IGN Spoer AU Review

aFive

2[H]4U
Link. They give it 9.2 out of 10. Spore looks to be a good game afterall; something that surprises me even. They mention that this game's lasting appeal is only limited by your imagination; now that's sick!!!

Eh, I've been playing it all day and I'm not impressed.

It has it's charm, but the game mechanics are very shallow.

To be specific, the Tribe stage is the worst RTS I've ever played, Creature stage is just a food chain simulator (kill, eat, repeat; OR if you choose to do it the peaceful way: dance w/ other creatures to ally with them, repeat), and the Cell stage is flOw.

It's clear the main focus of the game during development was customization, which is what the game excels at.
Otherwise.... I'm not impressed.

There's 2 stages left, so I have little hope for it really picking up... but we shall see.

Eh, I've been playing it all day and I'm not impressed.

It has it's charm, but the game mechanics are very shallow.

To be specific, the Tribe stage is the worst RTS I've ever played, Creature stage is just a food chain simulator (kill, eat, repeat; OR if you choose to do it the peaceful way: dance w/ other creatures to ally with them, repeat), and the Cell stage is flOw.

It's clear the main focus of the game during development was customization, which is what the game excels at.
Otherwise.... I'm not impressed.

There's 2 stages left, so I have little hope for it really picking up... but we shall see.

I feel exactly the same, very shalow, no real decent gameplay at all, very basic actual gameplay concept. It's a sort of jack of all trades and master of none, so you get a little bit of gameplay from lots of different types but none are done especially well.

I think so far I enjoyed the tidepool stage the best :/

Stages so far break down like this:

Tidepool stage - Float about, kill enemy cells and eat them for carnivore, or eat plants as herbivore, every few minutes you grow and level up and can mate and do minor alteration to your creature, for me it really was very minor.

Land stage - if you add legs at the end, and you appear on land as a small tribe, you kill nearby creatuers, find upgrades, eventually you earn the ability to get a friend to tag along, so you kill more stuff and get 2 friends, kill more stuff and get 3 friends.

Then you advance to a tribe and have a hut and basically all you do is kill 5 other tribes, none of them are hard to kill, you can control about 12 creatures max, you can kill them all or make friends and once you've done that 5 times you advance to civ stage. You have 1 resource which is just meat, ultra basic build options you can build about 9 different huts which give you tools theres about 3 attack tools and 3 dance/music tools, medic tools etc.

Civ stage is basically build cities which only have about 3-4 different buildings that I saw, theres 1 reosurce still (spice) and you harvest that from guiser type things, and now you're fighting with vehicles you built rather than your creatures themselves.

Thats as far as I got, most of it on "normal" difficulty has been piss easy, and it's had the occasionally really hard part, like when in the tidepool sometimes something 20x your size will see you and chase you, and you can't fight it and it moves faster than you, so eventually you just die.

I got the impression of depth when I first watched the videos released a few years ago, they show dancing etc, and you sort of assuem there would be all these different interactions like in the sims, but it just doesn't exist, it's all incredibly shalow and simple.

^
He speaketh the trueth. It feels more like a low budget game than anything else. I'll eventually pick it up in the bargain bin. Honestly, the motivation curve goes from 8/10 (cell stage) to 6.5/10 (landfall) to a mere 3/10 (tribal and civ stage). Overall the game really does not deserve more than a 5 or 6/10 overall. Just incredibly shallow and plain out boring once you reach the RTS stage of the game. I just hope the Demo (if it ever comes out) will give people not only the cell stage but also a taste of the garbage stages....then this game will flunk badly. It's sad but the truth.

definitely looks like something where the novelty will wear off rather fast with repetitive gameplay...

Atm I can't say the space stage is much better granted I'm only in the beginning of it so it still does have potential to get better. All the missions so far are effectively asked me to find a needle in a haystack with little to no guidance whatsoever and sometimes trying to find the correct planet system to go to in the first place can be a royal pain in the arse.

I'm sad that this game is going to suck, I really have enjoyed most Will Wright games, even like SimAnt, and it just seems that since he joined with EA the games have kinda sucked. SC4 was painful. Pretty, but painful. Spore seems to be shaping up the same way.

How big is the potential for modding? Is there even room for mods here?

I am playing the game and i enjoy it a lot! Yes its shallow on many points , but its overall a very fun game.

I played the game for a good night , and i didnt see time go by!

Anyone can enjoy this game!

Well, if you watch IGN's US review; they do say that the game is shallow. Afterall, there is alot of fun to be had in it.

I

And there you see where the advertising money comes from.

I don't get it. Did somene ask where it came from? :D

I had the game preordered months ago. Not like the reviews changed my mind at all. :p

Back