IIS on xp pro: I keep hitting the 10 user limit...help??

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
I've been using IIS on my xp pro box for a while now to host stuff for me every now and again. Well, I'm really starting to put it to use and I'm allways hitting the 10 connected user limit. Is there anyway to get around it? Maybe a reg hack? I've downloaded apache, but for the life of me I'm lost on it. I'll keep playing with that, but help would be apprecaited.

I know with 2000 server there is no limit also, but I dont want to reinstall. I would think it would be just a simple registry hack.

Originally posted by El Nacho
I know with 2000 server there is no limit also, but I dont want to reinstall. I would think it would be just a simple registry hack.
Probably not. MS crippleware for ya.

Apache isn't too bad. I'd suggest using that. If for no other reason that security.

Without going to a server version Apache would be your best bet. And as what has been also mentioned, you'd have better security also. Think XP antispy had some kind of setting in it for the limiting of connections, not sure if it works.

there are some easy to install packages that combine apache php mysql, and other stuff, like perl ftp etc.

i suggest winlamp if you just need apache, php, mysql. even if you only need apache, you can just select not to install mysql (there's no reason not to install php, since it's kinda integrated with apache). the installer just makes it much easier. there are other packages with more stuff, but if you don't need them, no reason to get them

http://www.datacaptech.com/winlamp.php

That still takes me back to other problem.....setting up apache is confusing the hell out of me. I just want to host files....

I don't understand, you're using IIS to host files for yourself - how are you running into 10 conncurrent connections? Are you using it for linking images in web boards etc? Or just simple file storage?

Both. Up untill now it was enough. Only a few pics here and there.....and some docs are on there when i need them. The problem I started a thread on another forum showing some work being done on my car. There are about 10 pics in the thread and about 5 to 15 people at a givin time viewing thread. This causes "blackouts" to where you cant access my stuff.

You have to switch to apache, or switch to a server version of windows. (2000 server/advanced server or 2003 server) There is no way around the IIS limitation, because then nobody would buy the server versions of the OS.

Thats what I was not wanted in hear. Any good write ups on how to get apache working. I'm trying to use the documentation on www.apache.org, but I'm not getting very far.

There's also Xitami which is seriously easy to set up. But I still recomment reading a bit about Apache. It's simpler than you think for simple stuff like that. Just have to read a bit.~

Back