and opens cracks up on the roof which causes water to get in. Once water gets in you're in trouble unless you fix it fast, so inspect that roof at least twice a year.

Luckily real estate is slowly starting to come back and my equity is returning. Slowly. About 20k per year. Right now it's worth about 400k street.
Probably not. I don't know where you're getting your info. from (hope its not Zillow or the like) but most everywhere people are broke and prices are still deflating because of that. Also homes are a pretty crappy investment to say the least, but don't take my word for it.

Looks like a mobile home so nothing new in concept at all, back to the drawing board IKEA.

Like many Americans, I have no idea at all whether I will be able to keep my current house when I retire. I'm 53, and still owe 24 years and 300k on it. Luckily real estate is slowly starting to come back and my equity is returning. Slowly. About 20k per year. Right now it's worth about 400k street.
I don't know where you live, but my house in PA is still losing value due to all the foreclosures in the area...and the local realtors say there is no end in sight...I no longer live in the house and haven't for the past year, but unless I want to give it away, there is no way I can sell it....so I just let it sit empty.....hoping maybe it will catch fire..:)

Smaller well designed houses are just efficient and make sense, but that seems too small for a family, good for a couple though. Seems like a second story would almost be necessary for a family. I live in the country out here in WI, I just built my own little place ~500 ft^2 and made like an apartment out of it. I am comfortable by myself and at least it's all mine, don't owe a penny and never did.

Ouch, did you refinance or take a loan out against your home? Or just bought it 6 years ago?

I'm lucky in that I live in a fairly expensive part of the world (San Francisco), have a home that is completely paid off, and my parents 15 miles away also have a home in a less expensive area but still more expensive than most the country, no mortgage to think of... basically my retirement is going to by my parents home when they die (assuming they don't do something stupid like fall for one of those reverse mortgage scams)

Do you put it together with an Allen wrench? Does it wobble like an ikea CD rack? Well the bolts rip out of the wood after 3 weeks of light use? Was any of it welded by a chimp?

If your wife spends enough time at ikea many of you will understand the jokes.

Back