IHS lapping results. I hope.

BillParrish

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I havent broken anything in a couple of weeks so i guess its time to try,

Before:

Rig in sig. Waterblock already lapped to 50microns. Precision springs on block holddown should let me remount with very close to the same pressure etc.

Plan is to touch nothng but the cpu, lapp it, and remount as close as possible to current mount, (counting turns of adjusting nut etc. )

ambient 70F
as measured with my precision antique Coca Cola advertising thermo. Its actually quite good, large scale, easy to read.

idle - 37C both cores.
load (coretemp with Orthos 10min +) - 47C both cores.
some variation when paging, 9 sec intervals
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 45 44
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47
3290.00 47 47

If I am not back in an hour, I died with a [H]ard on.

47 is pretty good, but you should let that baby cook in until the rads get to 'equilibrium' with the heat loading. Maybe use TAT also, seems to have more real world temp readings it seems. How wonky was your IHS when you lapped it?

petty bad, I had been using comp all morning and had run orthos in the background while I was posting so I am pretty confident of the 47 C, had the computer a while and I constantly check that sorta thing.

IHS was nowhere near flat. humped in middle and a small hump in a corner. Lapped it to 2400 grit on lapidary gemstone faceting plate.

Results,

Proved nothing yet, load temps actually went up a deg C.

fell much better tho, IHS is decently flat, need to let the AS5 settle and play with my clamping pressure. then maybe the overclock (but I think I am limited by my board).

So, basiclly no temp improvement, but the IHS was nowhere near flat and if nothing else Lapping it makes me feel better.

ambient has gone up to 75F so maybe I did some good, have to wait till room cools off (sun has burned off the haze, I live in mountains).

might as well have not, cant tell any difference. Almost crapped myself on first boot up, I had nudged a fan connection a little off its pins and the thing was beeping like crazy due to fan rmp monitoring. .

Wow, you actually used real tools to lap it? You gotta be a savage like us with the hunk of mirror on the kitchen counter! :D Although I must admit I was looking at the chunk of iron lapping plates available out there.

Lapping was a help with mine, -10C under Orthos using a similarly lapped Tuniq. But my IHS and Tuniq had matching dished areas right where the center of the CPU would be, so that I guess was the worst case senario.

Back